Thread: First bow harvest

Default First bow harvest

This is the biggest Black Bear I've harvested and my first critter with a bow. I used a #55 Bear Super Grizzly in a ground blind from 5 yards. I gotta say, using a bow is a lot more exciting and more of an accomplishment. Using a bow is going to make a better hunter out of me. I'm looking forward to felling my moose draw this fall.

While cleaning this beautiful boar after the sun fell behind the mountains, a slight breeze keeping cool, the cornices breaking off and roaring down the mountain, a pair of Harlequin swam by me 20' from me. This was a nice & calm, sprit lifting hunt. The simplicity of a tradition bow, a pack, game bags and knife can be relaxing. (Oh, and bug dope. Don't forget the bug dope.) One of my favorite hunts. It reminds me of a Fred Bear quote.

A down animal is most certainly the object of a hunting trip, but it becomes an anticlimax when compared to the many other pleasures of the hunt.
    -Fred Bear-
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stid2677; 05-24-2015 at 09:38.

Congrats,, thanks for sharing and good luck finding a moose this fall.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Congratulations..........nice looking bear. Five yards with a pointy stick........that will make the anal exit tighten-up......... I just realized that we are almost neighbors.

Very nice job. Getting back to basics. I'm sure it very satisfying.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by ASUS-DAG View Post
    This is the biggest Black Bear I've harvested and my first critter with a bow. I used a #55 Bear Super Grizzly in a ground blind from 5 yards. I gotta say, using a bow is a lot more exciting and more of an accomplishment. Using a bow is going to make a better hunter out of me. I'm looking forward to felling my moose draw this fall.

While cleaning this beautiful boar after the sun fell behind the mountains, a slight breeze keeping cool, the cornices breaking off and roaring down the mountain, a pair of Harlequin swam by me 20' from me. This was a nice & calm, sprit lifting hunt. The simplicity of a tradition bow, a pack, game bags and knife can be relaxing. (Oh, and bug dope. Don't forget the bug dope.) One of my favorite hunts. It reminds me of a Fred Bear quote.

A down animal is most certainly the object of a hunting trip, but it becomes an anticlimax when compared to the many other pleasures of the hunt.
    -Fred Bear-
    Traditional archery....FANTASTIC...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Congratulations..........nice looking bear. I just realized that we are almost neighbors.
    I was there Wednesday. Hiked Gull Rock. I love the forest out there. Gets dame humid though, but I like that Spruce, Birch mix.

Congratulations and welcome to the addiction!

Congratulations! And on top of that doing it with traditional gear makes it all that much better.
    I am no longer surprised at what I am no longer surprised at ---Bill Whittle