Thread: Ace line hauler owners?

Default Ace line hauler owners?

I came across an add on for the ace line haulers called the Bulldog. It is an add on that makes your puller a hands free unit and coils the rope on the floor of your boat. I like the sound of hands free but I can not find a single review on the internet to see how well these things work. Do any of you on here that own ace line haulers have this add on and how well does it work and do you like it. Thanks
    Tony

I've had one for couple of years. It's a plate that goes between the shieves mine wasn't called the Bulldog, there's at least two outfits selling them now. They work really well, hands free, although they work better with soft lay rope and yellow floating line works too.

I bought one and used it last season, I'm totally happy with mine. Sure saves my back, no longer have to hold the line tight, just let it do it's thing.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya View Post
    I've had one for couple of years. It's a plate that goes between the shieves mine wasn't called the Bulldog, there's at least two outfits selling them now. They work really well, hands free, although they work better with soft lay rope and yellow floating line works too.
    The Bulldog attachment is not a plate that goes between the sheaves. It is a addon unit that has a spring loaded friction wheel and a line peeler. The wheel is forced against the line (thus creating the drag for it to self pull) and the peeler ejects the line from the sheaves. You do skip the last pulley wheel on the bottom. And agreed it will work much better with the limp line Steve carries.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Whats happens if its blowing or you get hung down ???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Who goes fishing when the wind blows?

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I would imagine less then the Electrodyne Steve. From what you have said the ED will rip the pot off the bottom or break the line without even breathing hard.

If mine gets hung up and the Ace can't clear it I just tie off to a cleat and let the boat pull it free (either way I imagine the pot and or bridle will be destroyed)
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

A few years back I was using an Ace puller in a 15-20 kt wind. It reluctantly pulled the pots, but I ended up bending the arm right where it pins to the main part of the frame. Ace replaced the entire puller free of charge...including expedited shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    I would imagine less then the Electrodyne Steve. From what you have said the ED will rip the pot off the bottom or break the line without even breathing hard.

If mine gets hung up and the Ace can't clear it I just tie off to a cleat and let the boat pull it free (either way I imagine the pot and or bridle will be destroyed)
    No matter what hauler a guy has on the boat its the right thing to do when hung to cleat off and try to tow it off but with all the stretch in the rope it can get interesting in a hurry once you get off the power and the boat goes backwards !! I had my stern 1/2 way under water once like in Jaws.
    I'm sure the ace is only using friction to pull with they don't grab the rope like the ED's do.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

We have the Ace Line Pot Puller with the Bulldog attachment. LOVE IT. We don't have to hand assist the pot line anymore. The only problem we have currently, is that the pot puller is mounted in a weird spot so we can't put a basket/bucket/catch-all directly below it so the "auto-coil" feature doesn't really work for us. But, being able to sit on a cooler in front of a basket and gently direct it is way better than one person assisting and the other coiling.

Thanks guys gonna pick one up. I don't mind if it's slow. I love the size of the ace it's not a speed demon but it's pulled all of my crab and shrimp pots faithfully with no issues this attachment should make it even nicer. Just wanted to make sure it worked as advertised