Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 121

Thread: KLUTINA sockeye

  1. #1
    Member fishNphysician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Aberdeen WA
    Posts
    4,516

    Default KLUTINA sockeye

    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Did you forget something, like perhaps what about "Klutina Sockeye"???

  3. #3
    Member Meanderthal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    288

    Default

    What compelled them to produce this video?

    Perhaps they are trying to alleviate pressure elsewhere?

  4. #4
    Member Bambistew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    315

    Default

    What compelled them? Their job is to help the helpless.

  5. #5
    Member Meanderthal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bambistew View Post
    What compelled them? Their job is to help the helpless.
    I like the video and don't quibble with them making it but I'm suspicious about the underlying motivation.

    My skepticism serves me well most of the time but maybe in this case it prevents me from seeing an honest act of public service.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    317

    Default

    What video?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KMac View Post
    What video?
    Ah, video doesn't show up on phone.

  8. #8
    Member Frostbitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!
    Posts
    3,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KMac View Post
    Ah, video doesn't show up on phone.
    .........Or ipad.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
    What compelled them to produce this video?

    Perhaps they are trying to alleviate pressure elsewhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
    I like the video and don't quibble with them making it but I'm suspicious about the underlying motivation.

    My skepticism serves me well most of the time but maybe in this case it prevents me from seeing an honest act of public service.
    My guess is they just wanted to help educate the public. That's a big part of their job. There is a lot of information on that video about legal access points and how to prevent getting a ticket for foul hooking a fish etc. You'd be surprised how many people don't understand some basic information like that. By educating they can hopefully prevent future conflicts caused by trespassing and illegal harvests etc. I thought is was a well done video. Thanks for the share Fishnphysician.

  10. #10

    Default

    The video shows him using a 3/0 hook. Is that legal for sockeye only in certain areas??? What are the regs for sockeye??

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KKohler1 View Post
    The video shows him using a 3/0 hook. Is that legal for sockeye only in certain areas??? What are the regs for sockeye??
    The Russian River / Kenai fly fishing only zones are the only place I know that limits hook size for reds.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Where at in the regulations does it say it has to be hooked from the inside out...?

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    148

    Default

    Page 6 mid page from southcentral booklet, in snagging in fresh water prohibited

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    148

    Default

    looks like page 6 mid page,in all the booklets around the state.

  15. #15
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dudemandude View Post
    Page 6 mid page from southcentral booklet, in snagging in fresh water prohibited
    Oh here we go again..... It doesn't say from the inside out. It says "in it's mouth". Is not a part of a hook still "in a fish's mouth" even if it's from the outside in....

    This is where a lot of the controversy begins anyway......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    1,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Oh here we go again..... It doesn't say from the inside out. It says "in it's mouth". Is not a part of a hook still "in a fish's mouth" even if it's from the outside in....

    This is where a lot of the controversy begins anyway......

    I guess it all depends on how you define the word "in".

  17. #17
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I guess it all depends on how you define the word "in".
    Exactly..... But I tell ya what, pretty much 9,999 out 10,000 "fishermen" on the Kenai will be yankin' it out of the water if it's outside in......or even close to that...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  18. #18
    Member Meanderthal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Exactly..... But I tell ya what, pretty much 9,999 out 10,000 "fishermen" on the Kenai will be yankin' it out of the water if it's outside in......or even close to that...!!!
    On the Kenai the fish will be considered fair caught if it comes in head first and foul hooked if it emerges from the water tail first.

    Now if it comes in sideways like a kite.......... Then you have controversy.

  19. #19
    Member Frostbitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!
    Posts
    3,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Oh here we go again..... It doesn't say from the inside out. It says "in it's mouth". Is not a part of a hook still "in a fish's mouth" even if it's from the outside in....

    This is where a lot of the controversy begins anyway......
    I agree 100%!! To imply that the requirement is for the hook to go from the inside out is just nuts. When someone gets punched "in the mouth", do they get punched from the inside out? Of course not. If there is a part of the hook in the mouth, then the fish is hooked in the mouth.

    What about when the hook is lodged in the throat or in the gills (from the inside)? If the outside of the mouth isn't the mouth, then neither is the throat or gills, so do you bonk it or let it go?

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    1,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Exactly..... But I tell ya what, pretty much 9,999 out 10,000 "fishermen" on the Kenai will be yankin' it out of the water if it's outside in......or even close to that...!!!
    I hear ya. I've had people tell me (completely serious) that as long as the fish is hooked forward of the gill plate, its fair game. I'm usually good to go if the hook is in/on the lip.




    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I agree 100%!! To imply that the requirement is for the hook to go from the inside out is just nuts. When someone gets punched "in the mouth", do they get punched from the inside out? Of course not. If there is a part of the hook in the mouth, then the fish is hooked in the mouth.

    What about when the hook is lodged in the throat or in the gills (from the inside)? If the outside of the mouth isn't the mouth, then neither is the throat or gills, so do you bonk it or let it go?
    If the hook goes thru the inside of the mouth to where it finally grabs hold, it wouldn't matter if it was lodged in the tongue, gills or coming out its bung hole - it'd be legal.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •