Thread: Replacement for my broken spotting scope tripod

Default Replacement for my broken spotting scope tripod

I broke my trusty tripod for my spotting scope. I need a good light weight, solid tripod for my Nikon XL Spotting scope. Application is sheep and goat hunting so weight is paramount. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cjines View Post
    I broke my trusty tripod for my spotting scope. I need a good light weight, solid tripod for my Nikon XL Spotting scope. Application is sheep and goat hunting so weight is paramount. Any recommendations? Thanks!
    Just go to some of the local camera stores in Anchorage and look at some of the tripods there. If you are choosing lightweight ones, expect to pay more. Also, you will notice that the most expensive tripods don't come with a head, just the legs. If you buy one of those, buy a head with handles like the ones used for video cameras, not a ball head. If you still don't want to buy the tripod there, but you see one you like, check some of the online stores such as Amazon, Crutchfield, etc. But buying in town is much faster and you can test what you buy before you walk out the door.

The tripod that came with my Nikon Spotter XL is a Slik 450G. I doubt you'll find one much lighter but I very well could be wrong. So far no complaints from me and I've had it many, many, years....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Check out Barney's they have a few carbon fiber options if you want to go that direction.
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    The tripod that came with my Nikon Spotter XL is a Slik 450G. I doubt you'll find one much lighter but I very well could be wrong. So far no complaints from me and I've had it many, many, years....
    They don't make this tripod anymore but it can be found. That being said, I use the Slik Sprint Mini II which is rated for a little heavier spotter and also gets taller than the 450g, and mine weighs in at 1.6lbs. It is a great lightweight tripod for relatively little money when compared to some of the high dollar options. I'd consider on of the tripods from vortex too, high country or summit

Quote Originally Posted by DeadWolf View Post
    They don't make this tripod anymore but it can be found. That being said, I use the Slik Sprint Mini II which is rated for a little heavier spotter and also gets taller than the 450g, and mine weighs in at 1.6lbs. It is a great lightweight tripod for relatively little money when compared to some of the high dollar options. I'd consider on of the tripods from vortex too, high country or summit
    I never bothered looking it up, but how much does the 450G weigh?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I found that the 450g weighs 1.3lbs, my slik sprint mini weighs 1.6 on my food scale. The 450g extends 12" - 33", the Sprint Mini from 5.9" - 42.9". And if I don't need that much height, which I normally don't, the center section can be removed dropping a little weight as well. The biggest takeaway between the two is that the 450g only has a weight rating of 2.2lbs (1kg), whereas the sprint mini ii can carry 4.5lbs. IMO the Sprint mini II is a great tripod especially for the fiscally and weight conscious mountain hunter. I'm not sure you can beat it for $64.99!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ini_II_GM.html

Thanks for all the info. Many good options. Thanks again.

The mini has a ball head and looks like the 450g came with a panhead. You save some weight using a ball head but it will be a different glassing experience and you may prefer to use your current tripods head. Id recommend trying it before your trip

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for all the info. Many good options. Thanks again.
    Another decent option is the Manfrotto Offroad, 1.4lbs, ball head, and pretty bomber, twice as much as the Slik though : )