Thread: TRAINING "ONLY" Backpack......for off season......??? Yes/No

Default TRAINING "ONLY" Backpack......for off season......??? Yes/No

Do you use your expensive super serious hunting pack for training......??? Or do you use an older pack for training so as to save wear on your primary pack......???

I only use my kifaru for everything partly the reason I got this was never have to worry about anything wearing out or breakage. Not that it couldn't happen but not something I worry about

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

I train with my hunting pack (Stone Glacier). For that matter, I do most all my training (hiking/backpacking) with the same equipment that I use for my mountain hunts. When I go on my hunts in the fall, I want to be as familiarized with my equipment as possible, it just makes thing much easier all the way around.

When I refer to "TRAINING" I am referring to Training. Which is more along the lines of so called "Working Out" three or five days a week at the gym. I keep my training pack dialed in at 30 pounds, give or take a wee bit.

I don't do pack work outs at the gym. If I am at the gym I am on an eliptical or something else and thats only when at work. When at home I "train" by backpacking/scouting most of the summer. Some trips I take my hunting pack if I am in an area that is open for bears year round. Other trips is simply a hiking/backpacking trip where my pack will be getting lighter everyday. If its a latter type of trip then I will at times just use a lighter REI style pack to save weight sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    When I refer to "TRAINING" I am referring to Training. Which is more along the lines of so called "Working Out" three or five days a week at the gym. I keep my training pack dialed in at 30 pounds, give or take a wee bit.
    I do all my training in the mountains around my house. I try and train/climb year around (but I do it very infrequently in the winter) and ramp it up a little starting in March up until fall hunting season with an average of about 3 (3-4 hour) hikes/week. I usually do several multi day trips during the summer also.

Yes, the Winter sucks, largely because trying to get miles in wearing a pack on top of a parka sucks. In the winter I will use a "Battle Belt" under that parka. Summer I like to do 4 to 8 miles a day with a 30# training pack, on the Hope Road early before tourist traffic. I am today trying to set-up a "Chest-Harness" that attaches to the Battle Belt.

Some how it always seems like physical labor. Being near 69 y/o "SUCKS".........being near 69 y/o in good physical condition.......PRICELESS..

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    I do all my training in the mountains around my house. I try and train/climb year around (but I do it very infrequently in the winter) and ramp it up a little starting in March up until fall hunting season with an average of about 3 (3-4 hour) hikes/week. I usually do several multi day trips during the summer also.

Yes, the Winter sucks, largely because trying to get miles in wearing a pack on top of a parka sucks. In the winter I will use a "Battle Belt" under that parka. Summer I like to do 4 to 8 miles a day with a 30# training pack, on the Hope Road early before tourist traffic. I am today trying to set-up a "Chest-Harness" that attaches to the Battle Belt.

Some how it always seems like physical labor. Being near 69 y/o "SUCKS".........being near 69 y/o in good physical condition.......PRICELESS..
    Well you got about 20 years on me but I often times feel a lot older than I really am. Good on you for your continued training program.

I got the Whipsnake 37 Trillion for training. It's hard on the back but makes me apprecite my Jansport.

Quote Originally Posted by Bambistew View Post
    I got the Whipsnake 37 Trillion for training. It's hard on the back but makes me apprecite my Jansport.
    Believe it or not I still have an approximately 35 year old Jansport that got hammered on my first sheep hunt. The bag is still good though so when I feel I need to "work it" I'll put it on, throw some weight in it, and either get on the treadmill or climb up and down my three flights of stairs with it on.

It's still good for that....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I use military surplus ilbe pack for my training but my barneys on the hunt. My ilbe buckle broke today and i took the barneys to replace it. Keepin the gear on the trail.......l
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

This is a question that I've been thinking about for awhile. The next year for me is unfortunately going to be an off season where I don't hunt. Only because I'm new to alaska and don't want to pay the non res fees. For now I'll be the guy wandering around during hunting season without a rifle but full pack on back. I even wear it on all the day hikes I'm doing now and plan on using it for multi day trips. During winter or the off season your referring to, Id have to check to see if it does fit over my parka....

I don't have a training pack but I am often hunting something anyway so take my main pack. Might be hunting morels,might be Chaga some other wild edibles,small game,etc.
    I need room in my pack for the stuff I am harvesting and the tools and such I use to harvest. Such as my hatchet,GPS,first aid kit,etc.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I have over the years developed a collection of packs. Several upgrades that mostly collect dust now-a-days..
    But I try to train with 2 very similar packs that have in it what I would intend to carry on a hunt. I try to do as much cross country ( off any flat roads ) that I can to keep it realistic as I think you do a much better job working the spectrum of muscles that you will use on the hunt.
    AGL I would be very happy to do 8 miles in a day - 4.5 is about my max at this time over about 2 hrs...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Maybe my style is different than some guys, but I find "training" sessions with backpacks to be important for developing muscle memory with gear lists and what fits inside, as well as how my muscles agree or disagree with a given weight load and config. One load in Pack A quite possibly will not ride the same in Pack B. So, I guess I lean toward training with the pack you're going to hunt with, loaded with your hopeful packing list. That's about the only way I know how to dial in my go list of essentials.

And you do this everyday or every other day, 12 months a year.........???

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bartlett View Post
    Maybe my style is different than some guys, but I find "training" sessions with backpacks to be important for developing muscle memory with gear lists and what fits inside, as well as how my muscles agree or disagree with a given weight load and config. One load in Pack A quite possibly will not ride the same in Pack B. So, I guess I lean toward training with the pack you're going to hunt with, loaded with your hopeful packing list. That's about the only way I know how to dial in my go list of essentials.

And you do this everyday or every other day, 12 months a year.........???
    Over 200 days every year, mostly in Winter. With a Kifaru, with 40-50lbs standard, many days with more. I just sent a pack back to Kifaru with over 400 days on it in two years. No BS. Repaired for free. Train with your pack, it makes sheep hunting even funner.

I have four KIFARU packs.........love'them. They are good people.

Quote Originally Posted by whitepalm View Post
    Over 200 days every year, mostly in Winter. With a Kifaru, with 40-50lbs standard, many days with more. I just sent a pack back to Kifaru with over 400 days on it in two years. No BS. Repaired for free. Train with your pack, it makes sheep hunting even funner.

Ooooops. I lied, I only have three KIFARU Packs, I just sold my DT-3 last week.

I have four KIFARU packs.........love'them. They are good people.

My pack is totally dependent on my activity for the day. I've got a mid-size internal frame pack for backcountry skiing and long day hikes, my "hunting" pack for longer trips, and I think I'm about to add a Stone Glacier pack to the mix. A lot of times I carry no pack at all for day trips. I really don't go out to intentionally train, but rather just have fun in the mountains as my primary form of fun and adventure. I don't carry more than I need, so usually that means something other than my primary hunting pack. When the need arises, though, I don't give a second thought to there being more wear and tear on my primary hunting pack. They're all tools, all means to an end of enjoying this place and this life as much as I can.