Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grumman Sport Boat...UHMW on the bottom?

Default Grumman Sport Boat...UHMW on the bottom?

I just picked up a Grumman Sport Boat, and I love it! Went in ankle deep water with the long tail before I got stuck. It floated without me in it, and I was able to walk it out to motorable water in my Xtra Tuffs.

So I'm wondering about armoring the bottom with UHMW. Would I bolt just through the hull with wide washers, or should I go through the ribs? How wide and thick of pieces would you guys recommend? I'm also going to research old threads and see what I can dig up.

I've also got some Gator Glide I was going to try on something else, how do you guys think that would compare UHMW strips?

Be safe out there!

Default skids

A PM sent SID

Was good talking to you Sid!

I found where Mainer used 3/8th thick 2.5 inch wide UHMW with elevator bolts. It seemed to work well, from what I've read here. Any updates on how that thickness held up Mainer? I know he's busy, anybody else with experience with those boats have input? Has the 3/8ths given enough clearance from the bottom of the river to the hull over time to substantially avoid wear or should I go thicker?

The T bulb keel. Can I put the UHMW up against it on either side, to protect it, or does it need breathing room to perform it's duties as designed?

I'm pretty excited about this boat. Depending on what's going on with my bear bait this weekend I may go do more exploring. I had a grizzly on it and you still can't shoot them over bait in that area. If he's still there I'd rather not be sitting on it when I could be exploring.

Went spoke to a guy who sells airboats, UHMW, and puts the UHMW on boats for people. He said I ought to try the Gator Glide that I already own before I spend any more money or drill holes in my boat. I'll be doing that tomorrow.

Here's a video of some of my fun.

Be safe out there!

Love the video having spent 15 years with a Sportboat. Thats a 6.5 HP Copperhead? And yes the oar locks throw off some spray in certain conditions
    but having oars for back up if you lose power is worth it. Please keep posting your videos. Kurt

That's a 6.5 SPS Swamprunner from Mudmotor Kit. Can I reverse the padlocks to be on the inside and they still be useable! Maybe put them in the tool box?

We had several sportboats growing up. Dad turned the oarlocks to the inside on all of ours due to the spray. The oarlocks still functioned but not nearly as well. But then again we generally never rowed them unless just plain screwing around. Likewise. Its only 4 bolts per oarlock if you did have to make a long row back due to a dead engine. 5 minutes with a lewtheman and they are on the outside. Id flip them in. Just bolt them. Not rivet them.

Nice ride... I enjoyed it. Next time can we stop and fish... saw a couple of nice holes.

I'll be turning the oarlocks inside the boat this week then.

I haven't been bringing the fishing pole, probably should!

Thanks for the comments guys, be safe out there!

So did you buy a motor and build it from the kit? Sure is quiet, pretty impressive skinny water boat! Thanks Kurt

I bought a 212 Predator from Harbor Freight (had to pay Linden's to get it from WA State to Fairbanks) and put it on the small kit from Swamp Runner. Assembly wasn't bad, they've been working on their instructional videos for putting them together.

It was quiet. They come pretty lean from the factory, EPA restrictions. I put a few after market things on it to make it breath better, hoping it will turn a bigger prop. We'll find out this weekend.

Be safe out there!

Quick question... What diameter and pitch prop are you running? It looks like it's working well for you...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Diameter has varied, but the 7 inch prop has been my favorite. I don't know what pitch it is. if you do a google search of Swamp Runner mud motor kit you'll find them. That info may be on their site, or you can call and ask.

I've been happier with a smaller prop for heavier loads, and hope that when I get it tuned back up with the mods I can twist a bigger prop with a heavier load.

Thanks for the info. I'm running a 6.5 hp shorttail and not seeing the kind of speeds you are getting on a similar size/weight canoe. I have a 8x4 on now but looking to change... Thanks again.

John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you're ever in Fairbanks and would like a closer look send me a message. I wanted to try other motors, but this is what my wallet said and I'm happy with it.

I was planning on selling my sport boat but you may have changed my mind. What does your motor set-up weigh?
    I am no longer surprised at what I am no longer surprised at ---Bill Whittle

Toncord check the swamp runners web site then arr the weight of the motor you want SID

Sell your Sportboat to me, they ain't worth nothing!

My motor weighs about 75 to 80 pounds or so, depending on how much gas is in it. I'll try to get a good actual weight on a scale at my house. But Sid has it pretty right, add the weight of the desired kit to the weight of the motor you're gonna put on it, then add gas and oil. I know that I can carry the motor (without the shaft part, that goes on a different trip) a couple hundred yards from the truck to the boat. Part of the reason I love the whole system is that I can carry everything down a trail, no need for a launch (although they do make life so much easier.)

I looked at other motors. Stumpjumper (couldn't find a bad review) Backwater, Scavenger, Copperhead. But Swamprunner was the best combination of weight and cost that I could find, and I'm very happy with the decision.

Hey aknative1987, did you get weight on your motor/longtail combination? I did not see a weight on the mud motor website.
    RandyS

How did the Gator glide work? I've got a sport boat and I'd like to protect the bottom and make it a little more durable/wear resistant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast