Thread: Towing a zodiac zoom inflatable

Default Towing a zodiac zoom inflatable

I have a zoom and it's basically vinyl but has tow rings ...would it be completely crazy to tow it behind my boat if I take it really easy or will it dismember my dingy?

I have towed my zodiac for miles, never on step though. I have seen others going 25+ mph towing inflatables
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I too have a Zodiac Zoom 310 and tow it behind my Wooldridge occasionally. Two weeks ago I towed it from Squirrel Cove to Surprise. We beat through 4+ foot seas at 5.5 kts and it was fine. I towed it with the motor up. I wouldn't pull Zodiac up on step, so this rules out long passages with Zodiac behind boat. Much easier to just carry it on top!

I'm not familiar with that model, but I do know we used to tow our zodiac all the time behind our cabin cruiser doing 15-20 knots. Up on step, the drag is actually less than slow speeds as long as it is set correctly. The trick is to adjust the tow line so the raft is in the right location on your stern wake, just on the downside of a wave rather than climbing up it. Just be sure that the bow doesn't end up right in the bottom of the wave as it can plow into the next wave and swamp. We pretty much always removed the outboard since that really increases the drag, especially trying to get it up to speed since the raft would be so stern heavy.

So I made a towing bridle last year but wondering if I tow with a rope attached to one of my rear eyelets or centered between them with another rope bridle?

And thanks for the replies folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Whelenator View Post
    So I made a towing bridle last year but wondering if I tow with a rope attached to one of my rear eyelets or centered between them with another rope bridle?
    If you don't have an eye in the center, make a bridle to each eye so your tow line is in the center

I would definitely not tow at a very high speed, especially if there's any wind. Those things can easily catch air -- my dad had his small Zod flip over years ago when towing it at speed and the outboard was ruined from the saltwater exposure.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

How do y'all keep those bridle lines out of the spinning assemblies?? I had thought of the centering bridle using some of the kids' floatie noodles ...sound reasonable?

Quote Originally Posted by Whelenator View Post
    How do y'all keep those bridle lines out of the spinning assemblies?? I had thought of the centering bridle using some of the kids' floatie noodles ...sound reasonable?
    I just use poly rope, it floats. Nylon will sink.

Ok thanks!