Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Some Memorial Weekend fun

  1. #1

    Default Some Memorial Weekend fun



    Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff


  2. #2

    Default

    Good to see some jigging/mooching action going on. Couldn't tell from the vid, but you did catch some of your kings that way?

    Kinda weird fishing over here at the moment. Bright sun and flat seas have driven the kings deep, right down into the cod and pollack layers. You spend a whole lot of time messing with downriggers (or rebaiting mooching rigs) and go through a bunch of herring to pull an occasional king. We switched over to jigs to get down through the other fish quick and avoid rebaiting. Ended up with good king numbers while not trolling a foot. But we used a lot of gas between hot spots!

  3. #3
    Member Bullelkklr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    4,837

    Default

    Man am I jealous!

    I have the new boat almost ready to go break it in...killin me seeing it in the driveway with the good weather.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Good to see some jigging/mooching action going on. Couldn't tell from the vid, but you did catch some of your kings that way?

    Kinda weird fishing over here at the moment. Bright sun and flat seas have driven the kings deep, right down into the cod and pollack layers. You spend a whole lot of time messing with downriggers (or rebaiting mooching rigs) and go through a bunch of herring to pull an occasional king. We switched over to jigs to get down through the other fish quick and avoid rebaiting. Ended up with good king numbers while not trolling a foot. But we used a lot of gas between hot spots!
    Yep...the Kings were taken on jigs and bottom tackle...nothing trolling.


    Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff


  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Man am I jealous!

    I have the new boat almost ready to go break it in...killin me seeing it in the driveway with the good weather.
    Work harder-faster!!!


    Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff


  6. #6
    Member Stanly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    954

    Default

    It was nice meeting you on the drive by. Your boat is amazing! Hope we get to meet up again and enjoy a cold beer. If you see Blood Sport, don't hesitate to give a holler...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

  7. #7
    Member Bullelkklr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    4,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Work harder-faster!!!
    I have been busting my hump Charlie. Seriously. I did not know a new boat was such work! I have enjoyed the last couple days though. I got 2 coats of sharkhide on it (the whole thing), got the fishing gear in it, downrigger wired, put down some rubber mats, got the anchor ready to drop, silicone the floor seams, rain-ex'd the windows, ran the kicker and the main....bla bla bla. After starting the main - I am elated to see how she rides - i'm more excited than a Montana cowboy come sheering day !!!

    It's ready to go now, but we have a work deliverable and can't leave until Monday evening. I'll come back on Wednesday.

    You have an open invite on her Charlie - I am a bad fisherman, but enjoy the practice~!

  8. #8
    Member Bullelkklr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    4,837

    Default

    BTW - you are getting good with that Go-Pro. Nice work.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanly View Post
    It was nice meeting you on the drive by. Your boat is amazing! Hope we get to meet up again and enjoy a cold beer. If you see Blood Sport, don't hesitate to give a holler...
    Pleasure to meet you as well. Blood Sport is a beast! The Outa WAC is not mine...I just run the deck and do maintenance. A boat that big requires a minimum of 2 persons to handle everything.Would gladly trade you gas mileage but not sleeping quarters! LOL


    Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff


  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    BTW - you are getting good with that Go-Pro. Nice work.
    Thanks...was just telling a buddy how lazy I was on this one. We were too darn busy to remember to film.


    Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff


  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Palmer, ak
    Posts
    473

    Default

    Awesome video! That looks like one sweet boat!!

  12. #12
    Member Rob B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska,
    Posts
    3,151

    Default

    Charlie you and the guys are spoiled on them at boat. Seriously how much more food booze and tackle can one man need. lol. What a great trip out seeing you guys.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

  13. #13
    Member Rob B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska,
    Posts
    3,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Man am I jealous!

    I have the new boat almost ready to go break it in...killin me seeing it in the driveway with the good weather.
    Let us know when ya want to make a run our together.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

  14. #14

    Default Some Memorial Weekend fun

    Holy Moly!!! SUH-WEET!!!

    Now that is some great fishing and great vid!!! Very NICE!!!


    AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Charlie you and the guys are spoiled on them at boat. Seriously how much more food booze and tackle can one man need. lol. What a great trip out seeing you guys.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Funny Rob, I didn't know there was limits on that stuff or I would have tried to be legit. LOL Let's just say we spoiled ourselves for our annual run...great trip...great group. For a second there I thought your wife was gonna declare BS and stay there! LOL Really glad you guys were able to hang out for a bit...and such a cool whale show right there on the pick..


    Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff


  16. #16
    Member Rob B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska,
    Posts
    3,151

    Default

    Yep. What an amazing time. The show was so cool. Best show ever actually. And the drift on the Out A Wac was incredible.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

  17. #17
    Member Bullelkklr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    4,837

    Default

    Rob - I'm headed out tonight. Going to run up into college a ways, take Esther passage down and then knight passage down to montegue and then back into whittier on Wednesday.

    I am not sure when I will be able to go back out again - we are headed to lake powell on the 12th for a couple weeks. Will probably try to go out again before then.

    Looks like I just made it in time for the rain showers to start :-(

  18. #18
    Member Bullelkklr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    4,837

    Default

    Any tips on where the kings are at? Are they close to shore on the southern end?

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Looks like I just made it in time for the rain showers to start :-(
    I may be out of line for your waters (likely!), but over here that's the best kind of news for trolling. Bright sun and no chop drives kings deep. Not an issue so much if you can go after them, but with lots of pollack and cod around, downrigger fishing turns into a train wreck.

    Drop the light level and put some chop on the water, and the kings come right up above most of the cod and pollack.

    We're really looking forward to the weather change and anticipate great catches in our favored shallow spots. Hope it works well for you, too!

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Any tips on where the kings are at? Are they close to shore on the southern end?
    Out in front of Cape Cleare last week.


    Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •