Thread: Trophy Halibut

Default Trophy Halibut

If you could fly anywhere in AK, Where would you stand the best chance of catching trophy sized Halibut? Kodiak? Dutch?

Definitely Dutch over Kodiak.

there are more large butt in dutch, but the correct spot at the correct time will help the best , SID

No matter where you go, big halibut are targeted wtih big bait. I've got lots of spots I thought were just chicken holes.....but then I dropped down a 26 inch filleted coho ro sockeye carcass and crack a beer......when that rod goes off you are lookin at 70 plus pounds every time. Triple digit fish happen all over SE as well.

Gustavus, Elfin Cove or Pelican.
    Just look at photos of barndoor halibuts from fishing lodges in these locations. I have personal experiences in Elfin Cove to vouch for their photos.
    Their photos are also supported by Alaksa Fish and Game website's statistic on average halibut caught all over Alaska.

Huge bait catches big halibut. I used to always fish with at least a salmon head. Might only get one bite but it would be a bigger fish. My bet would be Dutch and spend lots of time soaking a when pink salmon.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Leave those large fish alone. Those are the breeding females and the source of all future halibut. The retention rules for halibut are becoming more restrictive by the year for charter boats and their clients.

Yes, put the big ones back. The longliners will sure appreciate it.

I don't enjoy fishing for Halibut that much... if I catch one while fishing for something else I will keep it if its a decent fish, but I am most certainly not out fishing for monsters any more and if I someday do hook one I will snap a few photos at surface and let it go.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson