Thread: campsites on skilak lake

Default campsites on skilak lake

Hi there,

My husband and myself will be kayaking skilak lake this July and, although I have been on the lake before it's been about 10 years. I am hoping to find some recommendations for spots to camp. I'm thinkin we will put in at Upper Skilak boat launch, cruise east to Doroshin Bay and maybe hug the shore around to Lucas Island and then return home via that same route. Any good camp spots in there? Is Doroshin Bay a good spot to camp or is it too steep?

Quote Originally Posted by nmitchell View Post
    Hi there,

My husband and myself will be kayaking skilak lake this July and, although I have been on the lake before it's been about 10 years. I am hoping to find some recommendations for spots to camp. I'm thinkin we will put in at Upper Skilak boat launch, cruise east to Doroshin Bay and maybe hug the shore around to Lucas Island and then return home via that same route. Any good camp spots in there? Is Doroshin Bay a good spot to camp or is it too steep?
    I would see if the Doroshin Bay cabin is available to rent. If not, I've camped on the north shore in the vicinity of where Hidden Creek dumps into the lake.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

There is good camping on the backside of Lucas island.

Default Bear trails along the shore

Watch out for bear trails (highways) along the shore within a mile or two of where the river enters the lake.
    We made the mistake of camping on the north shore during July and had a bear walk right next to the tent while we were in it.
    Then it dawned on us why the "trail" was there..............