Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black bear hunting up the resurrection trail?

Default Black bear hunting up the resurrection trail?

Just a simple question.
    I've got cabin fever so bad right now. I was thinking of hiking up the trail and looking for a black bear tomorrow. I live in Soldotna, so I would head up the cooper side.
    Does anyone have any experience doing this? Should I try something else? I'm just trying to get out and get my head straight.

Any input or experiences would be greatly appreciated

Thank you, Kris

Definitely bears up that way, it's about 7 miles in to where you can actually get to the mountains, to the west of the trail is the river coming out of trout lake and it's always been too deep to cross so you'll want to concentrate on the mountains to the east and north f trout lake. Thick nasty alder like the rest of the peninsula makes it an adventure getting on the mountains. Plan on a multiday trip to get much hunting in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up limon32. I was planning on spending a few days back there.

I would suggest you start your hike/hunt in higher elevation country. Summit Creek trail. Or even better Mills Creek trail. I would suggest that where the trail heads down the mountain to the mouth of Mills Creek........that you keep going straight back Juneau Creek, keep high. I would be very surprised if you did not see at least four Black Bears and two or three Brown Bears. That area is open for harvesting Brown Bears.

Crescent Lake trail would be another good option.

Quote Originally Posted by fishcatcher541 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up limon32. I was planning on spending a few days back there.
    You can catch the resurrection trail, off of the Summit Creek Trail, and you start above timberline, in open alpine country. You can even peek into Colorado Creek on the route.

AGL... Please help me understand.... Why can't you just pm the guy with this type of information...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    AGL... Please help me understand.... Why can't you just pm the guy with this type of information...???
    Heck, send him up summit... With every other guy who thinks there's bears there. Totally easy hike, killer access...and I've been up there in the fall for several days for the last few years, and have seen NO bear sign up high, and only one bear, a brown, viewed at EXTREME distance chasing trout in the creek bottom
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Definitely bears up that way, it's about 7 miles in to where you can actually get to the mountains, to the west of the trail is the river coming out of trout lake and it's always been too deep to cross so you'll want to concentrate on the mountains to the east and north f trout lake. Thick nasty alder like the rest of the peninsula makes it an adventure getting on the mountains. Plan on a multiday trip to get much hunting in.<br />
    <br />
    <br />

Same reason this member didn't I guess
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

That would a form of prejudice. Helping one person and not helping others. Look, I am passionate about people putting on boots and seeing Alaska. "NOT" from some stinky-loud environment destroying ATV, but hiking the back country, and studying the wildlife. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...n-Change-a-Man

Skyline Trail is another good one to get above tree line quick, and I know of several bears taken in the last couple years

Thanks for the help guys.
    I don't want any feeling hurt or any arguments started.
    I really appreciate all the info I've gotten.
    P.S. I've killed enough stuff in this life, so if I don't get anything that will be less to pack out.
    We have a new baby and we've been caring for him since the first of the year. I have even wet a line since xmas. All I really care about is getting in the back country and glassing. If I glass up a bear that will make the trip for me. If not it will still be a success, provided I don't hurt myself.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    That would a form of prejudice. Helping one person and not helping others.
    Sorry, but the op was the only person that asked. You really just volunteered the info to the countless other people that might read this forum who didn't ask or probably had no idea about the area/s......until now. Like I've said before, if you feel you want to help a person that asks then by all means do so....tell him all your favorite haunts if you want. I've done it many times myself.....VIA PM. But to invite everybody and their mother to places that we in this area enjoy mainly because we choose to live here.....well, personally, I feel it's unnecessary.....

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    Definitely bears up that way, it's about 7 miles in to where you can actually get to the mountains, to the west of the trail is the river coming out of trout lake and it's always been too deep to cross so you'll want to concentrate on the mountains to the east and north f trout lake. Thick nasty alder like the rest of the peninsula makes it an adventure getting on the mountains. Plan on a multiday trip to get much hunting in.<br />
    <br />
    <br />

Same reason this member didn't I guess

Can't say that I understand what you were getting at here.....

Can't say that I understand what you were getting at here.....
    Simply pointing out that AGl isn't the only one offering public info
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Sorry, but the op was the only person that asked. You really just volunteered the info to the countless other people that might read this forum who didn't ask or probably had no idea about the area/s......until now. Like I've said before, if you feel you want to help a person that asks then by all means do so....tell him all your favorite haunts if you want. I've done it many times myself.....VIA PM. But to invite everybody and their mother to places that we in this area enjoy mainly because we choose to live here.....well, personally, I feel it's unnecessary.....
    Really? Resurrection pass is probably the busiest trail on the Kenai peninsula. Anyone who has even looked at a map can see that. My wife and I are out there all the time hiking. Resurrection pass and the trails to it are anything but a secret.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin476 View Post
    Really? Resurrection pass is probably the busiest trail on the Kenai peninsula. Anyone who has even looked at a map can see that. My wife and I are out there all the time hiking. Resurrection pass and the trails to it are anything but a secret.
    Oh I see......if it's already popular then it's alright. Well hell then........lets go ahead and invite a few thousand more down to go dipnetting....should be all kinds o' more fun when they get here...!!! I got news for ya pal...........how do you think all these "popular" places got that way?

Please indulge me a minute if you will.....

Years ago sheep hunting on the KP wasn't a very "popular" thing to do. And a few lucky locals had some wonderful hunts pretty much all to themselves and sheep were running everywhere. THEN enough people found out, that a reporter decided to write an article for the ADN titled...." Sheep Hunting on a Budget". Ted Spraker got word of it, got a hold of the guy, and begged him not to write the story. The reporter pretty much said...... sorry but it's my job, and went ahead and it got published anyway. The very next year and for years to come every wanna be sheep hunter from Anchorage and the valley were roaming the KP mountains. The amount of hunters up there skyrocketed. I remember friends of mine telling me guys were running everywhere shooting sheep out from underneath one another. Let me ask you.......have you gotten word how the sheep population is today on the KP? Yes, there are other factors involved of course but I think you can understand what I'm getting at here.

