Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Sport Jet Mods

Default Best Sport Jet Mods

I've been doing lots of reading using the search function here on the forum in regards to sport jets, I'm compiling a list of the best performance mods. Please add to this list and tell me if anything I have on the list is actually not a good change to make to a stock sport jet.

1. Reverse bucket- Wooldridge
    2. Hi Skrew Impeller
    3. Stainless wear ring
    4. Posi-Nozzle- Exact welding
    5. Helm Stompgrate controls
    6. Flow Tec shifter
    7. Stainless Stator insert

A 400 + hp v8 with a blue pump

I ran a 2005 SeaArk 21' with a 175 SJ. Was a good boat, light, gets on step quick and will run in 3" of water on step. What boat are you running? I had a stromp grate, not at the helm, my buddy had the helm lever and the cable was always broken. I recommend a stainless sleeve and the stock impeller and just rebuilding it annually or when needed. I also recommend replacing all the factory plastic bucket and steering bushings ASAP. The silt tears the sh%# out of the stock merc ones. Go with a Scott trim nozzle if you Will be hauling weight. Do some research on the bucket, some of them are really heavy. I ran a stock one with extensions. All sport jets have a good amount of vibration and things loosen up over time, I always marked nuts and bolts with a sharpie that way I could visually inspect for anything loose. Always run a good oil too, Amsoil or the merc stuff only, cheap insurance. Sport jets are great in lighter john boats, but if you are looking at something bigger go V8 and Scott or Hamilton pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Reverse bucket- would stick to stock bucket with extensions, they work just fine. (change the bushings yearly)
    2. Hi Skew Impeller- you will loose top end but hole shots are better, they don't cavitate as easy either (stock is just fine though)
    3. Stainless wear ring- a must (after you wear out the stock alum wear ring)
    4. Posi-Nozzle- Exact welding-- posi nozzle yes, trim nozzle only if you hauling weight most of the time (they are pricy)
    5. Helm Stompgrate controls-- I love mine! But if you pack the grate hard with gravel, you still have to run back and stomp it or you will break the cable by horsing on it.
    6. Flow Tec shifter-- not necessary unless you use overweight Wooldridge bucket.
    7. Stainless Stator insert-- not needed unless you are pumping gravel all the time.
    As AKriverrunner said- ONLY use good oil, I only use the Amsoil (HP Marine), and it is cheaper than the Merc oil.
    A stock sportjet is fine for anything you really want to do with it, it will take you places you wont imagine and burn less fuel than the V8s-- but they wont haul the weight of the V8s and bigger pumps.
    If I were go to a bigger motor and pump-- it would be a diesel and Hamition 212.
    Mike

I was just joking around is all, my old man just got a sport jet and it seems fun, especially running around wot a lot, it is quick in an 18 foot boat very similar fuel burn as a 350 in exact same boat. It has a ss ring and high sckew impeller.

Heck I know you were jolking around. I still really like your boat with that V8!!!

I have a Wooldridge Bucket and would never go back to the stock. Stainless wear ring will be the next thing I add when my aluminum wears out. Considering the Flotec Reverse linkage as well.

I like the Mercury Smartcraft gauge that was installed to keep a closer eye on GPH, fuel consumed and RPM.. Has some other nice features but I just really want to know how much gas is left in the can...the analog gauge is worthless for me.

Quote Originally Posted by palasz View Post
    I like the Mercury Smartcraft gauge that was installed to keep a closer eye on GPH, fuel consumed and RPM.. Has some other nice features but I just really want to know how much gas is left in the can...the analog gauge is worthless for me.
    The Smartcraft gauge is nice, mine seems to be off by about 1.5 gals depending on how full (topped off) I get the tank. Sure is nicer than the analog. The gage has Water temp, Rpm's, burn rate per hour, motor hours ect.. it's pretty handy.

I just installed an arch on my 2012 hewy sport jet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What are ya...a fisherman...or a catcherman?

+1 for the Wooldridge bucket being heavy. It's a little too much weight for the standard sport jet control made by teleflex... I have had numerous problems with mine, but I was rough on it . I replaced the control a while back installed a flotech reverse linkage. Works great but you still have to be gentle shifting into forward position and lifting that huge bucket.

Just put on the Wooldridge bucket with Flow Tech linkage and I'm disappointed to put it mildly. Besides being a total PITA to install, it is incredibly hard to shift out of reverse. I doubt the stock shifter will hold up long it takes so much effort. Also discovered the neutral safety switch will have to be bypassed and removed since you have to switch the shift linkage to pull in reverse and now it hits the safety switch when you shift to forward. I'd just run the bucket without the flow tech linkage but you can't even do that since the shift attachment point on the bucket is drilled oversize to accept the flow tech hardware.

In my opinion (and I run a Wooldridge with a Wooldridge Bucket and Flow Tech Linkage and Shifter and love it....) it is a better set up if used with all the components it was designed to operate with at optimum with... Bucket, linkage and shifter...

No strain, extra effort or feed back on the control. No NSS but I prefer a boat without, so no big deal. Install was not a big deal and the benefits far outweigh the efforts and costs of installing a complete set up.. I view it as a package, if you install less than 100% of the components you will achieve less than 100% of the benefits.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticwildman View Post
    Just put on the Wooldridge bucket with Flow Tech linkage and I'm disappointed to put it mildly. Besides being a total PITA to install, it is incredibly hard to shift out of reverse. I doubt the stock shifter will hold up long it takes so much effort. Also discovered the neutral safety switch will have to be bypassed and removed since you have to switch the shift linkage to pull in reverse and now it hits the safety switch when you shift to forward. I'd just run the bucket without the flow tech linkage but you can't even do that since the shift attachment point on the bucket is drilled oversize to accept the flow tech hardware.

That may be true but I don't feel like dropping an additional $700-800 dollars on a shifter so my reverse bucket will operate as I envision it should. Dropping $700 on the bucket and linkage hurt enough as it is. The NSS isn't a big deal, easy to bypass, just annoying because nothing was ever mentioned on the install video about it needing to be removed.

If your spending $800 on a shifter your shopping at the wrong place. I retail the shifter for $575. You mentioned the PITA installing the linkage so I assume you can install the shifter your self if not we get one hours labor to install most cases and that is $110.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticwildman View Post
    That may be true but I don't feel like dropping an additional $700-800 dollars on a shifter so my reverse bucket will operate as I envision it should. Dropping $700 on the bucket and linkage hurt enough as it is. The NSS isn't a big deal, easy to bypass, just annoying because nothing was ever mentioned on the install video about it needing to be removed.

Palasz hit the nail on the head--- Number one option i would buy first would be a smartcraft gauge!
    About the same price as the overweight wooly bucket and Flow tech linkage, but will give you almost everything you need to know about what is going on with your engine and more importantly you can monitor fuel burn rate (GPH) to extend your range, finding the best cruise speed based on water conditions. Mine is about 1 gallon off but sure beats that anolog guess "O" fuel guage.
    just my 2 cents
    Mike

Hey Tom, so you must be gettin that new wooly out on the rivers and runin it with these upgrades then hu? Good to hear. I bet its a huge difference from those pontoon boats. Hopefully you can run up to the knik glacier with us next time we all go.

Quote Originally Posted by Cresent Hills View Post
    In my opinion (and I run a Wooldridge with a Wooldridge Bucket and Flow Tech Linkage and Shifter and love it....) it is a better set up if used with all the components it was designed to operate with at optimum with... Bucket, linkage and shifter...

No strain, extra effort or feed back on the control. No NSS but I prefer a boat without, so no big deal. Install was not a big deal and the benefits far outweigh the efforts and costs of installing a complete set up.. I view it as a package, if you install less than 100% of the components you will achieve less than 100% of the benefits.

Tom
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    Hey Tom, so you must be gettin that new wooly out on the rivers and runin it with these upgrades then hu? Good to hear. I bet its a huge difference from those pontoon boats. Hopefully you can run up to the knik glacier with us next time we all go.
    Bob the Fisher
    I hear a trip to the glacier is in the works, I'm going if I'm not camping. The last time we went a couple of tourist join for a ride to the glacier. We invited a family at the launch (German tourist) and they accept the invite. They had a great time, spoke a little English, took video/camera pictures, had lunch and made it back unscathed. No one grounded or had any mishaps. Overall a perfect trip.

Well, sign me up for adding the Flow Tech shifter to the list. I stopped in at Burkeshore and checked out Tom's boat and it is a night and day difference between the stock shifter my boat has with the Wooldridge bucket and his with the Flow Tech and the Wooldridge bucket. Mine feels like I'm trying to lift a 50 pound weight while I couldn't even tell there was any weight to move using the Flow Tech.

Tom do you have any shifters in stock now? I have a linkage but have been to busy to install it...now hearing articwildmans issues with his stock shifter may just need to bite the bullet and get a shifter...

Could you pm me a labor estimate for shifter and linkage install?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast