Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting at Lake Chandalar

Default Hunting at Lake Chandalar

Howdy, I am new to the forum here just found it while doing some research online for a possible hunt next year. I have been looking at doing a fly in drop off self guided hunt up north for a few years and have a few buddies committed to go and some money saved up. Was thinking just caribou but found a moose caribou combo on Lake Chandalar where we can stay in a cabin and have use of a boat. At this point I know nothing about this area so thought I would ask here for opinions. I am an avid elk hunter and have no problem dealing with the back country part of a hunt or hiking but I don't want my first time up north to turn into a camping/fishing trip. I like the idea of a cabin because my dad may go and that would make it easier for him but I am there to hunt/kill a moose and hopefully a caribou but don't want to have to hike ten miles a day to find animals. I read a few posts that make me think it is a popular place to begin raft hunts so am a little worried it might be a little busy with transporters and hunters? Should I keep looking at this hunt or go somewhere farther off the beaten path? My worst nightmare is finally getting to hunt up north and then be dropped off with a bunch of other guys where I can't enjoy the solitude and remoteness I have always read about. Thanks for any input or advise. nwhunter

Beautiful area to camp, but skimpy pickings for caribou.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

"My worst nightmare is finally getting to hunt up north and then be dropped off with a bunch of other guys where I can't enjoy the solitude and remoteness I have always read about."

That is what residents say too!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by nwhunter View Post
    but don't want to have to hike ten miles a day to find animals. I read a few posts that make me think it is a popular place to begin raft hunts so am a little worried it might be a little busy with transporters and hunters? Should I keep looking at this hunt or go somewhere farther off the beaten path? My worst nightmare is finally getting to hunt up north and then be dropped off with a bunch of other guys where I can't enjoy the solitude and remoteness I have always read about. Thanks for any input or advise. nwhunter
    Sound kinda spoiled. Hate to say it, but The remote and solitude are not really remote or silent anymore. Granted there are a few exceptions, but your likely gonna see people, and hafto hike alot and do alotta glassing for any game, especially " trophy" animals. Your not one a those fellas are you? Wherever you decide, give it your best efforts, enjoy your hunt regardless of what happens along the way, and do alot of glassing.....if anything, you'll gain experience and know more about the area next time. Research, study maps, watch updates on caribou migration routes and wildfires, anything that can aid you in your decision....

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Sound kinda spoiled. Hate to say it, but The remote and solitude are not really remote or silent anymore. Granted there are a few exceptions, but your likely gonna see people, and hafto hike alot and do alotta glassing for any game, especially " trophy" animals. Your not one a those fellas are you? Wherever you decide, give it your best efforts, enjoy your hunt regardless of what happens along the way, and do alot of glassing.....if anything, you'll gain experience and know more about the area next time. Research, study maps, watch updates on caribou migration routes and wildfires, anything that can aid you in your decision....
    I don't think solitude and remote hunting are at all gone in Alaska! My last moose hunt was a couple of years ago and we didn't see a soul, and the place was crawling with game. And it was VERY remote. I will do another like it this fall. I place hunters in these situations fairly frequently. I make no guarantees about solitude, however, as I have no idea what other random air charter may show up, or what doctor or dentist from Anchorage will fly in aboard their own aircraft, see the tents of my hunters, and figure it's a good spot to drop in.

Whenever I hear that "it's not like it used to be" my first thought is that nothing is like it used to be (you and I included). And, speaking for myself, my memory is a clever liar, turning what were actually pretty plain, raw experiences into grand adventures. It's not intentional, but on the hunts I re-live years after the event, I am stronger, the colors are more vibrant, the shots are longer, the animals larger, and the experience is unspoiled by even a single over-flying aircraft. I suspect if I could actually re-live some of my Arctic hunts again, I would be unpleasantly surprised at how little they resemble the hunt in my mind.

I agree that you have to work for it. But I cannot remember a time when that was not the case.

If license and tag sales are almost level with what they were over the last thirty years or so, and they nearly are (slight increase, but not much), then how is it possible that solitude is gone? No, I think what is happening is that hunters are crowding certain spots, and vast areas remain untouched. In my business, I believe a major contributing factor to why hunters overcrowd these few places is simple. They don't yet know how to do good research on new hunting areas.

To the OP I say, "Go for it!" Your adventure awaits. It will be what you make of it.
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Have you googled it? It's known by "Chandalar Lake". There is a runway there.............I mean a real runway. Plus the lake will take any size float plane around.
    There is a weather station there that may be staffed.
    You will have great fishing. Tremendous views. Little solitude. Other hunters likely.
    (edited)
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 05-30-2015 at 05:11.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

nwhunter, I'm not sure I'd follow this guy's advice... he just posted this in another thread, "Screw non res hunters anyway."

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    I don't think solitude and remote hunting are at all gone in Alaska! My last moose hunt was a couple of years ago and we didn't see a soul, and the place was crawling with game. And it was VERY remote. I will do another like it this fall. I place hunters in these situations fairly frequently. I make no guarantees about solitude, however, as I have no idea what other random air charter may show up, or what doctor or dentist from Anchorage will fly in aboard their own aircraft, see the tents of my hunters, and figure it's a good spot to drop in.

Whenever I hear that "it's not like it used to be" my first thought is that nothing is like it used to be (you and I included). And, speaking for myself, my memory is a clever liar, turning what were actually pretty plain, raw experiences into grand adventures. It's not intentional, but on the hunts I re-live years after the event, I am stronger, the colors are more vibrant, the shots are longer, the animals larger, and the experience is unspoiled by even a single over-flying aircraft. I suspect if I could actually re-live some of my Arctic hunts again, I would be unpleasantly surprised at how little they resemble the hunt in my mind.

I agree that you have to work for it. But I cannot remember a time when that was not the case.

If license and tag sales are almost level with what they were over the last thirty years or so, and they nearly are (slight increase, but not much), then how is it possible that solitude is gone? No, I think what is happening is that hunters are crowding certain spots, and vast areas remain untouched. In my business, I believe a major contributing factor to why hunters overcrowd these few places is simple. They don't yet know how to do good research on new hunting areas.

To the OP I say, "Go for it!" Your adventure awaits. It will be what you make of it.
    Remote is remote still sure....but only if you have resources, like being rich, have a plane, or have hook ups...... Otherwise, if your just a blue collar workin man with a family to raise. like most of AK ( myself included) you can't even fill your freezer most years. But gettin the young ones out and experiencing all that AK is, even if we don't get to eat game meat that year, is better than nothin I guess. Still, I think non res hunters should be the ones to work hardest for success.

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by AK Predator View Post
    nwhunter, I'm not sure I'd follow this guy's advice... he just posted this in another thread, "Screw non res hunters anyway."

yea in the thread regarding aerial sheep spotting. (edited) I have honest advice. And as an Alaskan who was both born n raised here, i do dislike non res trophy sheep hunters. The ones who fly over get spotted and then climb up the next morning and get thier easy meal ram they paid $$$$ for. Wildlife should not be for sale.
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 05-30-2015 at 05:22.

Release Lake Trout

Remote is remote still sure....but only if you have resources, like being rich, have a plane, or have hook ups...... Otherwise, if your just a blue collar workin man with a family to raise. like most of AK ( myself included) you can't even fill your freezer most years. But gettin the young ones out and experiencing all that AK is, even if we don't get to eat game meat that year, is better than nothin I guess. Still, I think non res hunters should be the ones to work hardest for success.
    I'm a blue-collar worker, I'm certainly not rich, don't own an airplane either. Both of the hunts I spoke of were standard, off-the-shelf charter hunts. Anyone who has saved up for a mid-range fly out hunt could do it. It's not a big deal.

Caribou use the area around Chandalar Lake in spring, but they are usually not around the lake in September. At least we've never seen them there past April/May.

nwhunter,

You might want to consider renting/buying a tent with a wood stove and having your air taxi drop you off somewhere away from a known strip. Talk to your air taxi about options. I'd be a fan of a cabin too if it were raining/snowing sideways, but if hunting is your #1 priority you had better look for something more remote and less cozy.

Thanks guys for the replies. I am going to keep exploring my options. I have slept out under the trees many times and guide elk hunting in what most consider sheep country so working hard to have a chance at success is what I would expect on any hunt . The cabin would be a luxury that I would pass on for a tent if it upped my odds of success which it sounds like it will. I understand residents feelings for nonres hunters its pretty normal so that wont sway me, there are still many helpful kind people I have met in every state I have hunted and Im sure Alaska is no different. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by nwhunter View Post
    Thanks guys for the replies. I am going to keep exploring my options. I have slept out under the trees many times and guide elk hunting in what most consider sheep country so working hard to have a chance at success is what I would expect on any hunt . The cabin would be a luxury that I would pass on for a tent if it upped my odds of success which it sounds like it will. I understand residents feelings for nonres hunters its pretty normal so that wont sway me, there are still many helpful kind people I have met in every state I have hunted and Im sure Alaska is no different. Thanks again.
    Sounds like you're perceptive enough to realize that the negative posters are very much in the minority here. The majority of us are from outside Alaska, and we remember what it was like to be exactly where you are in this. We were there too. Best of luck on your adventure! Don't forget to catch us up on how it all goes down!

-Mike

Sorry, but this just sounds like whining. There are plenty of places in AK that can be hunted if a hunter is willing to hike a little bit off the road system or the ATV trail, lots of "blue collar" Alaskans use this recipe for success every fall. Try hiking for 1/2 mile off of the road system, or off of an ATV trail, or in the non-motorized area of the Denali Highway, and you'd be surprised how remote you can get.

Off subject again Isn't Lake Chandalar where that guy on the reality show LIFE BELOW ZERO supposedly lives and walks out 60 miles every year
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    Sorry, but this just sounds like whining. There are plenty of places in AK that can be hunted if a hunter is willing to hike a little bit off the road system or the ATV trail, lots of "blue collar" Alaskans use this recipe for success every fall. Try hiking for 1/2 mile off of the road system, or off of an ATV trail, or in the non-motorized area of the Denali Highway, and you'd be surprised how remote you can get.
    I hunt on foot. I don't own any toys.

Release Lake Trout

Doesn't Obama have a program to help folks afford toys?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Doesn't Obama have a program to help folks afford toys?
    Even if he did.... Just say no to Obama.

if your wanting to push some insult and get a reaction you've failed.

Release Lake Trout

Not trying to tell you what to do - but if I were in that situation, I'd probably scout some spots where I could hike a little ways off the Denali Highway and leave the road hunters behind. It's a bit of work to haul a caribou back to the truck if you're hunting alone, but well worth it when you have that meat back at home.

Best of luck to you this fall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast