Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Silver colored bullets

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    952

    Default Silver colored bullets

    So, Iíll start off saying that I havenít shot handguns much and Iím a pretty lousy shot. I bought a Glock 19 a while back and now that 9mm is more widely available and has come down in price, Iím working on the lousy shot part. Last time in the store they had TulAmmo (115 grain, FMJ) that was several dollars cheaper for a 50 round box than the next least expensive 9mm on the shelf. Figuring the more rounds I can shoot for the available dollars the better, I picked up a couple boxes to try.

    When I opened the box, they were not what I was expecting. They had a gray colored casing, which when I looked back at the box, I realized was a coated steel casing. Fair enough. It said that but I didnít notice when buying. The thing that Iím wondering about is that the bullets were silvered colored. A trip to the manufactures website and some googling didnít lead to anything conclusive on just what the FMJ really is made from. Their website says they could be copper or bimetal jacketed. Doesnít say what bimetal is. Other sites say bimetal is soft steel with a thin copper coating. If that were the case, wouldnít the bullet still be copper colored?

    So, 2 questions. What is the ďbimetalĒ jacket on those bullets and should I avoid firing them through my gun?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    27

    Default

    I have shot a lot of TulAmmo through my ar & am. Never had a problem with them. Not sure what exactly the bimetal is, but it is probably just a tin,copper mix which gives it the silver appearance.

    They are a cheap round and not the most accurate but they are cheap and fun to shoot. So if accuracy is what your after you may get some better ammo after you get more comfortable with the gun. Just make sure and clean it and you should be fine.

    Just my2 cents. Fire away!!

  3. #3

    Default

    YES........Send me a PM, and I will advise a safe location in Sunrise, Alaska where you can take them.


    Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    should I avoid firing them through my gun?

  4. #4
    Member Libertine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Murder Capitol, AK
    Posts
    185

    Default

    My guess on the silver color of the bullet is that there is a very thin coating of zinc on the steel jacket, which surrounds the lead core.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    1,180

    Default

    While this ammo may be 'cheap', it is also not allowed at some ranges due to the fact that it can cause sparks and start fires.. The other down side to type of ammo is that it is not reloadable. For some that does not matter, but being a reloader I tend to only buy ammo that I can reload.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    YES........Send me a PM, and I will advise a safe location in Sunrise, Alaska where you can take them.
    Thanks for the offer, but I only bought 2 boxes and already shot one. I guess I should have asked if I should avoid buying any more. Not too worried about 100 rounds but I do wonder about barrel wear from a steel jacketed bullet. If that's what they are.

    Accuracy is not an issue yet. I've finally progressed from not being able to hit the broad side of a barn to being able to tag it more often than not. I'll worry about more accurate ammo later. I don't reload so not worried about the casings being unusable for that either.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    629

    Default

    I've shot roughly 1,000 rounds of Tulammo through my Glock19. It's not going to do any damage to your gun at all. The casing as you said is steel. The bullet is called bi-metal because the lead core has a mild steel jacket and then a copper jacket over the steel. The copper is thin, so it looks light due to the mild steel under it. The mild steel jacket is not as hard as your barrel, so it will not affect the barrel. That said, most indoor range back stops are not sturdy enough to handle the steel jacket and they are not allowed at most indoor ranges. Also, when shooting steel plates, it does spark and can cause more damage to the steel plates than a traditional copper jacketed. Shoot all the Tula you want. That said, it's cheaply made, so it's going to be inconsistent. So you may find more malfunctions than more expensive ammo.

    If you're really worried about it, shoot what you have and then pick up some ZQI ammo from Wal-Mart. It's NATO spec, 123gr brass cased ammo. It's actually pretty decent ammo, but it's only $12.28/50 at Wal-mart. That's a tough price to beat and the cases look like good enough quality they can be reloaded.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    I've shot roughly 1,000 rounds of Tulammo through my Glock19. It's not going to do any damage to your gun at all. The casing as you said is steel. The bullet is called bi-metal because the lead core has a mild steel jacket and then a copper jacket over the steel. The copper is thin, so it looks light due to the mild steel under it. The mild steel jacket is not as hard as your barrel, so it will not affect the barrel. That said, most indoor range back stops are not sturdy enough to handle the steel jacket and they are not allowed at most indoor ranges. Also, when shooting steel plates, it does spark and can cause more damage to the steel plates than a traditional copper jacketed. Shoot all the Tula you want. That said, it's cheaply made, so it's going to be inconsistent. So you may find more malfunctions than more expensive ammo.


    If you're really worried about it, shoot what you have and then pick up some ZQI ammo from Wal-Mart. It's NATO spec, 123gr brass cased ammo. It's actually pretty decent ammo, but it's only $12.28/50 at Wal-mart. That's a tough price to beat and the cases look like good enough quality they can be reloaded.
    If there is a coating of copper on the bullets I have, it's so thin it's invisible. There is no hint of copper color at all.

    I may go buy some of the ZQI, that price is a little less than what I paid for the Tulammo.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    If there is a coating of copper on the bullets I have, it's so thin it's invisible. There is no hint of copper color at all.

    I may go buy some of the ZQI, that price is a little less than what I paid for the Tulammo.
    Interesting, I haven't seen Tula lately, maybe they have switched over to something else. Most of the Tula I had looked almost like brass jacketing, but it wasn't white/silver in color. Might go buy some just to check.

  10. #10

    Default

    If I remember correctly from the 1960's and 70's, the silver jackets on Norma and Canadian company CIL were called "bimetal." Never had an issue with them, and in fact they gave really good expansion control on softnose bullets. Still hoarding a box of Norma 44 mag ammo after all these years, it was so good in fact. Hotter than anyone else's ammo by quite a bit, and those flat nose bullets behaved more like today's hard cast. I.e., zero expansion along with a whole lot of penetration and tissue damage. Kind of the gold standard for factory ammo back in those days, but pretty normal for good ammo of all sorts today.

  11. #11
    Member OKElkHunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    449

    Default

    I bought a bunch of Tulammo for my 380 a couple of years ago. The QC on it is crap. About 1 in 10 bullets either don't have any powder or have just enough to push the bullet out of the short 380 barrel. I've had bullets fall out and hit the dirt just three or four feet in front of me when shooting it. I won't buy it for anything, ever again, I think its crap. If you are trying to improve your shooting skills, it's not going to help, its very inaccurate.
    ďDon't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OKElkHunter View Post
    I bought a bunch of Tulammo for my 380 a couple of years ago. The QC on it is crap. About 1 in 10 bullets either don't have any powder or have just enough to push the bullet out of the short 380 barrel. I've had bullets fall out and hit the dirt just three or four feet in front of me when shooting it. I won't buy it for anything, ever again, I think its crap. If you are trying to improve your shooting skills, it's not going to help, its very inaccurate.
    This is the kind of thing that makes me think I just happened to buy every single box of decent ammo Tula made. I mean in over 2k rounds of 9mm and .223 I have yet to find anything like what you describe. I must be the luckiest person ever.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OKElkHunter View Post
    I bought a bunch of Tulammo for my 380 a couple of years ago. The QC on it is crap. About 1 in 10 bullets either don't have any powder or have just enough to push the bullet out of the short 380 barrel. I've had bullets fall out and hit the dirt just three or four feet in front of me when shooting it. I won't buy it for anything, ever again, I think its crap. If you are trying to improve your shooting skills, it's not going to help, its very inaccurate.
    Ya me either shot thousands of rounds through my AK and AR can't think of one misfire.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mhhunter76 View Post
    Ya me either shot thousands of rounds through my AK and AR can't think of one misfire.
    I recently sent 20 rounds of Tula through my .308 and they all seemed to work. #feelingblessed

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •