Thread: Bear Viewing

Default Bear Viewing

Have friends up last two weeks of June and first two weeks of August and would like to take them down to the Katmai if the Bears are around the Falls. Any other suggestions where we get a 185 on straight float in

Many Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You talking about McNeil River or Brooks Camp. If the latter, just land in the lake and taxi up to the beach. The falls are just around the corner in the Brooks River. The Ranger will no doubt meet your airplane on the beach . . .

Thanks Grizz. The Brooks is the easiest solution when the Bears are in. If the Bears are not at the falls any thoughts on alternate locations. Suppose I could land in the creek at Halo Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by cplne View Post
    Thanks Grizz. The Brooks is the easiest solution when the Bears are in. If the Bears are not at the falls any thoughts on alternate locations. Suppose I could land in the creek at Halo Bay.

Well, the kings and reds usually start early in June. The silvers, of course, don't usually arrive until August. Brooks will be just as early as most of the rest of that part of Alaska, so I'd stick with that. Most of the lakes are farther upstream from salt water, but most of them farther south are good a bit later in the season.

There is a chart showing the best times to see bears a Brooks falls here at this website:
    http://www.nps.gov/katm/planyourvisit/bear-watching.htm

Depending on the wind velocity you can land in Naknek Lake (most of the time) or at the upper end at Brooks lake when the water is too rough at Naknek Lake. Either way, it's a bit of a walk to Brooks Falls.

It's been said that Brooks and McNeil are the only two places in Alaska where salmon actually have to negotiate real "falls". That's not really true . . . Bear Falls, at the lower end of Lower Russian Lake on the Kenai, is another . . .

Thanks Monguse, that's much closer