Thread: Hammer Handles 6/1

Default Hammer Handles 6/1

Did my part to reduce the local population of stunted pike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow definitely ripped a lot of lips, that's for sure... mind if I ask what technique you used?

Nice to see somebody getting down to business! Were you fishing from shore or were you in a boat?

Mind if I ask what lake? Understand if you want to keep that secret.

I understand the dislike of pike because they wreak havoc on the native fish population, but pike are actually a very good eating fish. Need to know how to fillet them to remove the Y bones though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayz12 View Post
    Mind if I ask what lake? Understand if you want to keep that secret.

I understand the dislike of pike because they wreak havoc on the native fish population, but pike are actually a very good eating fish. Need to know how to fillet them to remove the Y bones though.
    It's been a very long time since I ate pike. From what I remember I can see how they could be good eating, but to me they seemed like a waste of time. When you say "know how to fillet them" do you mean a different way to fillet other than the standard way? I do remember there being a lot of bones. Although I wasn't impressed with their fight after the initial strike, I probably would target them again if I knew how I could make them good table fare.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    It's been a very long time since I ate pike. From what I remember I can see how they could be good eating, but to me they seemed like a waste of time. When you say "know how to fillet them" do you mean a different way to fillet other than the standard way? I do remember there being a lot of bones. Although I wasn't impressed with their fight after the initial strike, I probably would target them again if I knew how I could make them good table fare.

You initially fillet them as you would say a salmon. After that you need to remove the Y bones which run about the middle of the fillet and are shaped like a Y. You essentially remove the Y bones like you clean a halibut. You get a bones chunk of meat of each side of the Y bones.

Look for how to remove Y bones on You Tube. I'm not very good at it, but have had people who are clean pike and they are great eating fish.

From what I'm told, the bigger the fish the easier it is to remove the Y bones.

I filleted them and they were actually pretty good. I just googled Y bone removal and that helped. As for the fishing specs I have fished quite a few lakes with no success until this one so in that you are on your own I was fishing out of a boat though and i was throwing rooster tail spinners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll chip in on the pike are tasty bandwagon. My favorite way is to fry them up in butter, with baja style tacos a close second. If you are familiar with walleye or perch, I think pike is really similar in taste and texture.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayz12 View Post
    You initially fillet them as you would say a salmon. After that you need to remove the Y bones which run about the middle of the fillet and are shaped like a Y. You essentially remove the Y bones like you clean a halibut. You get a bones chunk of meat of each side of the Y bones.

Look for how to remove Y bones on You Tube. I'm not very good at it, but have had people who are clean pike and they are great eating fish.

From what I'm told, the bigger the fish the easier it is to remove the Y bones.
    Thanks..........I'll look into that.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Lower fire lake in Eagle River. GO GET EM!

We just caught several nice pike out at the Nancy Lakes area a week or so ago. If you like pickled fish, you will like pickled pike. Vinegar dissolves the bones.

That said, fresh pike is great too... yep, we remove all the y bones...not hard to do besides taking a bit more time in the prep department.

Nice catch UtahGuy!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Default Pike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1pw...eature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3-GLr9bTXM

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post