Thread: rockwell jlo 744cc problems

Default rockwell jlo 744cc problems

So my brother got ahold of a complete cage, prop, and motor set up for next to nothing. Its a Rockwell jlo 744 cc and runs awsome for the most part. We put it on a 12 ft John and alls great other then it dies every time take it out to test and will not attempt to restart. The spark plugs are new as of today and same thing. To me it seems its too wet to fire after a short time but I would think it would still try to fire. We get it to run perfect in the yard and then at the lake starts goes and Peters out and wont try to fire again. If anyone has any knowledge of these motors help would be greatly appreciated.

You may have a stuck float or dirt in the bow. Try tapping the carb if that fixes it remove the carb and clean it.

The carb has been thoroughly cleaned. I could see the floats being the issue maybe because it don't run rite after a trailer ride.

Quote Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
    The carb has been thoroughly cleaned. I could see the floats being the issue maybe because it don't run rite after a trailer ride.
    Check the oil (smell) for gas in case gas leak into the oil.

Its two stroke air cooled and the prop is bolted to the crank. The only oil is in the gas. Probly shoulda said it was two stroke to start with

Wonder why your brother got for next nothing. Wish I could help you but know nothing about that motor. With anything electrical, if that might be an issue, look at the ground. Good luck

Ok, let start over........is there a drain that you can remove to see if their was any gas that got inside the engine, where the crank shaft is?

No. The only way is to unbolt the heads and the whole thing comes open.

The vent is open on the fuel tank when you're in the boat?
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Yes we have covered all the possible human stupidities.

Not saying this is your problem...but I had a friend that had a boat that work fine, until you started to move, especially if there was any rocking of the hull. Long story short, the fuel tank had about 2 cups of sand/dirt/crap in it that would lay on the bottom of the tank, but when me moved, the debris would move and cover the fuel line. Took us quite a while to figure it out...rebuilding the carb, installing inline fuel filter/separators, and more did nothing to help. It had duel inboards and both engines would fail in the same way. Silly how a simple thing can be so hard to figure out. Hope you find a simple solution for your problem as well.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
    Yes we have covered all the possible human stupidities.
    You miss the most common one. IMP
    Not telling us everything you did so we don't have to keep asking, did you check the xxxxxx or xxxxxx only to find out you already had.

The check list for a 2-stroke is the same as a 4-stroke, if that helps.

Have you checked for spark when it dies?

if you go to southernairboat.com and register, its free, scroll down and they have a section on mini airboats. i would bet they would have somebody there that knows and has experience with that specific motor, and those guys are always happy to give advice, even the ones who don't know anything.
    Wasilla

Is this puppy up and running yet? What was it's problem?