Thread: Another regulation question on bear hunting

Default Another regulation question on bear hunting

Is it legal to drift by a blackie sitting on the river bank and take a shot from your boat? I know the regs state all forward momentum must be stopped but what about if you are in neutral at idle or totally shut down drifting down river? I know that shooting from a boat in PWS is forbidden but I'm talking about the Big Su. I looked at the regs and didn't see anything saying it was illegal. Just curious because I had a chance to do this a few days ago on the Big Su but passed on the opportunity since I wasn't 100% sure.

Unless the specific hunt has restrictions (such as you mentioned for PWS), then it should be legal to shoot from a drifting boat. If it is at idle or still moving from being under power, then it would be illegal, but if you are only drifting and the motor has nothing to do with the speed you are going, then you should be okay. The regs specifically say the motor must be shut off, so that rules out the option of idle or even having it in neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Unless the specific hunt has restrictions (such as you mentioned for PWS), then it should be legal to shoot from a drifting boat. If it is at idle or still moving from being under power, then it would be illegal, but if you are only drifting and the motor has nothing to do with the speed you are going, then you should be okay. The regs specifically say the motor must be shut off, so that rules out the option of idle or even having it in neutral.
    I'd have to agree. When they say "forward momentum must be stopped" it is referring to the momentum caused by the motor. If the motor is off, then no momentum caused by the motor. They really just don't want you to shoot from a boat under power.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

ARCTICWILDMAN.... Are you kidding me!? Do you come to a COMPLETE STOP at EVERY stop sign??
    C'mon man.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!