Thread: New member

Default New member

New member from Michigan. I've been lurking for about 3 months and I have to tell you, this site is extremely informative. So, thank you all for that.

My dad and I are avid bow hunters here in Michigan. My dad turned 50 in March and has always wanted visit Alaska. So, I surprised him with plane tickets and licenses.

As much as I know I shouldn't jump right off and ask for advice, I am too excited to hear what you all think of our plan.

We land in Anchorage on September 2nd and we will stay the night. The next morning we pick up the rental car and head to the Russian River.

From there we will be hiking into the Upper Russian Cabin. We have a bit of a disagreement here. I talked to the ADFG Biologist out of, I believe, Soldotna and he suggested to hike in from Snug Harbor Rd and I tend to agree. My dad wants to see the river so he wants to hike in from Sterling Highway.

Other than some generalities I have gleaned from this site (get up high and glass), that is the extent of our plan. We have 10 days to hunt but we are really flexible and wouldn't mind seeing Seward and Anchorage a bit.

Thank you all for the information I have already absorbed from this site. Without it, I'm not sure I would have been confident enough to plan this thing.

Welcome to the AOF.

Quit now before you get addicted!!!!!! LOL welcome to the family.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

You're hunting black bear, I assume? Sounds like an excellent plan! Bring along a couple fly rods as well, as the rainbow fishing should be pretty excellent then if you tag out on bears early.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Quit now before you get addicted!!!!!! LOL welcome to the family.
    I believe it is already too late. I haven't even been there yet and I am pre-planning a 2016 blacktail trip. My dad and I have been leasing the same property here for over 10 years and while I absolutely love everything about Whitetails, I want to see what else is out there.

Brian - Yes, Black Bears and we will definitely bring the rods. That actually brings up another question. Should we be hunting all day? I would imagine, if they are trying to put on fat for winter, they would be feeding all day. I was wondering if we would even have time to fish.

I can't believe I didn't even mention we were after black bear. I guess that's because it's the only thing on my mind.

engineered2hunt, send me an email to my email triumph.ak@gmail.com

It will be a while before you can accept PM but I have some Black Bear info for you.

Yes, hunt all day. In September you can spot black bears at all hours up high on the berries.

Careful engineered2hunt, I hunted whitetails for 19 years and then moved up to Mulie, elk and antelope. Then I got my first moose down and never hunted for anything smaller again. Didn't seem worth it. Though I would love to hunt elk again in Montana but when you have 1400 lbs on the hoof laying at your feet it can make even a nice elk seem small. Enjoy your hunt, make wonderful memories with your dad. Welcome to the forum family.
    Steve_O

Roland - I will definitely send you an email tomorrow from my work email since it is pretty much the only one I check. I appreciate all the help I can get but at the same time, it doesn't really matter if we connect. I am excited more about the trip than anything. You guys have a beautiful state up there. A place people dream of visiting and sometimes never make it.

Steve O - Moose is my #1. I need a bigger house though. I would have nowhere to put those antlers. I never thought I would want to hunt Caribou until I started researching this bear hunt but they are really cool looking.

Do I surmise from your handle that you have an engineering background?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    Do I surmise from your handle that you have an engineering background?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I do. I am a Civil Engineer.