Thread: September blacktails on kodiak

Default September blacktails on kodiak

Me and my hunting partner are planning our first hunting trip to AK! We are going to kodiak in september to chase blacktails and maybe get lucky and find a bou/reindeer. we have our charter flight booked for a week in the bush. we are renting a tent and fence from kodiakkamps. We are booked to go to the SW end of the island with exact drop off point not set in stone since we asked to be flown around to see if we can find some bou. Has anyone hunted that area at that time of year? if so any pointers or pictures of the country you would like to share i would greatly appreciate it!

I'll send you a pm. Best advice that time of year is get up high for bucks. It also helps with spotting the reindeer.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

2nd the get high advice - that's gain altitude (for the herbly challenged). You'll be fighting high (tall) grass, which makes spotting, walking and stalking difficult.

thanks guys. i live at 5k feet and hunt frequently from 8-10k feet so getting high is the norm for me. looking at topo maps the hills are about 50% slopes. assuming we are successful what is the best way to keep the meat from spoiling and and not attract bears?

Bear fence and if too warm, sink meat in waterproof bags as mentioned numerous times on the forum.