Thread: Black Bear spot and stalk

Default Black Bear spot and stalk

Any good advice or suggestions for black bear spot and stalk in unit 7. I spent the weekend down the Palmer Creek area and saw plenty of signs but no luck.

It's called spot and stalk because you have to spot them first. If you are not seeing bears in the area you are glassing then you probably need to find another spot with some bears. Best times to glass are early morning and late evening. Magic hour seems to be about 8:00 PM for glassing for me. I've spotted most of my bears about a half hour before to a half hour after 8:00 PM. In fact, it is not uncommon to spot 2 or 3 at a time in different locations. Then you have to decide which one to go after. As far as stalking goes, the most important consideration is staying downwind from the bear you are stalking. If you move slow, minimize your noise and stay downwind it usually isn't a problem. Almost every failed spot and stalk that I have experienced was a result of a change of wind or not paying close enough attention to the wind. If a bear catches your wind he will most likely head for cover. Once they head for cover it's usually over.

Spot and stalk is fairly new to me. I've hunted whitetail in upstate NY and black bear over bait so I understand the importance of eliminating human scent and playing the wind as best as possible. I guess the location is what I've been having an issue with. I've mainly been hiking up to a ridge that looks like it has a good view and glassing from there. I've seen plenty of bear scat high up, but I'm assuming it's from last year because it's filled with berries. The only really luck I've had is I found 2 rifles 2 ridges back off Palmer creek. One was in horrible shape and I was afraid to even touch it because the first gun was loaded and ready to rock. So if you know anyone who somehow lost a weatherby vanguard 300 win mag I have it in my garage and a friend in law enforcement is currently running the serial number trying to find the owner. Thanks again for the advice.

QUALITY Binoculars.......And skill at operating (Read using) QUALITY Binoculars.

It is a long story but those guys almost died, they got caught in a bad and blinding snow storm, and they got to the point of exhaustion, and fear of certain death that, they dropped everything in fear they would not make it down to the road. There is an account of it here on this forum. Was about four or five years ago, very late fall.

Quote Originally Posted by peter033 View Post
    Spot and stalk is fairly new to me. I've hunted whitetail in upstate NY and black bear over bait so I understand the importance of eliminating human scent and playing the wind as best as possible. I guess the location is what I've been having an issue with. I've mainly been hiking up to a ridge that looks like it has a good view and glassing from there. I've seen plenty of bear scat high up, but I'm assuming it's from last year because it's filled with berries. The only really luck I've had is I found 2 rifles 2 ridges back off Palmer creek. One was in horrible shape and I was afraid to even touch it because the first gun was loaded and ready to rock. So if you know anyone who somehow lost a weatherby vanguard 300 win mag I have it in my garage and a friend in law enforcement is currently running the serial number trying to find the owner. Thanks again for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    It is a long story but those guys almost died, they got caught in a bad and blinding snow storm, and they got to the point of exhaustion, and fear of certain death that, they dropped everything in fear they would not make it down to the road. There is an account of it here on this forum. Was about four or five years ago, very late fall.
    By any chance, where those guys on a goat hunt and had the Coast Guard come for them in a chopper?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I assumed something bad had happened for somebody to just leave their guns out there like that. It's good to know they made it out ok. If you have a name I would like to return the rifle I have in case it holds any sentimental value. Plus in my opinion it's the right thing to do.

That is slightly possible........But I think they made it down to the Palmer Creek Road, and drove out. He wanted me to go get the rifles, but he was not sure where they were, he thought they were below the Nearhouse Mine.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    By any chance, where those guys on a goat hunt and had the Coast Guard come for them in a chopper?

I think this forum has a "Lost & Found" sub section. As I recall they went up after a Black Bear, but did not get it.

I assumed something bad had happened for somebody to just leave their guns out there like that. It's good to know they made it out ok. If you have a name I would like to return the rifle I have in case it holds any sentimental value. Plus in my opinion it's the right thing to do.

I guess the location is what I've been having an issue with.
    Try South-facing slopes (food source) with lots of alders (cover) at the bases below the tree line.