Thread: I need some ideas for a used bike

Default I need some ideas for a used bike

A friend and I are looking for used bikes. We've both ridden some, but not a lot. We will be riding the Eklutna lake trail this summer, and just some general trail riding in the Willow/Talkeetna area, nothing extreme at all.
    I've had a Schwinn for 20 years for riding pavement, but since moving to AK I've not ridden at all.
    We aren't looking for anything fancy or expensive. I'd like to be $400 or less.
    I'm 5' 10" and 180 lbs, she's 5'3" and about 135.
    I have no idea what size, brand, really dont know what to look for in a used bike. I've looked on Alaskalist and Craigslist, a lot to choose from.
    I'm out of state for a couple weeks but would like to find something by mid June.
    Do most of the bike shops sell used bikes?
    I saw a pair of Scott Vantage 1.0 on Alaskalist for $400, looked like nice bikes.
    Appreciate it if anyone can throw out some names of decent bikes.

I really like Kona bikes. Go to Backcountry Bikes in Palmer or Wasilla and they can figure out what size you are.

Good one on CL .
    woman's size: http://anchorage.craigslist.org/bik/5036985750.html

More $$$ but nice bike: http://anchorage.craigslist.org/bik/4982714164.html

Men size , you probably fit a 17.5" or 18" (measured from center of peddle axle to top of seat post.
    Size important for comfort & stand over clearance
    (especially guys, a mt. bike you need to be able to come off the seat & not bang your junk

29" spendy but good one, but your size : http://anchorage.craigslist.org/bik/5008530044.html
    Nice hybrid (ok for trails & road) : http://anchorage.craigslist.org/bik/5038616191.html
    Watch CL , one will show up

The 29ers (29" tires) ride roads & trails well, front shock, disc brakes nice, I see some decent 26" hybrids & Mt bike on there too.
    29", smoother ride & roll over stuff & bumps better than 26".

Thanks for replies, very helpful info mudbuddy!
    I know that ideally, I should go into a bike shop and figure out the best size, maybe I'll try to get into a shop here and ask some questions before I come back up to AK. Looks like some nice bikes on CL but out of my pricerange.
    I'll keep looking, but the provided info helps me a lot! From what I've been seeing, a 29 inch would be preferable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    We aren't looking for anything fancy or expensive. I'd like to be $400 or less.
    I've had good luck with used Navaros (REI brand). I think that they are a common brand for people to purchase and not use that much and sell as soon as one thing goes wrong. They have a bit of quality, while not being a brand that hammer heads will sniff at, so they tend to not get hammered to hard on the trails. I'm not saying to buy a Navaro knew, but I've had luck with them used.

I'm 5' 10" and 180 lbs, she's 5'3" and about 135.
    I have no idea what size, brand, really dont know what to look for in a used bike. .
    Frame geometry is inconsistent. For traditionally sized mountain bikes, take your inseam and multiply by .6. I have a 32 inch inseam and I ride a 20 or 21" frame. For non traditionally sized frames you are a medium and your wife is a small. At any rate, if the bike has a flat top tube, you should be able to stand over your frame and have a small amount of space between the bottom of your crotch and your top tube.

Do most of the bike shops sell used bikes?.

No

Appreciate it if anyone can throw out some names of decent bikes.
    for $400 you don't want the name of a decent bike. You want the name of a decent derailiure. Find a bike that has Shimano SLX printed on the rear derailleur (maybe Deore Direct, but not Alevio or Acera. Or find a bike that has a SRAM X7 derailure. X9 is better, X5 might be good enough. If it has less than X5, the bike is a hunk-a-junk.

Things to look for:

It should shift smoothly.
    You should be comfortable when you lean forward on the handlebars.
    The bottom bracket (goes from the crankarms through the frame) should not have side to side play.
    The wheels should be true. Spin them and see if they wobble much.

Check out The Hoarding Marmot in Anchorage across from REI. It's a used gear shop and they had some pretty nice used bikes last time I was in there.

Great information Brian, thanks a ton for taking the time.
    I've called some shops and found out they dont sell used. Tons of bikes on Craigslist and Alaskaslist, so your info if very helpful.

Shipping one up with you ? ?
    Buy a used one there, prob a lot to choose from.
    if baggage fee not to bad, may save $$
    AK 49er club ?

Going to a bike shop to find out the size you need is a good idea. I bought a Trek 29er a few years ago. ($700 and change) Couldn't be happier. Last year I found a used Trek 29er on CL for less than a third of what the guy paid for it. He had only ridden it one time for a total of 5 miles. Good deals are out there. (seller had $1200 in it. I got it for $350)
    On the one I bought new, I added an extension to raise the handle bar so I don't have to ride hunched over. Both bikes got a much better seat put on them also. I'm not a fan of the hatchet head seat most bikes come with. Fenders are nice, and so is a rack so you can bring things along. Watch for a used bike carrier to put on you vehicle, and you'll be golden.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

No I wont be able to buy here and bring up with me, already have too much to bring up to the cabin. I think I'll keep watching Craigslist for deals, and will go into a shop next week and take a look at different sizes and see what's available. Probably pretty important to test fit some bikes so I dont end up with the wrong size.
    Thanks again for the responses!