Thread: Finally! My First AK Big Game Animal

Default Finally! My First AK Big Game Animal

This is a long time coming. First, I give all thanks to God who gave me a passion for the outdoors and I enjoy everything that He has created. I have lived here since 2010 and every hunting season it starts with high hopes of success but it has never panned out. I have seen game and have gotten close several times to moose and a few caribou but have never connected. Or something comes up and can't go. This year I was finally able to set up a bait stand as this will be my last main hunting season for year before moving to Korea for a year. In early April, my hunting partner and I scouted a good area that looked promising and once registered we set out to set up. Well as it turned out our spot that was on Army training land was going to be shut down. Ended up going to Fish and Game that allowed us to un-register those spots and re-register somewhere else. However, this put us in a slightly difficult spot as it was mid April by then and didn't have any spot, we put an SOS in with a group we are part of and they helped us out. We quickly registered and met up with the others that weekend to set up. As the day turned out I ended up getting my truck stuck and had to get a tow truck to pull me out. Now its the first week in May nothing is set up and our friends stands were getting hit; at this point I was thinking that bear baiting wasn't meant to be but I was determined. The Saturday before mothers day we were finally able to set up (mostly) and put bait out which was a big relief that we finally got the first step out of the way. Last weekend my hunting partner and I weren't able to meet up but were able to get out and for me to finish building my ladder stand but couldn't set it in the tree as it was too top heavy for me to walk it up the tree by myself. So it laid by a tree no more than 20yds from my barrel for 4 days hoping that no one would take it (forgot my chain to secure it) or a bear wanting to make a toy out of it. Now this last Thursday came around start of the long weekend and hoping for trail cam pics. As we got to our site at around 530pm, we were greeted with something better, I walked in on a black bear chowing down on my barrel. She spotted me pretty much at the same time I spotted her and there she went walking off at her own pace not really caring. We quickly put little more bait out and finishing putting my stand up while making all kinds of noise. Got it set up, put things away looked at my watch it was 635 by the time we were in our stand. At 705pm the little bear cam walking back in. After so much work and frustration everything came together in a split second. Barnes 165gr hit its mark and she didn't go more than 10yds and in 2 minutes heard her death moan. I let out the biggest Whoooo! to make Rick Flare proud. She isn't very big overall but she is all the "trophy" to me and am very excited to have finally taken my very first Alaska big game animal. After 4 1/2 years countless heartache but more determination it all paid off. Good news is after looking at the trailcam there are 2 more that are bigger and now its time for me to help my buddy connect for his first bear.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats!!!
    It's not the size that makes a trophy, it's the work you put into it. She's a trophy indeed
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Excellent....!!! You'll be an old man someday and still remember that day like it was yesterday....

Congrats...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Congratulations!!!!

Brett

Congratulations.

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing. It is a great example that persistence pays off! And truly - the trophy is not about the size of the critter, it is about the memories made. Congrats to you for a successful hunt after quite a lot of effort!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Thanks! By no means am I disappointed and it might have taken me a while it was worth the wait. I've learned a long time ago that any time spent fishing or in the woods is great feeling. I really can't wait to take what I've learned over the few years up here and pass it down to my daughter when she's old enough. I'll be moving back up here soon enough.

Congrats. That will be some good eating.

Nice write up. It feels great when hard work pays off.
    I think about hunting when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day. And I think about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm doing it. ~credit to Carl Yastrzemski~

Quote Originally Posted by shimano 33 View Post
    Nice write up. It feels great when hard work pays off.
    Yes, but it even feels great too when at least one time you don't have to work that hard and get just plain lucky....!!!

That pays for the 99.9% of the times when you do have to work hard......to get lucky.

Fantastic, congratulations after over 20 years I still remember my first like it was yesterday. I don't remember all of them but I'll never forget my first

Quote Originally Posted by misplaced texan View Post
    ...She isn't very big overall but she is all the "trophy" to me and am very excited to have finally taken my very first Alaska big game animal.
    It's not the size of the meal that matters, but who you share it with. Congrats.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Yes, but it even feels great too when at least one time you don't have to work that hard and get just plain lucky....!!!
    Reminds me of a recent excursion
    I think about hunting when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day. And I think about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm doing it. ~credit to Carl Yastrzemski~

Indeed...!!!

I haven't stopped smiling and it's been a week already. It's my buddy's turn to get his this weekend. A big shout out to Baitem as well. I've read great things about them and wasn't disappointed. Put in an "emergency" order for more ground cover early this week and it came today. Good luck to whoever is out hunting.

I resemble that remark!
    Congrats Texan on a fine kill!
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    I resemble that remark!
    Indeed you do as well....

Congrats! That's so awesome! I can't wait until I hopefully get mine this fall.

Excellent!!!

That is awesome. I can't wait until I come up in Sept. Thanks for sharing so I can live vicariously through you.