Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Su Wreckage

Default Big Su Wreckage

Was wondering if anybody here could tell me what the story is behind the Air Force jet wreckage to the northeast of the mouth of the Big Su. I did some googling but haven't come up with anything.

Thanks

Josh

Try googling the Golden Heart Crash...It used to be a big secret but unclassified now. If you positioned it with a GPS, post the co-ordinates.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Try googling the Golden Heart Crash...It used to be a big secret but unclassified now. If you positioned it with a GPS, post the co-ordinates.
    I googled the golden heart crash. I don't think thats what this is.

Where on the Su? F-22 crash was up towards Cantwell, but think they cleaned most of that site up.

That wreck has been there for longer than I can remember. I was told it was a non-fatal crash and the AF came out and removed the avionics and left the rest. It looks the same as it did 25 years ago.

The crash happened in 1956 and there was no survivors there was a crew of 12 on board when it went down.It can be found under the Golden Heart Crash. there is more than one under the same heading just look for the one about the Su.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    That wreck has been there for longer than I can remember. I was told it was a non-fatal crash and the AF came out and removed the avionics and left the rest. It looks the same as it did 25 years ago.

the one he's referring to was a fighter. I've heard the whole story from guys who were familiar but I don't remember much because it wasn't very remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by J in AK View Post
    I googled the golden heart crash. I don't think thats what this is.
    No, it isn't the Golden Heart. But one of the articles on the GH listed the various military crashes with their positions. Hence my suggestion to google that crash. Someone has detailed all their locations by GPS and told a bit of a story on each one. One of the jets was first found by a homesteader on Pt. Mac. He took the gun! Some have said they have heard the rat-a-tat-tat from time to time...during moose season!!! It was common for finders to take the stick for a finders fee.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

the wreck in the picture is near a little lake about 1/2 to 3/4 mile east of the lower mouth of Fish Creek on the Big Su, maybe 1/2 mile south of the gas pipeline right of way.

Anybody know what kind of plane that is?

That just goes to show ya how much our gov't really cares about this land as they just leave their garbage layin around and don't pack it out. I believe we would be fined $1000.00 if we were to not pack out our garbage... Just saying...
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Quote Originally Posted by J in AK View Post
    Anybody know what kind of plane that is?
    Back in the mid-fifties, the USAF was still flying F-89D Scorpians I believe. Those replaced the older F-94 ​Starfighters.

That looks like a McDonnell F-101 Voodoo to me

Yep, that is an F-101 Voodoo.

Coordinates: 6122'40"N 15025'58"W you can see it on Google Maps.

There is one up by Lake Creek also, I believe it is an old fighter behind Germanys alomost upper Indian creek area.
    Anyone kow any info about that?

If you really want good info on crashed military AC contact the air museum by the airport. They know about every crash that has been unclassed in AK. They have been part of salvaging teams in the past to recover parts of old AC to preserve the history of the AC and help clean up. They are great people to talk to and would probably point you in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The RCC database says it is a RF-101 Voodoo that crashed in February of 1963. Story I heard was it got in a spin and the pilot ejected safely.

Thanks, Henny. Now I'll know the story... until I forget it again. I fly over that wreck multiple times every week.

Transferred to Kodiak? With Cub? And wife?

SB

Does anybody have coordinates on the Golden Heart crash? I remember when I was real young snowmachining in the islands on the Big su and my dad swung by there and we checked it out, at least the little tiny bit you could actually see out of the snow. Was pretty neat and I have spent a few hours trying to find it again by snowmachine, no luck. Larry Heater was saying that most of the wreckage got picked up in a flood and washed out, but Id still think a fair bit is left, like the part with the plaque. Would be neat to get some pictures of the wreckage and the condition of the plaque and send it to the families.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Thanks, Henny. Now I'll know the story... until I forget it again. I fly over that wreck multiple times every week.

Transferred to Kodiak? With Cub? And wife?

SB
    Hey SB. Yep, retired from the Navy in January and we moved down to Kodiak in April for a flying job. Cub is still at Elmendorf, but I'm going to bring it down here pretty soon. Too many cool spots to explore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast