Thread: Hunting trip options

Default Hunting trip options

Due to an extreme change in my leave dates, I am now pondering whether a hunting trip is even possible this fall. I originally was going to go after moose with my bow during the archery season but I will be away for training. Another option was a caribou or moose hunt in September but once again I've been told I have to take leave July 27th-August 9th. I know the haul road is an option but I don't know anyone else who is free to go up there at that time. Anyone have any ideas or need another guy along for a trip. 34 yrs old passionate hunter my entire life looking for options to get out hunting at a marginal time of the year. If nothing else I'll start planning for 2016. Thanks in advance
    Adam

What about a deer hunt on Kodiak, or possibly in Prince William Sound? Deer opens on August 1st. You could fly into an alpine lake on Kodiak on July 31st and hunt from the 1st-6th with a couple days leeway on your exit in case the weather closes in. My wife and I did this hunt (we're teachers and some years we have to hunt really early as well), and it was a really cool experience.

Also, during the rest of the fall do you at least have a day or two off here and there? You'd be surprised at what you can pull off in one or two days if you keep after it. Most of my hunting is of the weekend variety. I'd way rather have week-long trips every year, but we usually get it done on short trips.

Thanks for the info Brian. I had actually just remembered Kodiak blacktail after posting this. I too will have to primarily be a weekend warrior unfortunately until my time served is complete. Thanks again

Adak caribou? You might have to put in some miles to find them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adak is somewhere I would like to go but it does seem pricey to fly to in a commercial plane. For that price I'd rather fly in a bush plane lol. It is definitely an option and a great idea though. Thanks

If you have airline miles and a weekend pass, you can do a lower 48 hunt for Deer

Deer hunt in late July early august?

I would do an early August deer hunt on Kodiak if I were you. Don't waste your time in PWS if you can help it; better deer density and genetics on Kodiak (or Southeast AK for that matter). There's nothing like being in the high country in early August glassing for bucks!

That is definitely the direction I am leaning right now. Finding a transporter or plane and start compiling cost will be the next step. Also finding another person who wants to go along would be good as my wife's vacation is booked for weddings that she is in around that same time frame. Lots to figure out for sure