How is the internet any different than an article in the newspaper? I am as guilty as anybody else when it comes to trying to help a guy out and freely giving out info over the internet. I did it too often when I first joined this forum. Then a few folks helped me realize that I may want to keep some of my spots to a select few or else those places may not be as secluded as they once were.

No, not just anybody with a map go to these places. Most are told how to get there by others. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-Hunt-Question Check out post #6.

How long do you think these places will remain the same when this kind of detailed info gets out to anybody that has access to the internet...???

If you folks don't want to utilize the pm function I guess I can't stop you. So go ahead and after that we can all go dipnetting...... NOT...!!!

Oh I see......if it's already popular then it's alright. Well hell then........lets go ahead and invite a few thousand more down to go dipnetting....should be all kinds o' more fun when they get here...!!! I got news for ya pal...........how do you think all these "popular" places got that way?

Years ago sheep hunting on the KP wasn't a very "popular" thing to do. And a few lucky locals had some wonderful hunts pretty much all to themselves and sheep were running everywhere. THEN enough people found out, that a reporter decided to write an article for the ADN titled...." Sheep Hunting on a Budget". Ted Spraker got word of it, got a hold of the guy, and begged him not to write the story. The reporter pretty much said...... sorry but it's my job, and went ahead and it got published anyway. The very next year and for years to come every wanna be sheep hunter from Anchorage and the valley were roaming the KP mountains. The amount of hunters up there skyrocketed. I remember friends of mine telling me guys were running everywhere shooting sheep out from underneath one another. Let me ask you.......have you gotten word how the sheep population is today on the KP? Yes, there are other factors involved of course but I think you can understand what I'm getting at here.

How is the internet any different than an article in the newspaper? I am as guilty as anybody else when it comes to trying to help a guy out and freely giving out info over the internet. I did it too often when I first joined this forum. Then a few folks helped me realize that I may want to keep some of my spots to a select few or else those places may not be as secluded as they once were.

No, not just anybody with a map go to these places. Most are told how to get there by others. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-Hunt-Question Check out post #6.

How long do you think these places will remain the same when this kind of detailed info gets out to anybody that has access to the internet...???

If you folks don't want to utilize the pm function I guess I can't stop you. So go ahead and after that we can all go dipnetting...... NOT...!!!
    Being a life long hunter and fisherman and moving to Alaska 6 years ago I don't see what you are trying to hide. if there is a road to it or you can boat or fly there seems to be people there. almost everyone I associate with is an outdoorsman and we all know about the same types of places some are harder to get to, some more expensive. its not like people just realized that there are sheep on the KP and then all the sudden everything turned to crap. I remember when I was a boy that some kids went hunting, some fishing, some played sports, some played video games Etc. but now everyone seems to be a freakin "hardcore hunter" because they have a camo hat and camo seat covers.What I would like to know is what idiot with a map and internet access couldn't figure out that Resurrection pass and Ingram creek are very easily accessed? I understand what you are saying but I just don't think your seeing the bigger picture. It is all going to somehow get like dipnetting, Denali hwy caribou and PWS black bear. Everyone wants to go kill critters. I' not saying I have a solution.

Quote..." its not like people just realized that there are sheep on the KP and then all the sudden everything turned to crap. " Unquote

Actually, yeah, it was like all of a sudden people found out about the easy affordable sheep hunt on the Kenai Pen. Because of the ARTICLE.
    Just like now when I go surf fishing and find 2-3 other surf fishing on the beach nearby when just 5 yrs ago I NEVER saw others there. (And I don't begrudge them. Just making a point here. )
    If some folks don't get the relationship between publicity and effect.... Well, what can one say.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

I understand your position on this. So I will make you an offer, if you get the Alaska Oil Pipeline shut-down and disassembled, and if that results in 550,000 of the 735,000 humans in Alaska leaving the state. Then I will never, ever help the remaining Alaskans with information.

NOTE: I have no issue with the Trans-Alaska Oil Pipeline..........my issue is what it did to the majestic state of Alaska.

Sadly it will only get worse for Alaska, Alaska's game, Alaska's Hunt experience, Alaskan Fishing experience. The only good news, is that for those willing to get off the main trails, they can still go weeks with "NO" human contact.

After a couple of post's of where are all the bears, where to go, etc. I now have 2 more jackwagon's that have set up bait stations BETWEEN my stations. I could shoot bear off of their barrels, it's dangerous and ridiculous, they don't care, they have no respect. They got their information from this site. So thanks to 2 of the more common posters on this site, 15+ years of hard work has resulted in nothing but misery the last 3 years. To the posters limon32 and AGL, your sending idiots into the woods to ruin it for others. Not your intention, but that's reality for some of us. I know both of you didn't mean for that to happen, but that is exactly what has happened for me. I also had another 2 guys last year do the same thing last year, then they shot a small female brown, they didn't care that we are trying to help by shooting only large male brown bears. They shot a tiny little sow, about 3-4 years old, pathetic. I have had 3 years of local poachers using my site, one of them shot a small brown sow at my bait and the troopers never did a thing, nor did they even tell me it happened at my bait station. How do I know, well I caught the poacher and walked him at gunpoint to his truck, he hasn't been back since. He told me everything in person and admitted everything. Maybe this will help others from posting out in the open. Most of us have a lot to offer someone, to help them, but do it in a private message so jackwagon's and poachers don't get the information. Good luck to those out bear hunting this weekend. I will be headed elsewhere next year, too many problems down there anymore, not worth it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast