Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High performance build on a 5.7(350) Chev marine engine

Default High performance build on a 5.7(350) Chev marine engine

I have a KEM Equipment 5.7 in my 21' jet. I think it's a little under powered at 260 HP. I'm thinking of trying to find someone here in South Central AK that might be able to take my engine and squeeze it up in HP to about 375-400. I keep wondering if that would work or would I be better off dropping a 383 stroker in there. Any thoughts on the best option? My 350 has only about 40 hours on it. What would it take in $$$ to tweet that engine? I'd like to do it this winter when the boat's idle. I don't have the knowledge to do it myself.

Are you running a carb or FI 5.7? Short of a super charger, I don't think you'll get those numbers out of a 350. Everyone who has a 383 seems to really like the power. Have you checked out the Mean Chicken site? Lots of HP type guys on there and some good input. Haxby Speed in Vancouver pretty much lives and breathes this kind of stuff and might be worth a phone call.
    If it was me, I guess I'd just run it until I needed a new engine. I wouldn't say you were underpowered with a 5.7 in a 21' boat. It's going to cost you some $$ to get more power. Seems like lots of guys are eagerly awaiting the new Ford marine engines. I bet by next winter or so there might be some good deals on low hour 6.0s and similar as guys swap out their GM mills for the new Ford engines.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Imo you would be money ahead to pull your low hour 350 and sell it. Drop in a new 38 built how you like and have a warranty.

Ya not worth having someone work on that engine, by a zz383 or a supercharger.

Thats pretty much what I expected, the 383 stroker at 375 HP seems to be the block of choice. I believe I'll run the 350 this summer then swap out for the 383 this winter. Thanks for all the input, it really helped solidify my thoughts!

Don't look past a new 6 liter or ls3 either depending on your funds

The new GM engines KEM is showing look amazing. The 5.3 VVT is rated at 355 HP. Love to know the weight on it. I bet they'll be real cheap too......
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

The 5.3 will be about the same as the aluminum headed 6.0

The 6 liter makes way more power at a lower rpm that most pumps are suited for than that 5.3 di

Not way more power..... But a little I guess it's closer than I thought. Any power curves for that engine yet? And known costs?

I swapped out the kem 350 carbed 310 hp for a zz383 stroker 425 hp coupled to a 3 stage kodiak pump. Cheaper to buy the crate engine in a long block.

Just wondering. What do you want more horsepower to do for you? More top end speed, better hole shot, carry a heavy weight when out of your secondaries, able to get a heavy load on step at all, fuel economy (not likely)?

For every gain there is a draw back it seems. More top end speed means you spin the pump faster. Push a heavy load and you may need more displacement in the engine and/or more RPM's. You can also tweak the impeller. What is your pump? I have mine set up to push as much water as it can at the 3300 RPM area with a hopped up 351W. My 3 stage has a bigger nozzle and more pitch in the impellers. It slows the boat down some but it increased the amount of weight I can keep on step for a long Yukon trip. Just saying, there are other ways to squeak out performance without spending $10k or more on a new motor.

Quote Originally Posted by For Pete Sake View Post
    I swapped out the kem 350 carbed 310 hp for a zz383 stroker 425 hp coupled to a 3 stage kodiak pump. Cheaper to buy the crate engine in a long block.
    Hey Pete
    How did that work out for you in the end? Did it turn into the 2 Moose boat you had hoped? Is the pump holding you back at all?
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Worked out great, better hole shot, pushes more of a load 10 adults, lower rpms, swapped out 3 impellers, 35 mph upstream, 47 mph downstream, stays on step at lower rpms too 3400, wide open 4100, getting better fuel mileage with the stroker vs the plain 350. You can put all the hp you want into a boat but it comes down to fine tuning your pump also.

What impellers and nozzle for that kind of performance

Kodiak 3 stage came with front impeller 19*, middle 19*, rear 22.5* ran good but had a lot of rpms with the stroker engine so swapped out front impeller to a bullet nose 19*, middle to a 22* and the rear to a 27* also running a Scott trim adjustable trim nozzle with a 98 mm nozzle. The 3 stage pump really shines when there are a lot of sticks in the river, chews them up and spits them out, I have seen other pumps disabled by getting debris stuck in their pumps and having to winch the rear of the boat out of the river to dislodge what ever was in there. All impellers are stainless steel last set I had lasted 10 years they are pricey but worth it in the long run.

I'm running a bullet nose 19 Scott, then 23 and 24 with a 100m&m nozzle with a 350 and pull 4300rpm at 45-46mph
    I've been debating building a 383 or getting the zz383 for the future and am contemplating if it's worth it. Do you run 91 octane?

No just running regular gas, tried the high octane but didn't notice any difference, I am going to try a bigger nozzle 108 mm an see what difference that makes.

Get the crate engine less headaches, all u need to do is swap out intake and manifolds, alternator, distributor, took me about 6 hrs to do.

Your set up looks like it works nice with you getting those speeds, what length of boat are you running?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast