Thread: Are there any .308 Win. Factory loads w/heavy bullets.....????

Default Are there any .308 Win. Factory loads w/heavy bullets.....????

Are there any .308 Win. Factory loads w/heavy bullets.....???? Thinking over 200 grain bullets. Must be factory loads. I know there are many 180 gr. factory loads. Bullet "STYLE/SHAPE" is not important.

Thank You........

I've been a long time aficionado of the .308WIN.

I've never seen a factory loaded bullet over 180gr. Hard to imagine that a 200 or 220gr .308 would do anything a 180gr wouldn't do equally as well under typical use.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Well.........this would be "NON-Typical" Use. Defense (Moose & Bear) in AR-10 with 12.5" barrel. So kind'a looking at 5 or so yards or less distance. I had hoped that Remington offered their 220 Cork-lock in a .308 Win. cartridge. But your correct, and quality 180 gr. bullet will work finer than frog's fur.
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...category/4387/

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I've been a long time aficionado of the .308WIN.

I've never seen a factory loaded bullet over 180gr. Hard to imagine that a 200 or 220gr .308 would do anything a 180gr wouldn't do equally as well under typical use.

I know you are looking for info more for self defense but I have been VERY impressed with the wife and daughters .308's. Last year I watched them take a 61" moose, 2 mt goats and 2 black bears all one shot and all dropped in their tracks. Well, all but one. One of the black bears got "rolled" down the mountian after being shot. Shooting 165gr..

Well.........While sitting in the sun just now........I realized that a big factor, will be cartridge OAL. As I have been thinking plan "B" is that I have a lot of .220 gr. bullets that I could pull from .300 Win. Mag. cartridges, and pay someone to put (10) ten .308 Win cartridges together.

I gotta admit...a stubby little AR10 pistol would be convincing bear protection up close.

I'd also think that some of the better 165gr or 180gr bullets like the TSX, Trophy Bonded and Aframes would likely out penetrate the 220s.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Yes, I think you are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I gotta admit...a stubby little AR10 pistol would be convincing bear protection up close.

I'd also think that some of the better 165gr or 180gr bullets like the TSX, Trophy Bonded and Aframes would likely out penetrate the 220s.

Now this would be a super-duper bad'boy cartridge at 5 yards. The 45 RAPTOR
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...rtridge-ar-10/

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/381...ProductFinding

I have used the Doubletap 200 grain accubond factory loads in my 325wsm, the gun loves them. The moose didn't care too much for it though.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

THANKS.......Good find........I like that bullet, I use the 110 Grain Nosler AccuBond Spitzer in my 12.5 inch and 18 inch 6.8SPC in Noveske AR-15's. Plus if they are to long I can introduce them to Mr. Belt Sander.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/381...ProductFinding

I have used the Doubletap 200 grain accubond factory loads in my 325wsm, the gun loves them. The moose didn't care too much for it though.