Thread: DG478 Goat Kodiak South Rd System

Default DG478 Goat Kodiak South Rd System

A buddy and I drew party goat tags for the south road system. We booked a spot on the ferry in mid September and are taking a pickup. Planning on about ten hunting days. We're in pretty good shape, just old but, training for it. Hunted other inlands, but not Kodiak never been there. I've only hunted goats once back in 96 down in Seward however I think this is a little different. Any advise or tips out there? Thanks

I don't know if you can pm anyone yet, but you need to talk with Jake (BRWNBR) on the forum, here.

Lots of goats, we had a weak winter so should be good. Are you camping out of the truck? There are cabins at the olds river inn if you don't want to drive back to town every day. Mid sept should be fine, plan on some rain but should have some nice days mixed in. Hides will be getting long by then. Spiking out a couple days on a hike will helpful also. PM me if you want.

Remember to bring rod & reel the silvers are in at pasagshak in mid september, You will have a ball I hunted south road 3 years ago sept 15 -28 lots of goats. I will answer any questions you might have

Todd
    Quality Taxidermy is not expensive it is PRICELESS

you wont need 10 days..but be glad you got them
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Hunted it last year. Lots of goats if you don't mind hiking. Lots of land locked up by the natives and their power grab ($150 trespass fee).

Hey Homer Adams-

i drew this tag would you mind if I asked you a few questions, please drop me a pm if so-

thanks

I had never hunted this area before also. I just drove out the road and glassed. I saw goats up the Olds and I saw more out near Pasagshak. You can see them from the road if you just spend the time glassing. I ended up hiking into Pasagshak Pass and got into probably 35-40 goats. Once on top I glassed all the visible mountains and I could see goats almost in all directions. Not a very difficult hunt, almost like a high alpine deer hunt.

Here's a 478 tip- Don't fall down and tear your ACL while goat hunting. That's the reason I'm not hunting this year. I will say this, there are goats here, but meter your expectations. I talked to several hunters last year who weren't from the island, and many of them said to the effect, "wow, reading online, they make it sound like there's 10" billys behind every tree and it's a shoe-in hunt...but it's not!" Best of luck to you. Not being able to hunt this year, I'm very envious.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiakfly View Post
    Here's a 478 tip- Don't fall down and tear your ACL while goat hunting. That's the reason I'm not hunting this year. I will say this, there are goats here, but meter your expectations. I talked to several hunters last year who weren't from the island, and many of them said to the effect, "wow, reading online, they make it sound like there's 10" billys behind every tree and it's a shoe-in hunt...but it's not!" Best of luck to you. Not being able to hunt this year, I'm very envious.
    Hmmm maybe its just where I am hunting or I am just super lucky but having done this hunt twice (always with friends with tags never myself) and have spent a total of 3 nights combined on the mountain there for the two hunts (2 nights one hunt and one night the other) and have helped haul 3 goats off the mountain. The smallest of which was just over 9" billy and we weren't more than 3 miles off a road at any point. My wife drew that tag this year and if time we may fly down for a couple times and see if we can get one if time allows. If we strike out there, there is always south island registration

i do believe 10" billies are rare off 478 but they are taken...kalsin ridge usually has a few taken off the south end of it, i don't hear of many off the pasagshak or marin range/head waters of the sacramento river area. although a 9er is a good expectation for sure.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    i do believe 10" billies are rare off 478 but they are taken...kalsin ridge usually has a few taken off the south end of it, i don't hear of many off the pasagshak or marin range/head waters of the sacramento river area. although a 9er is a good expectation for sure.
    This gave me a chuckle, because as far as I'm concerned, 10" billy's are very rare anywhere where I am hunting. Good news though for anybody hunting 478 this year, as I will not be anywhere near that area. Ha ha.

haha great point trout! in context though, you often hear about great goats, i equate them to bears, 10" or 10', 9" or 9'....ect. everyone wants a ten foot bear, everyone wants a ten inch goat. some folks think ten foot bears are common....glad you got a chuckle...lol
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Psh I am not selective enough to hold out of a 10"er or know if I have ever even seen one. Been in on a few in the 9.5-9.75" range, but never an honest 10 thats for sure....

If you hunt the south road system with a gun, only 3 things should keep you from getting a goat....

Act of god

Ok I was wrong, only one thing.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by thesalchakid View Post
    A buddy and I drew party goat tags for the south road system. We booked a spot on the ferry in mid September and are taking a pickup. Planning on about ten hunting days. We're in pretty good shape, just old but, training for it. Hunted other inlands, but not Kodiak never been there. I've only hunted goats once back in 96 down in Seward however I think this is a little different. Any advise or tips out there? Thanks
    How did your hunt go? I have the tag for this year.