Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member, how's it going!

Default New member, how's it going!

Hey everybody just wanted to introduce myself, I am a U.S. Airman getting stationed up at Elmendorf AFB! I am super pumped as I am a very big outdoorsman. I'm from illinois so adjusting to Alaska will be different for sure. I am big into archery hunting, fishing, and would like to learn fly fishing! Looking forward to meeting everybody!

-SetchImageUploadedByTapatalk1432765024.587457.jpg

Welcome!

That is one weird looking caribou.
    Seriously, though, nice buck!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by Setch View Post
    Hey everybody just wanted to introduce myself, I am a U.S. Airman getting stationed up at Elmendorf AFB! I am super pumped as I am a very big outdoorsman. I'm from illinois so adjusting to Alaska will be different for sure. I am big into archery hunting, fishing, and would like to learn fly fishing! Looking forward to meeting everybody!

-SetchImageUploadedByTapatalk1432765024.587457.jpg
    Welcome to Alaska Setch. Nice buck. I love me some whitetails too having grown up in South Dakota. Nothing like treestanding whitetails with a bow.

Thanks guys. Any info for a newcomer? Pretty much looking for any awesome info I can get!

Thanks guys. Any info for a newcomer? Pretty much looking for any awesome info I can get!
    Your asking the wrong guy here. I just moved up here from Montana at the beginning of May. If you are looking for someone to explore with, maybe we can have a beer and talk about possibilities.

From what I've learned thus far the road system is extremely limited!

Quote Originally Posted by Jayz12 View Post
    Your asking the wrong guy here. I just moved up here from Montana at the beginning of May. If you are looking for someone to explore with, maybe we can have a beer and talk about possibilities.

From what I've learned thus far the road system is extremely limited!
    Sounds good to me! Are you military?

I definitely need some friends to go explore the country with. My chevy will get us where the roads can't!

Be prepared to hunt hard and be open to alotta walking, getting out on foot and doing ALOT of glassing. Don't be discouraged if you don't see anything. Game is spread thin here as its very big country. Bow hunting opens up many more opportunities. Make sure you meet the residency requirements for certain areas are closed to non residents indefinitely. study the regs till you know them by memory. And Make sure you know where you are and where you can't hunt.

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Be prepared to hunt hard and be open to alotta walking, getting out on foot and doing ALOT of glassing. Don't be discouraged if you don't see anything. Game is spread thin here as its very big country. Bow hunting opens up many more opportunities. Make sure you meet the residency requirements for certain areas are closed to non residents indefinitely. study the regs till you know them by memory. And Make sure you know where you are and where you can't hunt.
    Good info thank you! What about for fishing? I keep hearing about "shoulder to shoulder fishing" and I want to not be in that area? I'm not scared to walk a couple miles somewhere, what would be about the average walk to get away from people?

Good info thank you! What about for fishing? I keep hearing about "shoulder to shoulder fishing" and I want to not be in that area? I'm not scared to walk a couple miles somewhere, what would be about the average walk to get away from people?
    You'll want to stay away from the kenai river then. Lots of good fishing in salt water with plenty of room. Come august theres more room on streams too. A big thing in ak is federal land and native land. Generally more restrictions for these areas that isnt necessarily covered in hunting regulations. Learn the draw hunt supplement and figure out which hunts you can do and put in for them. Lots of antlerless moose opportunity and other less restrictive requirements not available in general seasons. Good luck!

Thanks for the tips! Would there be nice streams I could find a couple miles away from any road that I could piddle in? I'm not really going to be hardcore going for salmon and trophies. Just want some solitude and to enjoy the outdoors

Well, if you go after Sitka blacktail, don't hold out for a buck half as big as that whitey in your picture or you'll be eating a lot of tag soup! Welcome to AK - live it up!

That's a nice whitetail!

Default New member, how's it going!

A couple short notes for now - would be happy to chat with you further as you figure out what questions you have. As for the road system - both hunting and fishing - there are plenty of options, but parking your vehicle and walking/climbing will get you into better areas. All of my successful hunts have been off the road system, and most of them with a high degree of solitude. Off-road vehicles can be an OK way to get started, but feet and a strong will are often your best bet.

As for your note about your Chevy getting you where you need to be, make sure you know the land use laws for the area you're in. In many areas going off-trail is not legal. Also, it's hard to overstate how swampy our ground can be, even ground that looks really solid. Very few people use trucks for off-road access up here, and that's for good reason.

From my perspective, the most important gear you need to consider and which should be of high quality are boots, tent, rain gear, and binoculars (in that order). Shop the big box stores with a hefty degree of skepticism - much of their gear is not up to Alaskan standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    A

As for your note about your Chevy getting you where you need to be, make sure you know the land use laws for the area you're in. In many areas going off-trail is not legal. Also, it's hard to overstate how swampy our ground can be, even ground that looks really solid. Very few people use trucks for off-road access up here, and that's for good reason.
    Yep or you might end up with your own thread like this
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...y+stuck+trucks
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    From my perspective, the most important gear you need to consider and which should be of high quality are boots, tent, rain gear, and binoculars (in that order).
    Which rain gear do you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    Which rain gear do you recommend?
    Depends on the use. For non-breathable, totally waterproof gear it is hard to beat Helly Hansen Impertech. For mountain hunting, I prefer Kuiu Chugach gear. There are a number of good options, though.

Get your IBEP certification now if you can! One less thing you have to worry about. Buy a good tent and no not a coleman 2 season tent kind.. Cabelas guide series tents are very good. As Brian M said Helly Hansen Impertech is very good. Boots ask 10 different people get 10 different opinions.

I have impertech. and neither the jacket nor pants lasted on a 7 day caribou hunt. I was getting wet through on day 3.... my boyfriend's cheapo frogg togg jacket, on the other hand, never leaked through. Go figure. The only thing I don't like about frogg toggs is that they rip easily. The only reason his jacket didn't rip is because we were on the tundra.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Thanks for all the replies! I didn't know about the driving regs up there but I'm glad I know. I'm definitely down for some good rucking across the land. Does anybody know anything about living on Elmendorf? I hear there is hunting and fishing opportunities right on base so that would be nice!

Brian M has solid advice, if you can meet with him you will gain much great advice. Go for it. Welcome to our great state.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast