Thread: Nabesna Float - General Info

Default Nabesna Float - General Info

Hi all - thanks in advance for the help.

My wife and I are thinking about floating the Nabesna in a week or two from Orange Hill airport back to Northway. There are some posts here about the (lack of) moose hunting in the region, but not too much about the river float. Can you help me out?

I'm looking for general information - can anyone confirm the character of the river? Is it really a class I/II river or are there big standing waves? Is the river suitable for moderately skilled boaters in a SOAR inflatable canoe, and how many floating days should be expected? Are camping spots easy/hard to find, and would the first half of June be an okay (safe) time to float?

Really appreciate any info you can provide,

Mike

skiermike- if no one responds you might ask Kirk or Cole Ellis at Devils Mt. for info.. Not sure if they have any expertise on river floating, but nobody knows the area better. Advice might be more freely given if you hired them to place you on orange hill strip.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Have you checked Karen Jettmar's book, I am fairly certain there is a write up in there? I'll try to check tonight when I get home.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

I replied to your request in the canoeing forum:

I floated the Nabesna a few yrs ago in late August. There are no standing waves or whitewater to speak of. There are some hydraulics where braided channels come back together, but nothing you can't avoid if you pay attention. There are tons of braided channels so you are always trying to choose the one with the most water to avoid dragging. Not much clear water for drinking after you leave the mts so stock up or plan on filtering really silty water. We did it in a 12' Avon raft with no trouble. Your Pro Pioneer should be fine. Lot's of camping on gravel bars. The hotter the weather the more the glacier melts and the higher the water levels will be. My guess is June would be fine, but that's not based on firsthand experience. Bring bug dope and mosquito jackets. I think we did the float in about 2 days, but we were on a mission to get downstream. If floating for pleasure, I'd make it a 3-4 day float.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. Name: Ready to float the Nabesna with Tikka and Matt.jpg Views: 26 Size: 79.6 KB ID: 85012

In June expect med to high flow rates with class I-II character. IMO, there's a safety rating that should be included with character. I give this one a class II+ because of hydraulics and boils. Your Pro Pioneer will handle it easily. The river is glacial, so silty cold and fast. Just be hyper-aware of tube-suck entering changing currents. It's one of the only threat's you MUST lean AWAY from to avoid.

The hiking off river is unlimited, and gorgeous. You'll have access to some really unique and spectacular vistas. The downside is how thick and thriving the alders and willow communities that border the river. The lower you float the thicker and more impossible hiking will get. Enjoy your first 20 miles with a day hike or two (4-5 days to cover 20 miles, then float and see how it goes for hikes. You can do the trip in 3 days but could certainly have a 7-8 day trip and really soak it in.

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I've been really excited about the trip but also a little anxious because information is so scarce. Hearing from you guys who have actually been down the river is invaluable. Will report back on how it goes!