Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BOF appointment/3rd time around.

Default BOF appointment/3rd time around.

Well, the Governor says he has to midnight before he has to announce who his 3RD PICK IS. I GUESS WE WON'T KNOW Till morning, not unless his press secretary will be working late!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Dont know how to cut and paste, but great letter to the editor in today's pen. clarion from former adfg biologist and kenai river guide concerning bof choice.

All I know is the Governor did say he was impressed with his pick after interviewing whoever it is. Johnstone Was the primary sportsfishing guy so i hope the pick is along those lines.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Pretty sure I know who it is, and lets just say the person is right in line with the law.

Default Stop the Presses!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    Well, the Governor says he has to midnight before he has to announce who his 3RD PICK IS. I GUESS WE WON'T KNOW Till morning, not unless his press secretary will be working late!
    Peninsula Clarion fisheries reporter on top of it again....

http://peninsulaclarion.com/news/201...d-not-divulged

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Pretty sure I know who it is, and lets just say the person is right in line with the law.
    That would be the second one, as Ruffner was certainly in line with the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    That would be the second one, as Ruffner was certainly in line with the law.
    Now you can see why I said "in line with the law", Bob Mumford, retired trooper.

I think this should be a good pick, but not as good as Ruffner. What do you think Questforair?

Now you can see why I said "in line with the law", Bob Mumford, retired trooper.
    Ah, got it.

I don't know much about Mumford, but in the little I've read, I'd agree with MGM55's take - looks to be a good pick, but I still regret that we don't have Ruffner serving the state and the resource.

If only the law mattered. In the Ruffner confirmation we saw the law ignored, and instead replaced with political mandates like geographic location requirements, a divisive "balance", and assigned motives. Law?...what law.

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    I think this should be a good pick, but not as good as Ruffner. What do you think Questforair?
    I personally could not be happier. Mumford will be immune from the pressures by users on the KP and will be available to the many users in his home town who will undoubtedly provide feedback to him. My quick, and not in any significant depth, investigation, indicates that he, his family, and friends are outdoors' people, most of whom benefit from the dip net and sports fisheries. In my opinion the balance, while not required, but which has been in place for a long time has been maintained. Which, IMO, means that there will be few changes in UCI fisheries based on simply having a new member on the BOF, as might have been the case if the previous two appointments had been successful, especially the first one. I am hearing people from the valley who tell me that they are very happy with the choice. The governor got it right. Perhaps now he can get down to the rest of his business. And maybe some of those who so vigorously opposed his prior appointments will become more cooperative with him now. So glad to hear you are cheered by his appointment MGH55.

Quote Originally Posted by Questairtoo View Post
    I personally could not be happier. Mumford will be immune from the pressures by users on the KP and will be available to the many users in his home town who will undoubtedly provide feedback to him.
    Interesting take. I'm curious why you feel that users on the KP should not have any access/input with the BOF. Last I checked they were Alaskans too.

I would add that I don't know anything about Mr. Mumford, but hope that what I've heard is true - that he is reasonable. Of course, that would mean that he would be available to EVERYONE, not just users from his home town.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

I know Mr. Mumford and his family on a personal bases. His son and two of our boys went to school together for a while.

You will not find a more stand up guy.

His family is one of the most "outdoor" families that you will ever meet.

Mumford will be immune from the pressures by users on the KP and will be available to the many users in his home town who will undoubtedly provide feedback to him.
    Immunity from KP users makes for a good BOF member? Really? I would think KP users would be at the forefront of the BOF, considering that is where the vast majority of the State's sport and personal use fishing takes place. Does a good BOF member "immune" himself from certain users based on where they are from geographically?

My quick, and not in any significant depth, investigation, indicates that he, his family, and friends are outdoors' people, most of whom benefit from the dip net and sports fisheries. In my opinion the balance, while not required, but which has been in place for a long time has been maintained.
    No different than the last appointment - Mr. Ruffner.

A "balance" indicates certain BOF members represent certain user groups - exactly NOT how BOF members are to be selected.

See, what you're really eluding to are sides in the fish war, not a balance. That's why there is no statutory requirement for any type of "balance" on the BOF, and we've seen what this divisive "balance" does to the process and our fishery resources. "Balance" is nothing more than new terminology concocted by you and your KRSA syndicate - the fish war guys.

Which, IMO, means that there will be few changes in UCI fisheries based on simply having a new member on the BOF, as might have been the case if the previous two appointments had been successful, especially the first one.
    So you're happy there will be few changes? Are you kidding? We need dramatic changes at the BOF. The current process is failing Alaskans and our fishery resources. Status-quo is unacceptable. The previous appointment of Mr. Ruffner was hope...hope ruined by the same KRSA syndicate you support.

I am hearing people from the valley who tell me that they are very happy with the choice. The governor got it right.
    The governor already had it right with Ruffner. Mumford is a compromise. Not sure who you are hearing from in the Valley, but I'd be interested in what their concern is in the first place - please elaborate.

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    Interesting take. I'm curious why you feel that users on the KP should not have any access/input with the BOF. Last I checked they were Alaskans too.

I would add that I don't know anything about Mr. Mumford, but hope that what I've heard is true - that he is reasonable. Of course, that would mean that he would be available to EVERYONE, not just users from his home town.
    Did not say that KP residents should not have any access/input with the BOF. Those are your words. I said he would be immune from the pressures on the KP. I'm sure that you understand the difference. Mumford will willingly dialog with all users, but will not give in to one sided arguments based solely on emotion and hatred which seems to be fairly common on the peninsula.

I would like to see some questions about Mumford answered:

1) He was the lone dissenting vote in 2013 when the joint board agreed to create a Bethel Fish and Game Advisory Committee. I would like to know what his opposition to the formation of that committee was. Depending on his reasoning, that could be a problem.

2) How did he perform on the board of game and on the commercial services board? Was he impartial and responsive to broad interests, or was he myopic. I don't know, but I bet somebody does.

Did not say that KP residents should not have any access/input with the BOF. Those are your words. I said he would be immune from the pressures on the KP. I'm sure that you understand the difference. Mumford will willingly dialog with all users, but will not give in to one sided arguments based solely on emotion and hatred which seems to be fairly common on the peninsula.
    No, you said pressures by users on the KP. That's me - a sport and personal use fishermen who has no problem pressuring the BOF to make the right decisions on behalf of the fishery resources and all user groups, and that includes denouncing KRSA. That is not a one-sided argument based solely on emotion and hatred. Surely you understand the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Funstastic View Post
    Immunity from KP users makes for a good BOF member? Really? I would think KP users would be at the forefront of the BOF, considering that is where the vast majority of the State's sport and personal use fishing takes place. Does a good BOF member "immune" himself from certain users based on where they are from geographically?

No different than the last appointment - Mr. Ruffner.

A "balance" indicates certain BOF members represent certain user groups - exactly NOT how BOF members are to be selected.

See, what you're really eluding to are sides in the fish war, not a balance. That's why there is no statutory requirement for any type of "balance" on the BOF, and we've seen what this divisive "balance" does to the process and our fishery resources. "Balance" is nothing more than new terminology concocted by you and your KRSA syndicate - the fish war guys.

So you're happy there will be few changes? Are you kidding? We need dramatic changes at the BOF. The current process is failing Alaskans and our fishery resources. Status-quo is unacceptable. The previous appointment of Mr. Ruffner was hope...hope ruined by the same KRSA syndicate you support.

The governor already had it right with Ruffner. Mumford is a compromise. Not sure who you are hearing from in the Valley, but I'd be interested in what their concern is in the first place - please elaborate.
    Fun: You really need to take a deep breath. Maybe take a tranquilizer or something. You are truly way too emotional. If you don't know what the Valley's concerns are you have apparently been living in a cave or under a rock. Can't imagine you would ask that question. Truly unbelievable. And BTW, the huge majority of users live in Anchorage / Mat Valley. It will benefit them to have a local BOF member who has the knowledge and understanding of the importance of the resource to them, not just to those on the KP. Hogfamily has it right. Mumford is a standup man who will make decisions based on facts and not based on emotional mean spirited comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Funstastic View Post
    No, you said pressures by users on the KP. That's me - a sport and personal use fishermen who has no problem pressuring the BOF to make the right decisions on behalf of the fishery resources and all user groups, and that includes denouncing KRSA. That is not a one-sided argument based solely on emotion and hatred. Surely you understand the difference.
    Perhaps i should have said irrational or pressures based on emotion and not facts. But, I know you fully understood what I meant.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast