Thread: Rode the Bike trails behind UAF Experimental farm

Default Rode the Bike trails behind UAF Experimental farm

Rode from the house to the Experimental farm, Dropped the air pressure in the tires &
    rode 16 miles of the trials .
    27 mile total ride.
    Mt Bike, Hardtail 29er

Looped the outside of the area as much as I could & was first time
    so I don't know the trails yet.
    Was a blast.
    Checked out the parking places on the Glenn side, Mat Lake trial head is the best IMO.
    Saw about 8 hikers & 1 other biker.

Stay on the main trials & they're pretty good. Get off on the side trials & they get narrow with turns & some steep sections
    I had to walk up, kept spinning out.
    Some un-marked ones aren't' cleared , down trees & not maintained, but doable .
    Lots of narrow interconnecting , less used trials if you want a bit tougher ride.

Nothing like the Mt Bike trials in Palm Springs,
    these are doable for my skill level, smoother, wider, no rocks, cactus & 50'
    cliffs to falls down & break bones & bikes.

Did the loop & tried to come out at the UAA Mat Su college but ended up back at UAF Farm.
    Got the pump out, pumped tires up & rode Trunk & PWH home.

Riding the trails with no road noise was great
    Being able to get there on a bike to & from home is nice too.

I think all of them interconnect. Will try going in at the college next time.
    I think a hybrid would do OK, front shock is real nice to have.
    Lock & unlock my front fork a lot, can see a remote would be nice for trail riding. Seemed to always be in the wrong position when I needed it .

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/aspunits...akesrabike.htm

bike trl Mat.jpg

Excellent! Sounds like fun. I rode those trails once probably 10 years ago, but haven't been back since. Sounds like I should make it a point. I took my kids to the new bike park in Palmer today and spent ~10 minutes checking out the singletrack trails from there - really fun, though some of it is pretty swampy. The bike park is a kick!

Itching to go try the Eklutna Lake trail too.

13 miles, Say for beginners, & the scenery should be great

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/aktrails...nc/eklutna.htm

The Kepler-Bradley/Mat-Lake trails there are a lot of fun. Good mix of bigger double-track and tight singletrack. They have been building new fun, flow trails as well which are a blast. Smooth with high banked corners and jumps (if you want to take them).

The Eklutna Lake trail isn't all that exciting, but the scenery is good. Some of the lakeside trail was taken out due to flooding a year or so ago and hasn't been repaired yet. You end up spending most of your time on the gravel road. Still a beautiful place, but not much of a trail ride.

"The Eklutna Lake trail isn't all that exciting, but the scenery is good." " a beautiful place, "

Sounds right down my alley
    Easy riding, good exercise, great scenery

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    Rode from the house to the Experimental farm, Dropped the air pressure in the tires &
    rode 16 miles of the trials .
    27 mile total ride.
    Mt Bike, Hardtail 29er

Looped the outside of the area as much as I could & was first time
    so I don't know the trails yet.
    Was a blast.
    Checked out the parking places on the Glenn side, Mat Lake trial head is the best IMO.
    Saw about 8 hikers & 1 other biker.

Stay on the main trials & they're pretty good. Get off on the side trials & they get narrow with turns & some steep sections
    I had to walk up, kept spinning out.
    Some un-marked ones aren't' cleared , down trees & not maintained, but doable .
    Lots of narrow interconnecting , less used trials if you want a bit tougher ride.

Nothing like the Mt Bike trials in Palm Springs,
    these are doable for my skill level, smoother, wider, no rocks, cactus & 50'
    cliffs to falls down & break bones & bikes.

Did the loop & tried to come out at the UAA Mat Su college but ended up back at UAF Farm.
    Got the pump out, pumped tires up & rode Trunk & PWH home.

Riding the trails with no road noise was great
    Being able to get there on a bike to & from home is nice too.

I think all of them interconnect. Will try going in at the college next time.
    I think a hybrid would do OK, front shock is real nice to have.
    Lock & unlock my front fork a lot, can see a remote would be nice for trail riding. Seemed to always be in the wrong position when I needed it .

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/aspunits...akesrabike.htm

bike trl Mat.jpg
    After reading your post I asked my daughter, who just graduated from UAF, if she had ever been on those trails? She said she did x-country ski on them. Said she saw a red fox back there. Also that they used to play"frolf" back there as there is a course set up.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    After reading your post I asked my daughter, who just graduated from UAF, if she had ever been on those trails? She said she did x-country ski on them. Said she saw a red fox back there. Also that they used to play"frolf" back there as there is a course set up.....
    The UAF experimental farm is in the MatSu Valley. The UAF ski trails that your daughter refers to are in Fairbanks. Confusing.

The Fairbanks ski trails are also excellent riding in the summer.