Thread: Chitina Dipnetting Access/Land Use Permission

Default Chitina Dipnetting Access/Land Use Permission

I am planning a trip to Chitina this summer for dipnetting above the Chitina-McCarthy Bridge. I was looking at potentially trying to dipnet along the west bank of the Copper river above the bridge, or upstream of the Kotsina River on the east bank of the Copper River depending upon how accessible either of these locations are on foot. As I understand it, both of these locations are owned by Chitina Native Corporation. I am hoping to find out information regarding the land use policies of Chitina Native Corp. for these activities, and what permissions or permits I might need in order to access the Copper River at the aforementioned areas via Chitina Native Corp. lands. Any information that can be provided on this subject would be greatly appreciated. I am also curious about other large landholders along the copper river above the bridge, and what permissions I would need to access this land if I wanted to. If at all possible a map showing the property holdings and their respective owners along the Copper River within walking distance from the bridge or from the highway upstream of the bridge would be immensely helpful. I have tried searching google for this info but have not turned up any results.

Default It's complicated...

Quote Originally Posted by sgabrielsen534 View Post
    I am planning a trip to Chitina this summer for dipnetting above the Chitina-McCarthy Bridge. I was looking at potentially trying to dipnet along the west bank of the Copper river above the bridge, or upstream of the Kotsina River on the east bank of the Copper River depending upon how accessible either of these locations are on foot. As I understand it, both of these locations are owned by Chitina Native Corporation. I am hoping to find out information regarding the land use policies of Chitina Native Corp. for these activities, and what permissions or permits I might need in order to access the Copper River at the aforementioned areas via Chitina Native Corp. lands. Any information that can be provided on this subject would be greatly appreciated. I am also curious about other large landholders along the copper river above the bridge, and what permissions I would need to access this land if I wanted to. If at all possible a map showing the property holdings and their respective owners along the Copper River within walking distance from the bridge or from the highway upstream of the bridge would be immensely helpful. I have tried searching google for this info but have not turned up any results.

Ahtna used to have a map on their site, but they've taken it down. There is longstanding controversy over who owns what and who has access. As far as paying a trespass fee, there are boxes for such, but you're supposed to have access to the riverbank through a couple of narrow corridors. You may or may not be confronted by the armed Ahtna security guys.

There is no foot access to the west bank of the Copper directly upstream of the bridge.

Currently, the Kotsina is impassable by foot. The east bank above the bridge is difficult to dipnet due to the speed of the river and the fishwheels.

For a first-time Copper trip, it's really best to go with the charter guys. It is such a dangerous, difficult place that you need to go with someone who's done it before.

I was looking at potentially trying to dipnet along the west bank of the Copper river above the bridge...
    Here's a look:

if you've never fished the copper...and you do not have a boat....what is your reasoning for fishing above the bridge...if you want more fish...you would be much better off and probably more successful to fish below the bridge....and then make another trip to Kenai to get the extra fish....the best advice I can give anybody who wants to fish above the bridge is...do the same thing I did....what I thought about switching to getting my permit above the bridge....I held off for one year... I got my permit for below the bridge....and I spent a lot of time visiting above the ridge and talking to people...at that time there was a lot of beach to fish from. ..there was probably hAlf as many wheels as there are now...so I made the switch the following year... good luck

Hey can anybody post a pic of the kostina. Just wondering how it is.

I'll be there sometime this afternoon....I will take pictures this week not sure how to post on the forum....I could send by email or text message ....last week some people tried to drive over....didn't make it....not sure if the truck is still there but there was water running over the hood I heard. ..

This will by my family's first time going to Copper as well. For a first time experience we would prefer to dip from a beach or as close to one as possible not really ready to be dropped off on a rock yet, likely next year.

So, we would get the personnal use permit for below the McCarthy Bridge correct? And, when I look at Google and talk to a few people, it appears that I can drive down to O'Brien Creek and pay a day use fee to dip there, is this still correct? Is this were the ferries launch from?

I just want to have the correct info before we go, also we won't be going until the begining of July for 3-5 days, camping as well.

Thanks in advance!!

More fish was a good part of my reasoning, above the bridge appealed to me because there is more river to fish overall, and it sounded like it was a little more challenging but there was not as many people dipnetting above the bridge and would be a little bit less of a zoo than below the bridge or at Kenai. Do the bluffs on the west bank continue on around the point in that picture or is there a spot where you can get down to the river further upriver?

Another question I had is the river accessible from the Chitina airfield and/or is it public land right there?

More fish was a good part of my reasoning, above the bridge appealed to me because there is more river to fish overall, and it sounded like it was a little more challenging but there was not as many people dipnetting above the bridge and would be a little bit less of a zoo than below the bridge or at Kenai. Do the bluffs on the west bank continue on around the point in that picture or is there a spot where you can get down to the river further upriver?

Another question I had is the river accessible from the Chitina airfield and/or is it public land right there?
    I would take his advice and take the charter. Your reasons for wanting to be above the bridge are all wrong. The west side of the river is impassable, well ok, not impassable, but hauling a dipnet through the woods and down a cliff for a few miles will not be worth it. There is not more river to fish from shore, the land farther up river is AHTNA and private property, and the Kotsina confluence is now a real problem to gain access on the east. But even if you got past it, there isn't much good sweeping past the wheels (which soak up most of the real estate now), a lot of silt and the fish seem to hug the cliff wall on the west end up by the point. If this is your first time, and you don't have a boat, you will be pretty bummed out I think if you go above the bridge.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Thanks for the info, it is probably too late this year unless I can switch permits since I already got the above the bridge one. I will try and work things the best I can for my trip this year, add this to my list of lessons learned and do things different next year.

I've gotten several "tickets" from Ahetna while camping within the State right of way. They are worth less then the paper written on. I'm sure a few suckers pay them but I just throw them away and have never heard from them again.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Is it feasible to potentially put in at either lower tosina, or the chitina airport with a whitewater raft or aluminum canoe with a small motor and raft down to some of the gravel bars spend the day dipnetting there and then float down to the bridge and put out there. using the motor to help navigate down, I understand the current is very swift and there is generally alot of debris in the river but would this be a manageable course of action or is this just another case of wishful thinking?

Is it feasible to potentially put in at either lower tosina, or the chitina airport with a whitewater raft or aluminum canoe with a small motor and raft down to some of the gravel bars spend the day dipnetting there and then float down to the bridge and put out there. using the motor to help navigate down, I understand the current is very swift and there is generally alot of debris in the river but would this be a manageable course of action or is this just another case of wishful thinking?
    Just take your sub district pass back and exchange it for chitna I did it last year. Then go to obrien creek pay the 15-20 dollars and catch your fish on the shore. It's really as easy as that

Funny, I spent 20 minutes trying to do that at the F&G office the day after I got my permit only to be flat out denied. Another one of those "interpretations" that change with the wind.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by sgabrielsen534
    lower tosina, yes. airport, yes. just dont b stoopid when yer floatin down
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota boy
    Then go to obrien creek pay the 15-20 dollars and catch your fish on the shore.
    only if theyre in alanthicke enuff