Thread: Fly Rod For River Chum

Default Fly Rod For River Chum

What do you recommend? an 8 or 9 or 10 wt? I'm fishing a river thats full of them and lots of them are big, always targeting the fresh ones, they seem to bite well. Normally Im just using a spinning rod but this year I want to catch some on a fly rod. I am kind of new to fly rodding!

Also what kind of a fly should I use? Show me picts?

I use an 8 weight for chums. I have broken 3 rods on chums. With that said all three snapped when the fish hit that fast current, and i put to much pressure on the fish. In my attempt to turn the fish the rod snapped. Any fly with black and pink works well. I typically use a hairy leech pattern.

you never said what your experance is with a fly rod ?? if this is all new you want a heave one 9wt or 10wt if you have alot of experance with a fly rod you can go to a 8 WT I like a 9 wt just so I can put the breaks on when I need to, Chum can run large SID

8 or 9 wt rod. A reel with a good drag will save your hands/fingers from line burns on a running fish. Most any color dali lamma or bunny leech will work. Chums are a lot of fun to catch, have fun.

I use 7 wt let reel put the breaks on not rod. Caught like 30 in Montana creek in one day. They love pink and purple. I used a pink starlite fly from sportsmans warehouse.
    Got to look good even in defeat. IMAGE is everything.