Thread: Captain Cook State Park riding

Default Captain Cook State Park riding

Going to try to ride the beach at CCSP. Besides the obvious tidal issue, any other suggestions?

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/captcook.htm

You may want to check with someone about your wheeler being registered...I thought I heard somewhere that ATV's need to be registered to operate within a State Park.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by SteveAK View Post
    Going to try to ride the beach at CCSP. Besides the obvious tidal issue, any other suggestions?
    You might know this, but you aren't really allowed to ride the beach at CCSP, but you are allowed to access the beach at the Discovery Campground and ride the beach Northeast, which is not part of the CCSP, except for the first couple hundred yards.

If you decode to ride any trails off the beach, be considerate of private property. Cabin owners out there don't like unexpected visitors.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

There is also a new road out there that leads back to peoples cabins and such. They put railroad car bridges in at the creeks.Just another option if the tide gets to ya on the way back or something.
    Not sure exactly where it is but there is some new oilfield development out there. Watch out for it.
    I haven't been up that way in years at least the down the beach part. A friends dad bought property out there so we checked it out.
    Not a bad ride but nothing spectacular either. On a sunny day the view is nice.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    There is also a new road out there that leads back to peoples cabins and such. They put railroad car bridges in at the creeks.Just another option if the tide gets to ya on the way back or something.
    Not sure exactly where it is but there is some new oilfield development out there. Watch out for it.
    I haven't been up that way in years at least the down the beach part. A friends dad bought property out there so we checked it out.
    Not a bad ride but nothing spectacular either. On a sunny day the view is nice.
    If you decide to try the pipeline instead of the beach, be prepared to get stuck repeatedly in the multitude of bottomless swamps. It has gotten far worse over the years with the 'play crowd' going out with oversize paddle tires just to see how far they can go. The others in the group help them get unstuck. Meanwhile, the property owners are trying to access their cabins with a wheeler stacked with supplies, only to sink to the bottom of what the weekend warriors tore up.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    If you decide to try the pipeline instead of the beach, be prepared to get stuck repeatedly in the multitude of bottomless swamps. It has gotten far worse over the years with the 'play crowd' going out with oversize paddle tires just to see how far they can go. The others in the group help them get unstuck. Meanwhile, the property owners are trying to access their cabins with a wheeler stacked with supplies, only to sink to the bottom of what the weekend warriors tore up.
    That's good to know. Like I said I haven't been out there in several years.
    I have heard the road out at least a short ways is fixed up for the oilfield work that's going on but haven't ventured past the campground.
    I also heard on the radio they added railcar bridges to quite a few of the stream crossings so they aree much easier. It seems there is a guy who has gotten a bunch of volunteers together to work on this trail.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    That's good to know. Like I said I haven't been out there in several years.
    I have heard the road out at least a short ways is fixed up for the oilfield work that's going on but haven't ventured past the campground.
    I also heard on the radio they added railcar bridges to quite a few of the stream crossings so they aree much easier. It seems there is a guy who has gotten a bunch of volunteers together to work on this trail.
    Only one rail car bridge so far, on Leif Creek. Robert Ruffner spear headed that project to keep the wheelers out of the creek since salmon run up it. There are plans for a rail car bridge on Otter Creek and Seven Egg Creek, but the cars have been sitting several years waiting on the wheels of government to turn enough to get them installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/captcook.htm

You may want to check with someone about your wheeler being registered...I thought I heard somewhere that ATV's need to be registered to operate within a State Park.
    Nope, only Feds have that restriction WITH the exception of Eklutna Lake Trail. in the winter time. If you are on that trail when it is open to snow machines then you have to get a snow machine registration for it. (there is no "atv" registration)
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    Nope, only Feds have that restriction WITH the exception of Eklutna Lake Trail. in the winter time. If you are on that trail when it is open to snow machines then you have to get a snow machine registration for it. (there is no "atv" registration)
    Well it doesn't matter anyway, for Captain Cook State Park...as it looks like on the map they don't allow 4-wheelers in the Park to begin with. You "can" register your atv, they just give you a snowmachine decal/numbers.
    "Grin and Bear It"

We rode there once. You couldn't ride your ATV through the campground. You could tow it out and park on the street and ride the beach. Screwed up rule.

Agreed. Screwed up rule. Understand don't want ATVs zooming through campground but pain in ass leaving it back at main road and walking back and forth.

I drove through the camp ground a few days ago. Several site had wheelers that were not on trailers as if they had rode them there. One site had a side by side parked in it. The current host is not much for monitoring what goes on around there.

The beach ride is easy, just watch the tide. The no wheeler in camp grounds is a typical idiotic Alaskan rule. All they have to do is let folks camp there and limit the ATV's to 5 mph coming and going to the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    The beach ride is easy, just watch the tide. The no wheeler in camp grounds is a typical idiotic Alaskan rule. All they have to do is let folks camp there and limit the ATV's to 5 mph coming and going to the beach.
    It's easy if you stay out of the glacial mud.