Thread: Sharkhide In Anchorage?

Default Sharkhide In Anchorage?

Do you guys know if anywhere in town carries Sharkhide?

I have bought it several years ago at the Suzuki Arctic Cat dealer on Commercial Dr. Not sure if they still carry it, but would try there first.
    2007 26' Northriver OS, Suzuki 300.

Burkeshore Marina carries it in Quarts.

Tom

Suzuki Arctic Cat carries Shark Hide.

Ok, thanks for the help!

Greer tank
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

What do you do with shark hide? If you don't mind me asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just finished putting on 2 coats of it on my boat. I put it over everything except the glass and the zincs and the motors. It came out really good. If it holds up like the manufactures says, I will be impressed.

It is a metal protectant. It stops the aluminum from oxidizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I just finished putting on 2 coats of it on my boat. I put it over everything except the glass and the zincs and the motors. It came out really good. If it holds up like the manufactures says, I will be impressed.

It is a metal protectant. It stops the aluminum from oxidizing.
    I would imagine you need to prep/clean the aluminum first before applying the sharkhide?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

This application was on a new boat. I washed it down with car wash soap then I wiped it with laquer thinner, then applied two coats of sharkhide. I definitely missed spots on the first sharkhide application, the second coat picked up those spots and double coated the rest.

I didn't realize how much surface area there is on a 22' boat. It was more like painting a car with a rag than wiping it down.\

If you have oxidation already on a used boat you would need to chemically strip it and then buff/polish it out, then wash it, then laquer thinner, then sharkhide.

The manufacture has good q&a here http://www.sharkhide.com/ .

I have used Shark hide on two boats, it works great, Yes you must first polish it, then follow the instruction on the can to apply, it is weird to just wipe it on with a rag but it works well, my 34 foot boat still shines after 6 years. It really stops the oxidation and turning gray that typically happens to aluminum boats, I think it helps keep the boat slicker for faster speeds on the water, less fuel burn. It can be purchased on line from the manufacture also. Good boating. Gerberman

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    This application was on a new boat. I washed it down with car wash soap then I wiped it with laquer thinner, then applied two coats of sharkhide. I definitely missed spots on the first sharkhide application, the second coat picked up those spots and double coated the rest.

I didn't realize how much surface area there is on a 22' boat. It was more like painting a car with a rag than wiping it down.\

If you have oxidation already on a used boat you would need to chemically strip it and then buff/polish it out, then wash it, then laquer thinner, then sharkhide.

The manufacture has good q&a here http://www.sharkhide.com/ .
    Thanks for that info....I may try it.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you put Sharkhide on over bottom paint or do you need to strip the paint off to put the s...hide on the hull?

How much do you need to do a 21' boat in two coats and what is the ballpark cost? I'll probably be doing this soon.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jrddiver View Post
    Can you put Sharkhide on over bottom paint or do you need to strip the paint off to put the s...hide on the hull?
    You could put sharkskin over the bottom paint, but why would you want to? Bottom paint is used to reduce marine growth on the boat. Putting anything over the bottom paint would increase marine growth.

If you put sharkskin over the area that is not protected by the bottom paint, the boat would look pretty and you would still have protection. Assuming the bottom paint is still active.

1 quart does a 21' river boat easily. Roughly $70 bucks

Quote Originally Posted by Grayling Slayer View Post
    How much do you need to do a 21' boat in two coats and what is the ballpark cost? I'll probably be doing this soon.

Question re sharkskin over bottom paint...... To improve fuel burn.

......."I think it helps keep the boat slicker for faster speeds on the water, less fuel burn".
    Gerberman