Thread: Rod builder or Rob building supplies

Default Rod builder or Rob building supplies

The top half of my 4wt Thomas & Thomas is broken. I built it in 1997 and T&T tells me it's $800 for a finished replacement. They are sending me a new top half blank, so need to build it out or hire someone to do it for me. Made a few calls and was told no one in Anchorage is building rods commercially. Anyone know of someone that could build out the top half of this rod? If not, where is a good place to get the supplies to do it myself. Or if anyone is building rods at home and would be willing to mentor me (I haven't built one since the late 90's) I'd be willing to pitch in for more than just the gear I need. Sure would be nice to have my rod operable by July. Thanks!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by cjines View Post
    The top half of my 4wt Thomas & Thomas is broken. I built it in 1997 and T&T tells me it's $800 for a finished replacement. They are sending me a new top half blank, so need to build it out or hire someone to do it for me. Made a few calls and was told no one in Anchorage is building rods commercially. Anyone know of someone that could build out the top half of this rod? If not, where is a good place to get the supplies to do it myself. Or if anyone is building rods at home and would be willing to mentor me (I haven't built one since the late 90's) I'd be willing to pitch in for more than just the gear I need. Sure would be nice to have my rod operable by July. Thanks!
    Call Three Rivers in Wasilla.

Quote Originally Posted by cjines View Post

I assume you sent the bottom half to T and T so that they could 'match' an upper to your lower?
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Call Heidi Wild, wildonthefly@gmail.com, 907-947-0698. We started having her build our fly rods for us, she does good work. She has her shop in Anchorage. I know she's headed out to King Salmon soon so get in touch with her right away.

Don

Yes, I sent the entire rod so they can match and send a new upper portion. This the 3rd time I've had to rebuild this rod over the last 18 years due to breakage through no fault of the rod. T&T customer service is great. $50 get's you a new half of the blank.

"The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

You still need help getting it finished? I've got all the tools and a pile of left over supplies that you could use. Might not have the correct thread size and color but maybe I do. Can you post a pic of the lower section and a close up of one of the snake guides? Let me know if you need a hand.

Complete inventory for rod building. The Mud Hole. Was also mentioned by............Kasilofchrisn as well.

Thanks for all the info and offer to help. I had to send the entire rod, broken top and good to go bottom to T&T so they can make a new top blank. When I get it all back I'll be in good shape. Thanks for the offer mad_yaker. I'll be in touch when I get it all back.

Sounds good, hopefully they have a quick turn around time. Glad to hear your on the way to getting it back fishing.

there IS OR WAS a person that did some rod work check the title wave book store in Anchorage , he worked there I think SID