Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kids with bearspray in Siwash bay last night

Default Kids with bearspray in Siwash bay last night

I sure hope those kids didn't belong to anyone on here. We set up a shore camp early Friday morning for a couple that I took along shrimping for a couple of days. On the left side up on the benches overlooking the bay. Later in the evening a pair of boats pull up past us and dropped the yellow kayaks in the water. The couple had dinner and a couple drinks with me on the boat then retreated to their camp for the night. They saw and heard the kids camped on the next bench above them. Oh well. That's how it goes right? Well later at night in the hours of darkness they both woke to burning eyes and throats. They had been hit with bear spray in their own tent! Really? Come on guys. So now they are in pain and then the thoughts also run through their minds. Where the kids just screwing around or is there really a bear close by? In either case they decided to bail and come back out to the boat and spend the night on it with me. What was left of it anyway. Odds are the kids where playing games as there where no screams or sign of panic or fear. Just voices in laughter.

If these kids do belong to anyone on here, you wish to have a talk with them. Oh. And buy them a new can of bear spray for the next time you let them camp ashore since their can in now empty.

Wow!
    I would have been much less tolerant of such activity!

That is just sad. I think I would have been walking up to there camp in the AM and having a chat with them and waiting around for the people picking them up.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    That is just sad. I think I would have been walking up to there camp in the AM
    I don't believe I could have waited that long.....

That has got to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard of.....

But then again, in this day-in-age nothing much surprises me anymore about what people are capable of.

Oh.....and btw, the troopers would be hearing about this......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

If that happened to me I'd have been ticked. To get bear sprayed inside your tent had to be an intentional thing and that would have called for an ***** whoopin and a beating with a now empty can of bear spray.

My friends were in shock and disbelief. Myself... well I wasn't involved other than to get woke up when then came back to the boat. I almost went over and confronted the parents on their boats in the morning. Probably a good thing I didnt. I should have taken pics of the boats and posted them up here. Poor couple. 24 hours later and their noses and eyes still are stinging. They were far more cool about it than I would have been. We have all pulled crap as kids. This one just crosses many lines. The poor young wife keeps thinking maybe there was a bear in the area? I really doubt that. They spray would have been around the kids tent. Not theirs!

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    I sure hope those kids didn't belong to anyone on here. We set up a shore camp early Friday morning for a couple that I took along shrimping for a couple of days. On the left side up on the benches overlooking the bay. Later in the evening a pair of boats pull up past us and dropped the yellow kayaks in the water. The couple had dinner and a couple drinks with me on the boat then retreated to their camp for the night. They saw and heard the kids camped on the next bench above them. Oh well. That's how it goes right? Well later at night in the hours of darkness they both woke to burning eyes and throats. They had been hit with bear spray in their own tent! Really? Come on guys. So now they are in pain and then the thoughts also run through their minds. Where the kids just screwing around or is there really a bear close by? In either case they decided to bail and come back out to the boat and spend the night on it with me. What was left of it anyway. Odds are the kids where playing games as there where no screams or sign of panic or fear. Just voices in laughter.

If these kids do belong to anyone on here, you wish to have a talk with them. Oh. And buy them a new can of bear spray for the next time you let them camp ashore since their can in now empty.
    i guess I don't understand the problem here... How old are these "kids"? They sprayed themselves accidentally? Sounds like the school of hard knocks to me.

No they sprayed so people in another tent.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    No they sprayed so people in another tent.
    Oh, i gotcha. That ain't right.

Should have got registration number for their boat, I'm not a cop but I suspect that constitutes some form of minor assault, and while they probably wouldn't have actually charged/ticked them for it unless the admitted to it (they often do), most cops I know would have been happy to give them the riot act to hopefully avoid seeing them again in the future.

Call me old school but I don't believe that's a job for a cop. Waste of taxpayer money. I should have gone over and given the father an ass whooping. Then explained what happened. At which point he could pass along that ass whooping to his kids. No need for the govt to step in.

Yep. An ass whoopin would work. Kids and all. Buy Id rather just go up and spray their own tent. Just too keep the skeeters down ya know. That's all. Nothing vicious. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

That stuff really carries. My 7year old boy who leaves no stone unturned got ahold of a can of it last Fall and gave himself a good little squirt. He did it outside but he had enough of it on him to pretty well clear the house out when he came in scared and screaming. Put him in the bathtub and poured milk on him. Took the sting down fairly quickly. I am hopeful it was a lesson learned, but no guarantees. This one is a special case to say the least. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    Call me old school but I don't believe that's a job for a cop. Waste of taxpayer money. I should have gone over and given the father an ass whooping. Then explained what happened. At which point he could pass along that ass whooping to his kids. No need for the govt to step in.
    What? There was a father present? I got the idea that these were free range kids dropped off by water taxis. No?
    I'm not sure what I would have done, but I would NOT have let it go by. Limon is right (if it was purposeful), it was an assault. Who knows what they will try NEXT TIME.
    As for taking matters into your own hands... well there are lawyers who make their fortunes on such things.

Someone needed at least have a talking to. if the drop off boat was around I would have started there and moved forward to the shore party. dosent sound like the sprayed party had resperatory issues that the spray could have inflame.

Dude you are a better person than i am......
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

What are the chances that the bear spray will wash out of the tent/sleeping bags and whatever else was in there? There's no way in hell I would have just let it go. I really don't understand why people put up with kids doing crap like that.

I'd of stormed that beach......
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

I believe if it were me in that situation and I had guest that where involved I would have at least said something. Maybe the kids where playing around and didn't pay attention to where they where spraying the bear spray. In either case I would have gone over there and said something to either the kids or the people that dropped them off. I would have wanted an apology from the kids and let them know that type of behavior is not right. Props to you theultrarider for being calmer than most people.

Thanks guys. In hindsight as a parent myself (mine ain't kids anymore) I sure would have liked to have known that MY kids had pulled something like that. With that said I do feel bad I didn't run over and confront the parents. Not in any kind of demanding or confrontational means. But more so parent to parent. I have no doubt that they would be appoled by their kids behavior and would have dealt with it accordingly. The couple I had with me 30ish were no worse for wear other than losing sleep. 2 28'ish aluminum boats with kids kayaks and dogs. Typical family outing. I believe they were good folks with kids that made a poor choice. Just wish I had let the parents know.

How far away were the camps from each other? Bear spray can carry a long way and it doesn't take much to affect you big time. I'm hoping their tent wasn't spray on purpose. That's what I'm hoping, and I've never been considered an optimist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast