Thread: Need advice on Duckworth Silverwing restoration

Default Need advice on Duckworth Silverwing restoration

I picked up a 21' Duckworth Silverwing in need of a little TLC. It has a lot of options that I really wish my current boat had but is not running very good right now. My wife is not to happy about having two 21' river boats in the driveway so I need to expedite getting this running top notch and put my Hewescraft up for sale.
    Background is that the boat was stolen and engine and her unit stripped out. The good: Welded tandem axle torsion axle trailer, heavier construction then my Hewescraft, trim tabs, nice swim deck, and Flowscan gauge. The previous owner installed a rebuilt 302 redline and Kodiak 3 stage jet but skimped on the details, 2 barrel automotive carb, heater lines not connected, wiring mess, etc.
    For starters I need a 4 barrel marine carb, thinking about an Edelbrock. The impellers are also in fairly rough shape, is it worth it to have them rebuilt or get new ones? Performance wise how well do the Kodiak pumps work compared to American turbine?
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Kodiak pumps are awesome, get your impeller rebuilt to match the 302 it's will be around 800 bucks but they last a long time of your nice to them.

I had a Holley Marine 4160 on my old 302 Redline. It was a great carburetor and they aren't that expensive. You may be able to get one from the carb shop in Anchorage as it was a really popular carb on fishing boats. Ditto on that Kodiak pump.

Already got a line on a marine Holy 4bbl. Any recommendation on where to send the impellers? I want to get them sent out right away. I'm in Fairbanks so out of state is just as easy as Anchorage. I'm also thinking about just doing a complete motor sway between boats. Redline 351W with 280 hours for the Redline 302 supposedly rebuilt 20 hours ago but no receipts or anything. Is there more to it then just unbolting and swapping?

Also need ideas for new flooring. The outdoor carpet had to go.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

I don't know the Fairbanks crowd as I am in Wasilla but I will say form seeing that picture I would replace all the gaskets on that fuel tank before you put the floor down as I had a water leak problem through a rotted gasket there once and it was a pain in the rear.

Talk to sponsor on refurb page, exact welding to ship impellers to possibly, Motor swap should be really simple, same jet and driveline in other boat? If not mounts might need to move forward or back.

Put a diamond plate floor in there and be done and happy for a long time

Alaska Frontier Fabricators in Wasilla rebuilds impellers.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Great land welding can fix u up.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

If you are in Fairbanks, you can swing by The Boat Shop. They have the marine grade plywood with skid guard on it. All you have to do is cut it and screw it down. I just refurbished a Wooldridge and I decided on this option vs. regular marine plywood and marine vinyl. Good luck.