Thread: Grizzlies over bait.

Default Grizzlies over bait.

Hey I was wondering if anyone is having any luck getting grizzlies in over bait. Many area have opened up the taking grizzlies over bait but I haven't heard over many being taken so far. I have had some nice grizzlies into my stand but not while I'm there. They seem pretty smart and I've heard them in the brush while on the stand but haven't had them come in yet. Any tips or trick to getting them in?

well I don't hunt bear over bait but maybe cover your scent better or maybe make the original stand the decoy and put a stand outside the circle or your bait area at likely avenues of approach since you've been hearing them while your there. cover up the scent of your trail going into your area too at least 100yds or so out. good luck

We've had no problem with griz coming into my bait, even while in the stands. My wife nailed a 8 1/2 footer 2 weeks ago with her bow. He walked in at regular walking speeds like a boss.. Even from a few hundred yards out when we first heard him coming, he was on a mission. The trail in and out doesn't seem too much of a concern for some bears, critical for others. Go figure. Her bear hit our trail about 100 yds away, stopped, sniffed, turned our way and walked right on in. He was sniffing around pretty good the whole time, but kept a coming.
    I spray cover scent when walking in, while on stand, and when walking out. I believe that it helps BIGTIME.
    Rubber boots, scent control, make calculated moves if you need to move, and be FRICKIN' quiet. That's about all we do...

My favorite hunting partner (my wife) and I had kids so we haven't been able to bait in a few years but when we were we had browns come in while on stand. Some people are strict with their no scent routine but I on the other hand do the exact opposite I walk all over the place around my bait I pee all over the place and do my best to be as not scent free as I can be. I want the place to reek of human scent and I do my best to make it that way. It seems to help with bears not being so weary of human scent and we killed multiple bears every year.

I quit bear baiting about 5 years ago, simply because I had so many grizzlies coming in to my bait station that I had a hard time getting any blacks to come in. By the time a black would come in usually the grizzlies would eat all my bait up. Too much work. I am thinking about starting back up again considering the fact that many areas allow shooting grizzlies over bait. Although I'm not too interested in shooting a grizzly unless it is a really nice sized bear (9 ft +). If you want grizzlies to come into your bait, use meat products like bacon grease, dog food, turkey frying oil. Anything with meat products or the smell of meat, fat, etc. When I was baiting the general rule was to keep it sweet to avoid grizzlies coming in to your bait. We would use things like donuts, molasses, anise oil, vanilla, hog wild, jello, marshmallows. If you used any type of animal feed you needed to use the horse feed with alfalfa and grains and molasses. Nothing with meat products if you want black bears to come in.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I quit bear baiting about 5 years ago, simply because I had so many grizzlies coming in to my bait station that I had a hard time getting any blacks to come in. By the time a black would come in usually the grizzlies would eat all my bait up. Too much work. I am thinking about starting back up again considering the fact that many areas allow shooting grizzlies over bait. Although I'm not too interested in shooting a grizzly unless it is a really nice sized bear (9 ft +). If you want grizzlies to come into your bait, use meat products like bacon grease, dog food, turkey frying oil. Anything with meat products or the smell of meat, fat, etc. When I was baiting the general rule was to keep it sweet to avoid grizzlies coming in to your bait. We would use things like donuts, molasses, anise oil, vanilla, hog wild, jello, marshmallows. If you used any type of animal feed you needed to use the horse feed with alfalfa and grains and molasses. Nothing with meat products if you want black bears to come in.
    Last year and this year, my bait goodies have been a combination of pretty much most things that you mentioned, maybe a few changes.
    I've got just over 3000 pics (2500 last yr and 600 this yr combined) showing blacks and browns in and out of my bait, almost everyday, and sometimes within minutes of each other. Various times with no set schedules..
    Both species killed the sweet stuff early in the baiting season, leaving the meaty greasy things virtually untouched. But somewhere around the middle of the season though, something changed and everything got destroyed.. It was a free for all...
    Keep the barrel full, they will come...

Default Browns over Bait