Thread: Soft Launch on New Dipnetting Section

Default Soft Launch on New Dipnetting Section

Hi folks,

For the last three years or so I have been collecting information on dipnetting the Kenai, Kasilof, Twentymile, Fish Creek and the Copper river. I've traveled to each place multiple times, taking photos and video, interviewing dipnetters, etc. I am now writing the content, and when I outlined it, the plan sort of grew. I realized that to do dipnetting the justice it deserves, we need to offer as much information as we can, while still allowing room for discovery. At the same time, we have a great opportunity to preach the conservation message, and remind folks of the legal considerations.

It's going to be a lot of work, and I am realizing that I am not prepared to intelligently discuss the Copper or the Kasilof, or the hooligan fishery on the Susitna or the Kenai hooligan run. If anyone would like to help, I could sure use it. You don't have to write anything if you don't want to, we can do it over the phone. Just drop me a line if you're interested.

That said, I don't want to wait until it's all done before we launch, so I am releasing the pages as they are completed. All of these are a work in progress, so if you see something that's a problem, by all means let me know! We want this to be the most complete, informative, and accurate information available.

I currently have a handful of pages posted, and will eventually end up with a dozen or so. Right now, we have the following pages mostly finished:

Dipnetting Intro.

Dipnetting Gear

Dipnetting the Kenai River (should be complete some time this evening)

Dipnetting the Twentymile River

How to Fillet a Salmon (new page in a different section, but we are linking to it in Dipnetting)

Hooligan (this page is weak, and needs more information; it's scheduled for more content)

If you look at the left-hand side of these pages, you'll see our Dipnetting menu and will have a good idea of the outline for the project. I'm sure it will change a little as we move along...

Here is the main landing page; it's linked from Activities / Fishing / Dipnetting

Each of the locations pages includes logistics info, fishing locations, land use issues, legal issues, caring for your catch, run timing (we will include run charts for each area), available amenities, where to camp, environmental / conservation concerns, safety, and more. We want it to be comprehensive. At the same time, we don't intend to include every possible dipnetting location, as we want to leave room for discovery.

If you have comments or constructive criticism on this, post it here or shoot me an email. If you'd like to be involved, by all means drop me a line. I am working on this every day until most of it is done. One of the top priorities is the Copper River section, which may require more than one page.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Very ambitious project...lots of work!

Don't forget China Poot Bay and Beluga River...

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post

Don't forget China Poot Bay and Beluga River...
    Then there's the personal use fishery in Southeast, but I think they use gill nets.

This season we're focused on the largest fisheries and establishing ore core instructional content. We will phase in the smaller fisheries later. As you said, it's s big project. We want to do a good job with it. So, slow and thorough is the goal.
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay