Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caribou Hills Fire - UPDATES REQUEST

Exclamation Caribou Hills Fire - UPDATES REQUEST

If anyone has a web site or phone number that can be reached for up-to-date info on the Caribou Hills Fire I would greatly appreciate it. I'm scheduled to head to Ninilchik on Sunday, 24 June for a fishing charter and need to find out if this fire is gonna prevent this trip. I've tried contacting the charter but get their message machine, stating they are talking to customers. Reckon I ain't the only one tryin' to get info on this big fire.

Try this site: Kenai Pen. Borough - Office Emergency Management They have pretty regular updates on there.

I doubt you'll have much trouble getting out on a halibut charter. Unless, of course, if the operator/owner is dealing with issues caused by the fire. Good luck!

Thanks, akfishguy....

I just found the number to the Kenai/Kodiak Forestry Office and learned the fire is moving North, not West, from the Deep Creek area. It is approximately 14 miles NE from Ninilchik/Deep Creek. According to the lady there is no restrictions entering this area from Anchorage. She suggested listening to the Kenai AM 92 radio for up-to-date info on the fire.

Looks like my trip will survive...at the moment.

Evidently the Caribou Hills fire blew up last night, and almost doubled in size in two hours. With all the beetle-killed spruce down there, I wouldn't expect that fire to do anything but keep growing unless we get a significant amount of rainfall, soon.

You can look link to the NIFC fire situation report on this website:
    http://www.nifc.gov/information.html

They put the national #1 priority wildfire at the top of the report -- which as you can see is the Caribou Hills fire

Default Just came through last night

Wednesday headed down the highway was pretty smokey but could see just fine, could smell it lightly. On the water you could see the smoke blowing towards Homer. Thursday the smoke was blowing towards the North east, away from the highway and this allowed us to see it. My guess is that you would be fine unless it is report close to the roads. It was way back in there but visible at the right point on the road. Couldn't see flames just smoke coming up out of the trees. Only delays were on the seward highway before Y to Seward or Cooper landing. 20 minute delays and they have a shuttle car. If anyone is hauling boat MAKE SURE YOUR MOTORS ARE UP. Pretty steep exit going down and coming back. Could easily drag your lower end. Mine are propped up and still waited for them to hit. They might it have tappered more but wouldn't count on it. Watch for the retards cutting in and out trying to pass on gravel. I thought the one was going to roll, not good speeding and going from pavement to gravel, he almost lost it. The guys like us with a load are going to get the worse of it if something happens. Drive safe and have a good trip.

Thanks for the update, akrstabout

Just posted to ADN here. Over 20,000 acres. Bummer and all from a spark while sharpening a shovel.

http://fire.ak.blm.gov/predsvcs/intel.php That is a link to The AICC report. Usually has a little more info than the National report. Click on Latest sit. report. They usually have an evening brief also , and you can check out maps of the fires or lightning that are across the state.

Default Sitting in Ninilchik Right Now (6/22 @ 3:45pm)

Drove down from Anchorage last night, cam through Soldotna around 12:00AM, lots of smoke in the atmosphere but it won't effect your visibility while driving. Smelled like a campfire though. Skies are not smoky in Ninichik but is very cloudy and Windy. The fire may not postpone your trip but the wind and rough seas might. Seas are about 4 feet and gusts of 40 kts. You may want to call the Charter service and ask them what is the worse seas they go out in. Oh and if you or anyone in your party have tendencies to get Sea Sick I would be sure to leave them at home.

Kash

Lets here it for more moose habitat!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Lets hear it for my burnt to a crisp cabin

Anyone hear if the fire went around the south side of Deep Creek Dome, into the valley east of Hill 26?

I am glad some of it is burning, but man... We could have done some controlled burns over the last several years and prevented the out of control situation we have now. Oh well, I guess I'll just keep thinking of the positives.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

I heard the news said it was over 50,000 acres tonight.

The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Smile caribou lk east homer end of fire

Just wanted to let everyone know that a firebreak was finished yesterday all the way to the from the green cabin ( on Matthews trail) above the Caribou and moosehorn lakes to the 500 rd. Dozers then went back and started to cut breaks around the leading edge of the fire. Caribou lk and moosehorn lk subdivisions are pretty defensable now anyhow. Lots of worried folks on this end of things can breath again for a bit. Rain give us all a chance to get ahead of it. Hope it helped folks out on the Ninilchik side.

Quote Originally Posted by bgreen View Post
    Lets hear it for my burnt to a crisp cabin

Anyone hear if the fire went around the south side of Deep Creek Dome, into the valley east of Hill 26?

I am glad some of it is burning, but man... We could have done some controlled burns over the last several years and prevented the out of control situation we have now. Oh well, I guess I'll just keep thinking of the positives.
    bgreen,
    Sorry to hear about your cabin getting burned up. Just got a call from a friend, that theirs had burned as well. I know how much work and money went into some of those places. It will never quite be the same for some. Yes controlled burns and logging for pulp would have been a better choice, but the greenies have to much influence in the ways all of these could have been accomplished. They would much prefer to allow Mother Nature to Run Wild. Never unstood that mentality. Anyway, sorry about your loss.

I've heard no official word on my cabin, but looking at all the maps that have been posted on the boroughs website, it doesn't look good. I'm less concerned with my cabin than I am with all the other beautiful cabins in and around the Ninilchik 40 subdivision. Mine was a squatter cabin built in the 50's by seizemograph crews, so its nothing special. I'd hate to loose it, as would our partners who use it more than my family, but all the same, it would be a very small loss in comparison. I know several guys from work have lost their cabins, and many other friends. Its a shame, but we all knew it was coming. Some of us took steps to protect our investments, others did not. For some, it probably didnt matter.

I hope to go up there next weekend if possible, if we can make it to my place and its still intact, we'll swing by some other places and see what we can do. If anyone wants to help out, has a wheeler or other offroad transportation, post up, I'm sure there will be plenty of people that could use a hand.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Lets here it for more moose habitat!
    Looks like someone sees a bright side to all of the folks loosing their cabins. Personally, I feel very sympathetic towards all of them. I also agree with the posts about allowing pulp logging and controlled burns when we had the chance. We need to become more active in getting action taken to prevent such a major fire in the future. There is no reason to allow conditions to continue to lead to such great financial loss and the loss of so much irreplacable memorabilia for so many people. How do we get organized? What can we do?

Default Mine is gone.

We lost ours, my uncle lost both of his, lots of friends have lost theirs. The # is up to 80 but it will keep climbing, it will be closer to a 100. It is a sad state of affairs for sure, but we all knew it would happen, I am actually suprised it took this long. It is very hard to cope with however, that cabin was a way of life, but so will be the new one. BGreen I hope the dnr will re-issue the permits, thats the saddest part, losing all of those "historical landmarks", that cant be re-built. Cabin hoppin' will be very very different. I SURE WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE NAME OF THE GRINDER OPERATOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Definitely going to be different up there....

Default Not started by a grinder spark......

Quote Originally Posted by kenaislider View Post
    I SURE WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE NAME OF THE GRINDER OPERATOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I just heard from an inside source that the fire was not started by grinder sparks. The people who caused it were those evacuated by the helicopter at the beginning of the fire. The source would not say who or how the fire was started.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast