Thread: Life jackets for kids

Default Life jackets for kids

I am looking for recommendations for life jackets for my 3 Y/O and 5 Y/O grandkids. This is for use on my 24' Tolman. I am looking for something coast guard approved and comfortable enough I can get the kids to wear them without a continual battle. Do they make a float coat that size? Any suggestions that have worked for you? Thanks. Ken

Ken,

Our boys and their peers all used the Mustang Lil Legends life vests when they were young.

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/recre...sts?country=25

Key points are the grap loop at the top, the crotch strap at the bottom and the floatation collar at the top. I don't know of any float coats that fit kids that young.

Doug

That's a goodun, not only for size and comfort, but also for a critical feature needed in any kid's lifejacket (not bad for adults either): You desperately need a crotch strap in them. Otherwise kids can slip right out of them in the water if they raise their arms at all. Watched it happen. Very, very bad juju.

Thanks for the info. Ken

paul driving.JPGWe use the close cell foam water ski type PFD's for the grand kids. I think we got them from Overtons. They have the extra foam up around the collar along with the grab handle and the crotch strap. We found the close cell foam type are less baulky and with the neoprean (sp) material they have a snug fit and keep the kids nice and warm. Also they fit well under a jacket and are CG approved.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

I've tried several PFDs with my 4 year old and have found he prefers the ones sold by costco. They're coast guard approved and have a little elasticity that seems to make them more comfortable than other models he's worn. They're the only ones he hasn't complained about.