Thread: Edible Homer Spit Fish

Default Edible Homer Spit Fish

Everything I have heard about eating fish caught off the spit is that the cod are full of worms and the flounder are mushy? Is this true, and is there anything worth fishing for, for table fare? Looking to do some surf fishing for a day or two and would like to be able to eat a fish or two... Thanks for any input!

Should be some dollies and kings running the shoreline along the spit right now. Both would be excellent table fare.

Cod for the most part have a small worms in them and flounder are mushy regardless where there caught in AK.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Not sure if time of year matters but you might get lucky and catch a small halibut. Also seems the further you can cast out seemed the better the fish people caught. Saw a real nice cod pulled in last year from a ways out with a long surf casting rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cod and pollock throughout K-bay seem to be wormy, but unless you get a really bad one it's not that big of a deal to pick out the worms with the tip of your fillet knife.

Flounder are good eating if you cook them up right away. I've heard it takes four hours for the enzyme they release to break down the flesh and make it mushy. I've cooked them up within an hour of catching them and they make for good eating.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Caught my share of Pollock and cod off the spit. They have too many worms for me to eat. I see plenty of people keep them to eat, but not me. Kings and halibut are your best bet. A bobber and herring 2-3 ft should give you some action.
    www.surfishingalaska.com (Work in Progress)

Ended up with some cod from the spit last weekend. Wasn't too wormy. About 5 worms per cod fillet. Made for some awesome Baja Cod sandwiches. I usually fish right where the gravel and sand meet just a little beyond the hotel. The one cod I thought would be really wormy only had a few which surprised me. Seen some kings pulled up as well.

Starry flounder are not too mushy.I've eaten a few
    Iv'e caught smaller halibut there. Certainly Kings or Dollies would be good.
    There's a lot of other places too with some decent surfcast fishing.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

In early June the Fishin' Hole should be jumping with hatchery Chinook! Not a wilderness experience, but still alot of fun.

But if you're after bottomfish off the Spit, I agree with Chris. Starry flounder are terrific! Just as good as halibut, although alot smaller.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice, guys!