Thread: Trip from Juneau to Kake in June

Default Trip from Juneau to Kake in June

New to the forum but thought I would throw it out there. Last year we did a trip from Juneau to Elfin Cove and had some success with fishing. I am taking a trip from Juneau to Kake by boat in June . Any recommendations of things to do? Would like to spend some time fishing for Kings and halibut. Probably will spend four days of so on the boat.

Thanks for any info.

Gabe

Are you heading south via Stephens Passage? The Tracy Arm of Holkham Bay would be a great scenery detour, if you have the time to go 25 NM up to the end of it. Beautiful steep-sided fjord, with spectacular tidewater glaciers at its head.
    Richard Cook
    New Moon (Bounty 257)
    "Cruising in a Big Way"

Did that trip twice when I lived in Juneau. Used to fish kings around doty cove and grand island quite a bit. Further south you will find great shrimping in Hobart bay. There is a great ling cod pinnacle as you enter Hobart to the north, and two to the south. Five Fingers, further south, offers fantastic halibut grounds. If you have time, further south on the outside of Kuiu Is. is a place called Bay of Pillars. It is a fantastic cruise, especially if you go through "the cut" and back in the bay. There is a stream that is chock full of sockeye in the back of the bay. I used to beach seine for them with the kake boys back in the day. As passage canal meets Frederick sound you will find ample humpback whales feeding.

Enjoy, I have found memories of that trip. Plan to do it again someday.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Out in front of Kake on the opposite shore is the Keku Strait and that is not to be missed. You can troll there as well. I second Bay of Pillars but it is around Kuiu and South a bit. Crossing lower Chatham Strait over to Baranof is Gut Bay which is awesome, and then further north on that shoreline is Red Bluff Bay and Baranof Warm Springs.

Sobie2

Thanks for the information. Had a great trip with great weather. Caught a really nice halibut on a salmon rod that was quite the battle.