Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ship creek kings amateur help

Default Ship creek kings amateur help

Heading to anchorage this weekend and taking my first shot at kings in ship creek. Need some advice on tackle. I just bought a Shimano 9 ft med heavy rod and some 20lb mono line. I have a Shimano 3000 Sahara and an older stradic 2000. I'm guessing neither of those are big enough for the 20lb line and need an upgrade? If so still lookin for a spinner because I want to fish with bait and lures. So bait casting reels aren't really what I'm looking for. What size hooks and weights should be used at ship creek? Sorry for all the questions and I appreciate the help. Just a rookie salmon fisher trying to get geared up right for the next few years I'm here.

Been fishing for kings twice this season on ship creek....Hooked up and lost both. My preference is towards the first bend in the river from the ocean with spin and glows with roe no further than six feet out from the bank within plus or minus two hours of high tide. keep an active watch on your line as my experience has taught me they are soft biters. good luck.

Your setup with the 3000 Sahara should be adequate, the 20 lb mono may make casting tedious with smaller lures, but it should get the job done. You could opt for braided line to get the line diameter to a manageable size for casting lures and such...

My suggestion as a newbie to Ship creek is to get yourself a handful of Vibrax spinners in the #4 &#5 size in different colors and cast away in different spots until you learn what is working by watching the locals. The hole just above the first dowsntream bridge on the riprap is a great place to cast spinners.

Hey I'm looking to try this sometime soon. I'm working in midtown with my family back in Utah this summer, so I have quite a bit of free time if you want a fellow noob bumbling about with you trying to figure things out.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Sockeye Charlie makes an excellent point in that getting out there and watching and talking to those who are catching fish is the best info possible.

I throw vibrax on in coming switch to bait high tide 30 min after high tide I go to phat fish than back to spinners as tide leaves
    Got to look good even in defeat. IMAGE is everything.

Slip bobber and eggs is my go to technique.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

The hardest part is figuring out where to park.

What size would you say for a fly rod? I know that the kings get medium sized down there, and wondering what weight would be pushing the minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by zxjonathan View Post
    What size would you say for a fly rod? I know that the kings get medium sized down there, and wondering what weight would be pushing the minimum.
    An 8wt at a minimum, but my preference for kings on fly tackle is a 10wt

Size 5 or 6 Kodiak Custom Fishign Tackle GI skirted spinner on the lower river 1 hour before til 1 hour after high tide = $$
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Well, if you see an idiot out there making a total fool of himself sat/sun stop by...what are the thoughts on the crowds? Any particular etiquette I should observe (other than the attempt at giving everyone adequate space, and if someone near you is fighting a fish reel in)?

Quote Originally Posted by Utarded View Post
    Well, if you see an idiot out there making a total fool of himself sat/sun stop by...what are the thoughts on the crowds? Any particular etiquette I should observe (other than the attempt at giving everyone adequate space, and if someone near you is fighting a fish reel in)?
    Etiquette (in relation to combat fishing) is: use enough line (# test) and drag that the fish can't run 100 yds downstream and screw up fishing for 50 people. That's a sure way to lose a fish, due to a cut line. This rule applies both at Ship Creek and the Russian/Kenai Rivers.

Thanks Gary, what line do most people use? Is 15lbs mono ok, or do I need to beef it up?

I'd go with heavier line than that. I put 25 or 30 pound on my rods for combat kings. Some idiot WILL cast right over you when/if you get a king on (trying to pickup a follower). Then you bonk the idiot after you lose your fish.

good to know, I'll respool before I head out

Just to follow through, I was out from 11am-7pm on ship creek mostly watching and fishing a bit with a Kodiak combo. Quite a few anglers out there especially at high tide. I watched 2 fish get landed and 3 other hookups. Gorgeous day, awesome fishing, but the catching was pretty slow.

I was out there at 0600 today and the 10 or so I saw landed were using eggs and spin glows in about an hour. while me and another guy used Kodak kustoms. I had a bite first thing and then nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by AkReaper View Post
    I was out there at 0600 today and the 10 or so I saw landed were using eggs and spin glows in about an hour. while me and another guy used Kodak kustoms. I had a bite first thing and then nothing.
    You must have faith.. No it depends what the fish are in mood for. That's why I switch it up during tide. Some days it's just not meant to be. Those days suck!👎
    Got to look good even in defeat. IMAGE is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Laker Hunter View Post
    You must have faith.. No it depends what the fish are in mood for. That's why I switch it up during tide. Some days it's just not meant to be. Those days suck!
    I worked all night just up on the hill above. I am not worried I was just happy to fish I wasn't really prepared but it was still awesome!!! Thanks for the encouragement!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast