Thread: Any Spiny Dogfish eaters?

Default Any Spiny Dogfish eaters?

Last fall on POW island, I invited my buds from Idaho over to my lodge dock to jig up some P-Cod for dinner. We probably caught 20 or more before depleting the school below us in 30 feet of water. It was non-stop for an hour or so with specimens ranging from rod bending 30" fatties to some in the 2 # range.

Needless to say they were stoked about getting some freebie "white" meat since late season SE AK weather is usually blowing on any given day so most Charter boats have been pulled for the winter.

So my guys go back to their lodge and jig off of their dock. BAM! shark after shark comes up in the 15 - 30 pound range...Spiny Dogfish was the species. They sent me pics via cell phone asking " what are these? and can we eat 'em?" Yes was my answer as this is the fish that the Brits use in Fish-N-Chips.

They processed the one of two they kept quickly and prepared it like halibut. They all raved about it.

Anybody eat them regularly? I suppose I will try it when I get there in September but don't want to put any in my fish boxes for bringing home if they're not worth the weight in baggage fees when Coho, halibut and rockfish are my primary targets.

As a side note.....after fishing on POW for 15 years I never thought I'd eat a Great Sculpin......until last year. I catch them off the dock and some are up in the 5-6 pound range. So I bonked two and carefully cut some pretty decent fillets off them and batter fried them up. VERY tasty like a quillback or copper. Surprised me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

i'd like to see the pics of 30lb dogfish ???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Fish stories, like the 50# halibut that weigh 18#
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

We keep a couple but haven't caught one lately. Not bad if cleaned immediately. Dense firm flesh. Sorta like swordfish. I'd keep them more to eat if it wasn't halibut and kings coming over the side as target species.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

We've eaten a whole lot of them over the years. In fact our kids grew up tall and strong on them, mostly because a)dogfish were easy to get when we were poor students, and b)no bones to fuss with when feeding kids.

The Atlantic version is reputedly the most common species in English fish & chips. We bleed them immediately when coming onboard, hang them over the side to minimize the mess. Easiest bleeding is to just hack off the tail. Back at the beach, fillet and skin. Back home, cut them into serviing-size portions and soak overnight in cold freshwater to beat a faint urea flavor. We used an outdoor utility sink for years, putting the dogfish hunks in a big stainless bowl and letting the water drip into the bowl and overflow down the sink overnight. Now that we don't have that outdoor sink, we just put them in a bowl in the refer overnight with freshwater. Same-same in terms of flesh quality. Mild, sweet and firm. Frankly I vastly prefer it to either halibut or cod for batter frying, even if decades of guests have always complimented us on our "best ever" halibut fry-up. That should tell you how good they are.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    They told me the weights with the wide range of guessed weights. Maybe a case of big eyes and weak arms..... The pics were on my phone ...now deleted...The fella holding the shark is 6'3" and the fish is close to 4 feet long. Skinny in the tail region. Looked to be 15 plus in my guestimation.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy View Post
    They told me the weights with the wide range of guessed weights. Maybe a case of big eyes and weak arms..... The pics were on my phone ...now deleted...The fella holding the shark is 6'3" and the fish is close to 4 feet long. Skinny in the tail region. Looked to be 15 plus in my guestimation.
    What fella holding one ??? I kinda know what they look like

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I have seen them well over 20 pounds around Montague Island. I also have eaten them, they were okay, if you can get past knowing what a pain they are when you swarmed by them.

Caught a boat load of them off the mouth of the Kenai years ago. (long lining for halibut in the fall) Sold some and ate some. I prefer halibut over sand shark. Yes, some of them were probably 4 feet long. Don't know if they made it to 30 pounds though.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

We caught a bunch of these things this past weekend out in the chiswell area, we couldn't seem to get away from them. Now that I know you can eat them, I might just bring back a few next time.

I have also seen a pic of a friend that caught one in the 20-25 lb range, so yes they do get that big.

Great Grandpa lost his ring finger to one. Always hoped it was a big one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't want to know how many of these i did years ago.

Talked with a guy in mass that longlines them, notice he's using one of my Electra Dyne haulers for the job

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Man we sure caught our fair share this past weekend too. From Bainbridge to Monty. Non stop sharks. What a pain in the arse.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Man we sure caught our fair share this past weekend too. From Bainbridge to Monty. Non stop sharks. What a pain in the arse.
    and they are eating anything that is in their way

https://youtu.be/gy4avpfEaVw

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Wow. Steve you need to do some cleaning up around here.

27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Wow. Steve you need to do some cleaning up around here.

Me and a few more friends to help and still could only put a small dent in the population. The problem here is processing them, it quite labor intensive but the only parts wasted are the head and guts everything else is used.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I finally got the image from the guys who fished the Spiny Dogs off the end of their cabin dock., which they said were in the 20 plus pound range. I stuck the yellow and red lines on there to guesstimate the length based on the angler's known size. Might be closer to 15# than 20 but is a 4 footer easy.