Thread: Will a couple cold nights tube my tomatoes?

Default Will a couple cold nights tube my tomatoes?

I run an electric heater in my portable GH at night and have to roll up the windows each day to keep the temp in the 80's/90's. It's a simple small Home Depot kit model. My tomatoes Are in grow buckets with a watering system. I need to go out of town for a couple nights. I figure keeping the GH closed up will cook my plants, so I figure I'll have to keep the windows open which means evening temps will hit mid 40's. Will I lose all my blossoms with 2 nights of cool temperatures or will it just delay things? I guess it's going to be what it's going to be. Also I just let my plants pollinate naturally or shaking/vibrating the blossom clusters. Friends of mine swear by blossom set spray. Will this help with a couple nights of cooler temps? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gottago View Post
    I run an electric heater in my portable GH at night and have to roll up the windows each day to keep the temp in the 80's/90's. It's a simple small Home Depot kit model. My tomatoes Are in grow buckets with a watering system. I need to go out of town for a couple nights. I figure keeping the GH closed up will cook my plants, so I figure I'll have to keep the windows open which means evening temps will hit mid 40's. Will I lose all my blossoms with 2 nights of cool temperatures or will it just delay things? I guess it's going to be what it's going to be. Also I just let my plants pollinate naturally or shaking/vibrating the blossom clusters. Friends of mine swear by blossom set spray. Will this help with a couple nights of cooler temps? Thanks
    I have tomatoes in an unheated GH… (near Wasilla) I've had temps as low as 39 a couple weeks ago, and it didn't stop some of my tomatoes from "setting tomatoes"… My Stupice and Early Girl and Klondike plants don't seem to mind the 40 temps.. I agree, you'll cook your plants if you leave the windows closed while your gone. I've never used blossom set spray. shaking or patting has always worked well for me. My son insists on using his electric tooth brush to "pollinate" his tomatoes. it all comes out about the same.

Tomato types will vary,
    A few of the southern brandywine's might lose blossoms,
    but Early girl & most types sold here will handle 40° at night well.

Agree with leaving the window open, a short time at 40° is much better than over 100° cooked plants.

Thanks guys. I'm sure it's not optimal but at least I won't be stressing. 39F in the unheard cuke GH here last night, but I think it's getting warmer next week. My solution? I went halibut fishing!!

Quote Originally Posted by gottago View Post
    Thanks guys. I'm sure it's not optimal but at least I won't be stressing. 39F in the unheard cuke GH here last night, but I think it's getting warmer next week. My solution? I went halibut fishing!!
    Now there's a sensible solution… My kids/grandson and I did the same over the holiday weekend. loaded up on Chickens.