Thread: Meat salvage & bears

Default Meat salvage & bears

I am curious, lets say you down your moose, butcher it and load game bags. You return for your second load of meat and there is a bear on the carcass, what are you required to do, and what should you do? Must you chase it off, and continue to take the meat? Does it matter if it is a black bear or griz?

What if you return and only see evidence of a bear eating the meat, but the bear is gone?

Just curious, DonV

PS do not read into this and think I am looking for an excuse to leave meat in the field, I am just curious.

Default Meat salvage

Quote Originally Posted by DonV View Post
    I am curious, lets say you down your moose, butcher it and load game bags. You return for your second load of meat and there is a bear on the carcass, what are you required to do, and what should you do? Must you chase it off, and continue to take the meat? Does it matter if it is a black bear or griz?

What if you return and only see evidence of a bear eating the meat, but the bear is gone?

Just curious, DonV

PS do not read into this and think I am looking for an excuse to leave meat in the field, I am just curious.
    Don,

You are allowed to shoot the bear, regardless of species, only if you have a bear tag and the season is open. Otherwise, you are not allowed to shoot a bear in defense of your meat.

You are also required to salvage all the edible meat. In my mind the definition of "edible" becomes a question if the bear has urinated on it and covered it with dirt. At the least, you will have some trimming to do. Either way, I would document the whole thing very well with photographs and GPS coordinates. That way if you have to assert your innocence in court, you have some back-up.

Some time back a good friend of mine had taken several deer on Kodiak Island. He was staying in a cabin out there, and when he got up in the morning he noticed that a brown bear had taken all the meat off the meat pole. He went out there and trailed the drag marks, dug the meat out, and brought it back to camp. The bear never returned- perhaps he was intimidated by a skinny 145-lb guy who would go out there in his long johns and recover the meat without a weapon!

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Yikes that is vague, are you required to then chase the bear off and risk life and limb? Or if he is eating wait for him to finish then go get more meat? Heck what if you are alone and working on a deead moose YOU KNOW A BEAR WAS EATING AND WILL LIKELY RETURN TOO. Wow I cannot imagine fear greater then finishing that job.

Shooting it I would never do unless I had a tag (black bear).

If it happened to you would you chase it off? Come back in 1 day? What if he is there the next day, wait one more? How long and how often would you have to keep coming back? I would be making a satelite call to G&F and snapping pics like a crazy man.

While you are not able to shoot a bear, or other animal, in defense of the meat, you are legally allowed to choot it in defense of your life. Your also required to salvage the meat of any game animal you kill. Sticky situation.
    Standing 300 yds away from the 2nd half of your moose meat and a bear is right there. Yikes!! Do you leave the meat and hope the fishcop believes your story? Try to scare the bear off? Shoot the bear and hope the fishcop believes your story?
    Oh, if you do DLP a bear, you are required to salvage the hide and turn it in to the state.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

yell at it see if you can get it to leave and have a round chambered just in case, if it doesn't leave then take a picture of the bear on your meat just in case, no meat is worth risking your life over though.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Harassment?

could your actions be considered harassment of game if you try to chase off the meat thief?

Quote Originally Posted by Larch View Post
    could your actions be considered harassment of game if you try to chase off the meat thief?
    Meat thief could be anything from a weasel to a fox to a bear. I don't see anyway chasing another critter off the meat your required by law to salvage could be considered "harassment".
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Just dont go peppering their hinds with BB shot and you'll be fine