View Poll Results: Do you use a game cam to monitor your bait?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

26 92.86%
  • No

2 7.14%

Thread: Do you use a game cam?

Default Do you use a game cam?

Today a coworker (who is a hunter themself) claimed that using a trail cam with my bait station is considered lazy and a typical lower 48 way of hunting. They also claimed that real Alaskans don't use cams with their bait. This surprised me and got me curious if I'm in he minority... So do you use a game cam to monitor your bait? If not, how come?

I have not done any bear baiting, but if I did you better believe I would use a trail cam. Nothing wrong with helping to ensure you are in a good location, IMO. plus it is really cool seeing the critters that come into the bait. :-)
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Yes I use one. I like looking at the pictures and get some pretty funny stuff!

You'll get all sorts of "professionals" up here who like to talk down other hunters for how they hunt. I have thousands of bear pictures and some really funny ones also. Your not breaking the law.

bait and cameras belong together! I think they are great and enjoy seeing the pictures folks post

A game camera tells you what time the bears come around and if they are black or grizzled. It might explain why you see no blackies and tell you which bait to sit on if you have more than one. It can tell you if you have a big sow coming around with her cubs and possibly prevent you from orphaning the family. The pics are fun to look at... and if you get something awesome, you can enter it in the contest at Sportsman's and win a really nice new camera. We did

This is the first year the bears have taken interest in my cameras so I got some funny pics.

Using a gun is considered lazy and a typical lower 48 way of hunting. Real Alaskans use spears and rocks.

Everyone has a different idea of "ethical hunting".

Yup, I use a camera. Can't use the phone to check baits where I'm at, no reception. Or else I'd likely do that too. I also use a truck to fetch bait, buy bait instead of making it, haul it with a boat or plane to the site, use a 4-wheeler on occasion, and don't make my own clothes out of the skins of animals I shoot.Guess that classifies a born in Alaska Alaskan as lazy? No wonder I'm getting fat.
    ARR

I only baited one year but when I did you bet we used a camera. Actually 2 of them for shots from different angles.
    I think Akriverrat summed it up pretty good.
    If you know you have a big boar coming in why shoot a small bear? There are tons of good reasons a game camera just makes sense.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I use a camera and any other meriad of accessories that make the hunt more enjoyable. The day I worry about what others think about my way of harvesting food for my family is the day I go off the grid further than I am already. I hunt for me and no one else other than my family to carry on a unique way of life that most city folks can only ponder about. When the great SHTF happens folks are going to be looking to us to see how we survive. then we can see who was "right all along".
    Plus it helps me to see the whole picture of my area, I can judge by how many are coming in whether or not to possibly move or just let it rest for a year or so. Great management tool in my opinion.

Steve

Absolutely!! I use 2. They tell me A LOT about whats going on in my bait... Between last year and this year, I've got over 3000 pics.
    Tons and tons of very useful info.
    They record ALL visitors too, good and bad...
    I highly recommend them.. They're a very useful tool, just like a range finder...

I enjoy game cameras so much I put two up year round, always something to look forward to. Like when ya used to have to wait for your film to be develpoed😀
    "f/64 and be there"

The results are as I thought. Thanks.

This year I got a couple pictures of bears mating on my trail cam... Either that or they have a funny way of hugging wach other

Quote Originally Posted by iusckeeper View Post
    The results are as I thought. Thanks.

This year I got a couple pictures of bears mating on my trail cam... Either that or they have a funny way of hugging wach other
    On the trail cam, did they break it.

Knowledge is king and a trail cameral provide a lot of very useful hunting information.

Quote Originally Posted by iusckeeper View Post
    Do you use a game cam to monitor your bait?
    I use a game cam to monitor my driveway.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I use a game cam to monitor my driveway.
    As do I and to try and catch photos of bears trying to get into my baitcan... also known as my garbage can. Its bear proof and its fun watching the testing.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson